Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I did and it didn’t wake the T2C so it’s a proximity issue.

In this case I am not sure there is much to be done but stay farther away from the car when you send Remote commands if you do not want to have the T2C on. As far as I remember there is no way to reduce the iPhone or the T2C/Tesla Bluetooth power/sensitivity. A probable workaround (if you are using the T2C without a SIM) is to temporarily switch the iPhone hotspot off when you are at home (if you are not using the iPhone hotspot for anything else besides the T2C). Although this can become annoying to have to turn off the iPhone hotspot when exit the Tesla/T2C and have to turn it on when use your Tesla/T2C. Not much different then having a on/off switch on the T2C but still annoying.

In this case I am not sure there is much to be done but stay farther away from the car when you send Remote commands if you do not want to have the T2C on. As far as I remember there is no way to reduce the iPhone or the T2C/Tesla Bluetooth power/sensitivity. A probable workaround (if you are using the T2C without a SIM) is to temporarily switch the iPhone hotspot off when you are at home (if you are not using the iPhone hotspot for anything else besides the T2C). Although this can become annoying to have to turn off the iPhone hotspot when exit the Tesla/T2C and have to turn it on when use your Tesla/T2C. Not much different then having a on/off switch on the T2C but still annoying.
I can management this. I’m in a much better place now that I don’t need to fuss with WiFi. I will use this configuration for a while.

Thanks to all here!

I can management this. I’m in a much better place now that I don’t need to fuss with WiFi. I will use this configuration for a while.

Thanks to all here!

Yes, this setting to have WiFi auto connection between Home and T2C (and vice-versa) is a major improvement. When I tested several different settings out a couple of months ago and found out this specific setting worked the best it made a world of difference on the experience of using the T2C and this also the works for the Tesla Android project.

Thanks for the tip about keeping the home Wi-Fi set to “Remain connected when I drive” as well as the T2C, works for me.

So with the help of the folks here on TMC I think I have arrived at a configuration that is fully automatic:-
  1. The T2C powers up when I open the car door
  2. Tesla Wi-Fi automatically connects to it as I drive as soon as I am out of range of my home Wi-Fi
  3. The browser then loads the CarPlay stream
  4. When I leave the car it powers off
Took a little experimentation but it is now seamless.

Reactions: timeshifter
Thanks for the tip about keeping the home Wi-Fi set to “Remain connected when I drive” as well as the T2C, works for me.

So with the help of the folks here on TMC I think I have arrived at a configuration that is fully automatic:-
  1. The T2C powers up when I open the car door
  2. Tesla Wi-Fi automatically connects to it as I drive as soon as I am out of range of my home Wi-Fi
  3. The browser then loads the CarPlay stream
  4. When I leave the car it powers off
Took a little experimentation but it is now seamless.
Great step by step walkthrough for new owners of the T2C.

To be clear on point 1 - it powers up when you open the door because it's plugged in to the 12V charger (not directly in to the USB port where you would need an on/off switch) and therefore does not keep connecting to the car intermittently whilst the car is 'sleeping'?

Great step by step walkthrough for new owners of the T2C.

To be clear on point 1 - it powers up when you open the door because it's plugged in to the 12V charger (not directly in to the USB port where you would need an on/off switch) and therefore does not keep connecting to the car intermittently whilst the car is 'sleeping'?
When the car wakes the 12v and USB ports are activated. Early on with both the T2C and Tesla Android an on/off switch was recommended because some did not like the fact that the devices might power on and connect to the internet. For me, with the T2C this occurs while I’m in the house within close proximity to my car. The T2C will connect to hotspot via my phone. The on/off switch prevents this because I could power the device off before leaving the car. This way when the car wakes the device remains off. At this point, I’m not sure I need the on/off switch but will monitor and see how things behave.

For those of you who are leaving the T2C device powered on, how long does it take before it loses power after walking away from the car? Someone here timed it and I don’t recall who. I’m seeing that it takes quite a while, in fact, I haven’t seen it power off yet.

No, my 12v cigarette outlet stays on the same way the USB ports do so it gives me the same issues.

