Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Side Mirror Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some idiot just smashed my driver side wing mirror :(

It still folds and seems to be working - but I need a new cover (white) and mirror,

Do I have to go back to Tesla (which I assume won't be cheap) or is this a 3rd party supplier I can order the replacement parts for?

Also, any idea what Tesla would charge?

Skull cap will be available (painted) from Tesla, shouldn't be too expensive.

The mirror I'm not sure they sell separately. I don't think it has a separate part number to the whole wing mirror assembly. eBay would be your best bet for that.

I had exactly the same done in July.
My part number was 1495594-00-A, skull cap (unpainted) £29.75, then paint was £55. Would have assumed unpainted would have been white. Would need to check what the "11" difference in part number means.
Model Y Performance.
Mirror glass was £148.75 though.

It still folds and seems to be working - but I need a new cover (white) and mirror,

Do I have to go back to Tesla (which I assume won't be cheap) or is this a 3rd party supplier I can order the replacement parts for?

I'm really sorry to hear about the incident with your driver's side mirror. It's frustrating when things like this happen, but I can offer some guidance on your options for replacement parts.

You have a few choices when it comes to replacing your mirror cover and mirror:

Tesla Service Center: You can contact your nearest Tesla Service Center to inquire about the cost of replacement parts and labor. While Tesla's original parts are guaranteed to fit perfectly and maintain the vehicle's aesthetics, they can be more expensive.

Third-Party Suppliers: You also have the option of purchasing replacement parts from third-party suppliers like Tesery. Tesery offer more affordable alternatives while maintaining good quality. For example, you can find a real carbon fiber mirror cover replacement here and a rear-view mirror with an anti-glare glass lens here.

You can use discount code “JULIET10” to get 10% OFF

I only ended up ordering the 1495594-11-A (skull cap only ) @£150 + VAT
They wanted £148 for the mirror and base alone so I bought a 3rd party one on Amazon for £30
Starting to see why my insurance keeps going up by 50% every year :)
Ouch.. I would not have thought the skull cap was £150+VAT! I would've assumed less than half that to be honest. That's eye opening for sure.

All,

My passenger side mirror *motor* assembly on my 2020 Model Y went bonkers after a recent cold snap and would no longer fold and unfold properly. There was no physical damage to any visible parts, I didn't hit anything, etc.

The mirror itself would still respond to up/down/left/right adjustments. It was the large folding/unfolding that was bonked up.

However, Tesla charged me US $937 for the passenger side mirror assembly, not including the colored cover (which was fine) and another $35 to put it in (it's an easy job), for a total of $972 before tax.

The assembly includes the little triangle of window trim, the bottom black rail/trim, and the motor assembly inside. It does not include the colored cover (aka the "skullcap").

They said the skullcap would have been an *additional* $125.

This seems insanely pricey to me.

There are a number of videos online showing the skullcap can be pried off and the interior motor assembly replaced, and there are used Tesla side mirror motor assemblies all over the internet, eBay, etc. However, Tesla told me they do not sell the motor assembly by itself or replace it.

Anyone else have the same experience? Does anyone know why Tesla doesn't replace the motor assembly alone? It's not that much harder a job based on a number of YouTube videos.

This just seems really almost exploitatively expensive.

R,
B

In simple terms Tesla aren't going to spend time disassembling assembled parts. If it's not laid out in the service manual then it's not happening. From memory the wing mirror only exists in the electronics part catalogue as two parts - the whole assembly including the glass, and the skull cap, in different pre-painted colours and unpainted.

There is a reasonable chance that some of the techs don't know much beyond what the explicit instructions tell them to do.

The notion that they might start disassembling assemblies is unrealistic, sadly. What happens if they break something when taking it apart? What if they can't confirm that it actually can be taken apart? There could be "one use" seals or fixings that can't be replaced once pulled apart.

If you want to DIY stuff on the car you're going to need to do it yourself, or take it to an everyman garage who are prepared to get stuck in. You could also just buy the parts from eBay etc from salvaged vehicles.

I suppose Sentry was disabled on your car? If not maybe the car caught the plate of the person at fault and you could report the incident through their insurance?

Not at all. I nearly fell for it too but though I'd double check as there there has been a bit of grave digging lately.

What are you guys even talking about? Fell for what??? I stated what Tesla charged me to replace the side mirror and solicited other owners for their experience to compare prices and also to solicit their opinions about why Tesla can't just replace the internal motor assembly, which a few people show in YouTube videos.

This is a thread about replacing the side mirror...is this not an appropriate thread to bring this up? I mean...?

I'm totally confused about what you think the "trick" was here or what you think you "fell for" here? I mean I'm genuinely astounded. What are you guys even talking about??? I mean...are you saying I fabricated the invoice? Are you saying there *aren't* videos showing people replacing only the side mirror internal motor? Are you saying the multiple eBay and other shopping options for the internal motor alone don't exist and I'm...what...making them up?

What....????

• Funny
Reactions: Js1977
Tesla Fan Bros are weird, man...like....

Again...I add a post to a perfectly appropriate thread about the topic I'm discussing and these two Tesla Fan Bros are like "DON'T FALL FOR THIS GUY'S POST!" Like...what? Fall for my trick of...POSTING A FACTUAL ACCOUNT OF WHAT HAPPENED TO ME with my Model Y and asking a question about replacing the internal motor assembly along to get the price down? I'm trying to somehow trick people? Like...WHAT???

Like...seriously...what are these two Tesla Fan Bros even talking about?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Js1977
Like...seriously...what are these two Tesla Fan Bros even talking about?
It was an old thread, when you replied it goes to the top of the forum and someone noticed it and started offering the OP advice that is no longer needed as the issue was already resolved months ago. Not your fault, just other people not noticing the dates involved.

Sadly WRT the mirror motor not being available separately - that's just part of our modern throw away society. I'm not sure Tesla are any different from most of the other vehicle manufacturers.