Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket hubcap is difficult to remove

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Model 3 (Highland) wrapped last week and they also put new hubcaps on my car. They forgot to put the foam strip on the new hub caps.
I want to take them off now and apply the foam strip to the hub caps but they are very difficult to remove and I'm afraid that I will break them if I apply too much force.

The OEM hubcaps were pretty easy to remove. Is there a trick to removing them? Are they more difficult to remove because the installer didn't put on the foam strip?

Some of the aftermarket caps, have a foam strip that goes around the inner ring of the cap, because they go all the way out over the lip of the rim. I have these on my Uberturbine style caps for my 18" winter set-up.
1711645808768.png

I had a similar problem with the Yeslak Arachnid wheel covers. The problem with those are the clips: instead of having the more springy metal clips that are on the Tesla wheel covers, these clips are plastic with very little give. What I did was to use automotive plastic pry tools to dislodge each clip individually. You need to dislodge enough clips to be able to pull the cover out. Don't use a metal pry tool because you might inadvertently scratch your wheels.
As an aside, I wouldn't recommend keeping those wheel covers. If you have a need to take a wheel off your car (i.e. a flat), there is no way you can remove it quickly.
Good luck!