Instead I use the tow hitch harness to power the T2C. The steps to wire this up are earlier in this thread.

s-l1600.jpeg

Two major issues with this for me, and they've already been mentioned by others:

1) Lag - there's no rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes it's responsive, but most other times, it's several (10-15 at least) seconds behind. The map lags, the apps lag, touches don't get registered for a ridiculously long time. My phone is literally right next to the T2C, there's no other interference (i.e. I can be out in the middle of nowhere, no other devices around)

2) With my Tesla, I finally stopped having to go through the "keys, wallet, phone" check sequence upon leaving the house. But now when I get in the car, I need to check to ensure that (a) the phone is connected to the T2C, as it sometimes just doesn't want to do so automatically and then (b) that wifi is on and connected to the T2C and that (c) the T2C has connected to my phone's hotspot. All of this despite having "keep connected while driving" on for both my home SSID and T2C SSID. I even tried spinning up a SSID in my garage using the same name as my T2C.

Still, it's been fun to play with this though. It might be good for longer trips, but if it takes a good 5min to get up and running, it makes in-city use too difficult. I may keep this just to tinker.

Does anyone know if the Tesla-Android project way of getting CarPlay is any less laggy at least? (Since it still needs to use an adapter from the same manufacturer)

Two major issues with this for me, and they've already been mentioned by others:

1) Lag - there's no rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes it's responsive, but most other times, it's several (10-15 at least) seconds behind. The map lags, the apps lag, touches don't get registered for a ridiculously long time. My phone is literally right next to the T2C, there's no other interference (i.e. I can be out in the middle of nowhere, no other devices around)

2) With my Tesla, I finally stopped having to go through the "keys, wallet, phone" check sequence upon leaving the house. But now when I get in the car, I need to check to ensure that (a) the phone is connected to the T2C, as it sometimes just doesn't want to do so automatically and then (b) that wifi is on and connected to the T2C and that (c) the T2C has connected to my phone's hotspot. All of this despite having "keep connected while driving" on for both my home SSID and T2C SSID. I even tried spinning up a SSID in my garage using the same name as my T2C.

Still, it's been fun to play with this though. It might be good for longer trips, but if it takes a good 5min to get up and running, it makes in-city use too difficult. I may keep this just to tinker.

Does anyone know if the Tesla-Android project way of getting CarPlay is any less laggy at least? (Since it still needs to use an adapter from the same manufacturer)
try to move the device for a better wifi connection to the cars wifi antenna. The cars wifi antenna is not very good

I don’t experience any lag. I will pay more attention now that you mention it. I believe the Tesla-Android is about the same in terms of responsiveness.

I don’t experience any lag. I will pay more attention now that you mention it. I believe the Tesla-Android is about the same in terms of responsiveness.

I also do not experience any lag with T2C and have the same experience with Tesla-Android (no lag). It could be that it is a defective unit given all the problems been faced. If possible it would be a good idea to return and get a new one.

Reactions: jerome8283
I've ordered a new unit, just in case. In the meantime, I'm going to try a SIM in there instead of using the hotspot. Does anyone know working APN settings for AT&T? I've tried "phone" "broadband" "nxtgenphone" and the best I could get was the status screen momentarily showing connected, then going to disconnected. The unit shows a blinking red cell bar icon.

I've ordered a new unit, just in case. In the meantime, I'm going to try a SIM in there instead of using the hotspot. Does anyone know working APN settings for AT&T? I've tried "phone" "broadband" "nxtgenphone" and the best I could get was the status screen momentarily showing connected, then going to disconnected. The unit shows a blinking red cell bar icon.

I do not know the APN for AT&T but earlier documentation on T2C (when I used a SIM - now I only use the hotspot) stated that the only carrier in the US that needed an APN profile was T-Mobile (or carrier based on T-Mobile) and all others would not need an APN (the default factory setting for T2C). Nevertheless, the best way to solve this problem would be for you to contact AT&T and ask them what APN to use when using a hotspot device that needs an APN when using their SIM.

I do not know the APN for AT&T but earlier documentation on T2C (when I used a SIM - now I only use the hotspot) stated that the only carrier in the US that needed an APN profile was T-Mobile (or carrier based on T-Mobile) and all others would not need an APN (the default factory setting for T2C). Nevertheless, the best way to solve this problem would be for you to contact AT&T and ask them what APN to use when using a hotspot device that needs an APN when using their SIM.
It can vary depending on the type of plan or device you are using. However, for most AT&T plans and devices, the APN is "phone". I have also seen, "nextgenphone" or "wap.cingular" used.