Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Sentry possible for pre-AP2 cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After seeing the videos from Sentry mode, I have been wondering, if an aftermarket solution could be developed for earlier models. Of course, I would not have the capability to do this myself, but it seems there are enough talented owners here.

Here is my thought:

1.. Many owners already have dash cams that could be part of the solution
2. The cameras in the front fenders of AP2 cars seem to have the same form factor as the earlier triangular lights. If these cameras could be retrofitted and connected to a recording system, it would already make a big part of the system
3. I don't know how Sentry mode detects threats - what sensors it uses. It would be great to incorporate sensors to avoid permanent recordings that result in unnecessary power drain

Thoughts?

Any specific models you have in mind?

I have a pair of Blackvue DR 900S 2CH in my S. One is Front and left side, the other is Rear and right side.
They are powered all the time, so 360 degree coverage. That's about $750 worth of dash cam - self installed.
You can reduce that cost by using Blackvue DR 750S 2CH. Looks the same lesser resolution. (Tags will be more difficult to read).
If you are really carried away, you could also install the a pair of 2 channel and add the Waylens in the center of the roof.

All this is still hundreds cheaper than replacing your car with an AP 2.5. There is no upgrade path from AP1 to AP 2.5 forget it.

• Informative
Reactions: IchDochNicht
...the cost of even two used AP2 fender cams is comparable to the Waylens with 4G.

I assume Waylens spends millions of dollars to develop their system using visual data, radar data, 3-axis accelerometer data, and GPS data...and its software to do the job.

Waylens is affordable because it sells to the mass.

It's not just the hardware but also the software that costs a lot!

Reactions: IchDochNicht
Is doable.

Original fender cameras have to be removed. And your own camera installed. Buy cheap 360 HD camera set from Alli express. Install to original tail camera too, as is 4 pin fakra .. fender cameras use 1 pin Autopilot computer coding system so it had to be replaced.

Over all my 360 camera set can’t be seen and it only costed me £180

Attachments

• 0865FD1A-B61A-405A-AEB0-862F9D1E28B9.jpeg
    0865FD1A-B61A-405A-AEB0-862F9D1E28B9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97