Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ricksli : From what I understand, the Ownice device is capable of using your phone's hotspot, but you don't have that feature turned on, correct?
Yes an no. LOL. In the settings for Ownice on the car's browser, I did enter my info for my phone's hotspot info. But, I didn't see any benefit to having done so. I'm actually a little confused on Ownice's info about it. In the description above it says to allow hotspot from "other" device. I'm interpreting that as is it keeps the hotspot available on my phone open for other people in the vehicle to use my hotspot with their devices? (I don't recall if the hotspot became unavailable to others when I had the T2C).

So, a little more playing... and I think @timeshifter mentioned this... The Nav does work fine, but I was only testing it with my favorites/recents. Initiating a new search brings up Offline Address Entry.

But again, I'm still confused as to why the settings to enter the hotspot. That screen says it will give Internet Access but it doesn't. There's an internet icon with a red dot that I believe should turn green if it's connecting. I did see a post from someone on youtube claiming there's is working. Interesting that this is there but in anything posted by Ownice, they make no mention of it.

In the description above it says to allow hotspot from "other" device. I'm interpreting that as is it keeps the hotspot available on my phone open for other people in the vehicle to use my hotspot with their devices?
When I looked at that graphic from them that you posted I interpreted it to mean you could connect to a standalone hotspot, the kind that were more popular a while back. Although, you would think that hotspot could also be your iPhone but maybe not as it's doing lots of other communications to make this stuff work. But that is one way the T2C functions.

Upon further inspection of the graphic it makes sense. It says "When using T-box, it cut off the Tesla's 4G network, so we add another WiFi to internet access".

So what is T-box? Is that the name of the Ownice device?

Last edited:
Sooo...I found a further instructional video from Ownice on YouTube....I was connecting the Hot Spot correctly in the Ownice settings on the browser.

I don't think it liked the apostrophe in my Hot Spot name so I made it simpler. I entered into ownice, waited a minute and sure enough the Internet Icon turned green and now I have Internet as well. Navigation search now working and I switched over to the Tesla Streaming App...worked instantly.

Reactions: timeshifter
I’ve wondered too. And if the T2C originally meant to be only SIM has anything to do with issues? It also seems T2C 4.0 doesn’t require hotspot either but I don’t have one to see now.

These devices could all be from the same company as well. I’ve seen similarities on advertisements, description wording and shared reviews.

I’ve wondered too. And if the T2C originally meant to be only SIM has anything to do with issues? It also seems T2C 4.0 doesn’t require hotspot either but I don’t have one to see now.

These devices could all be from the same company as well. I’ve seen similarities on advertisements, description wording and shared reviews.
It reminds me of the hoverboards that were popular a few years ago. They were all over the place with different makes and models and sellers, but they all looked the same. All probably made in the same factory or they were all just ripping off one design.

I have worked in the device space for quite a while - the model is usually the ODM (Original Device Manufacturer) makes the raw device (main circuit board) and then sells it in quantity to many different OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers) who then productize it. The ODM will usually provide an SDK and reference drivers so that the OEM can customize both the packaging and the software experience to “make it their own”. That’s why you see many different shapes and sizes of devices getting marketed on Aliexpress that basically do exactly the same thing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
It's been barely two days since I started using the SIM on my T2C so it's early, but I think I may like it better. I had been thinking that I'd try the Ownice too, but they don't make a SIM version as version. I wonder if any other OEMs make a version with a SIM. I'm thinking some of my glitches could have been minimized by not having the hotspot needing to connect every time.

An update on my SIM usage for the last three days (vs using my phone as a hotspot for the first three months). I'm finding the experience a little smoother. I turn the device on when I leave the house and leave it on all day as I drive around to different places.

With the hotspot I often had to fiddle with things to make sure the Tesla connected to the T2C WiFi. That's pretty much a non-issue now as I can just leave the T2C on and the Tesla is always connected to it when I return.

One drawback is that my phone doesn't connect to CarPlay automatically most of these times. I can go to Bluetooth on my phone and it's not connected to AutoKit_XXXX. I click that it then CarPlay will connect. A few times I've gotten it to go by switching the on-screen (Tesla browser page) autoconnect off and back on or by clicking the name of my phone in the list.

Any thoughts on how to make that just go when I get in the car?

An update on my SIM usage for the last three days (vs using my phone as a hotspot for the first three months). I'm finding the experience a little smoother. I turn the device on when I leave the house and leave it on all day as I drive around to different places.

With the hotspot I often had to fiddle with things to make sure the Tesla connected to the T2C WiFi. That's pretty much a non-issue now as I can just leave the T2C on and the Tesla is always connected to it when I return.

One drawback is that my phone doesn't connect to CarPlay automatically most of these times. I can go to Bluetooth on my phone and it's not connected to AutoKit_XXXX. I click that it then CarPlay will connect. A few times I've gotten it to go by switching the on-screen (Tesla browser page) autoconnect off and back on or by clicking the name of my phone in the list.

Any thoughts on how to make that just go when I get in the car?
I suspect the unreliable reconnect is due to bugs in the T2C stack. Hopefully these will get fixed in an update or maybe the Ownice will be more robust.

So even though I got the personal hotspot to work, I wasn't bothering to use it since I just like keeping my phone in my pocket and don't want to take the extra steps to connect.

But then I thought, my hotspot info (name/password) is entered into the Ownice device via the Tesla browser. So on my iPhone, I set up an automation to turn on personal hotspot whenever my phone connects to CarPlay. Sure enough, it works perfectly.

I don't ever need to touch my phone for CarPlay/Ownice to work. Most I have to turn is turn WiFi back on the Tesla here and there if I've been away from the vehicle too long/not at home.

#timeshifter....thinking maybe there's something similar you can to resolve your issue with the phone connection like open the phone app every time your phone connects to CarPlay or some other function that will connect it.

I'm finding that if I click on the name of my phone on the Tesla browser page under "Select Pairing Device" it will connect to CarPlay. Same or similar to opening Bluetooth and picking AutoKit_XXXX. That step wasn't necessary when I was using hotspot mode.

Also, the T2C would automatically connect to the iPhone hotspot, there were no extra steps involved there. The inconvenience I found when using hotspot mode is that the Tesla wouldn't be connected to T2C whenever I returned to the car.

I've been using the T2C for my S and 3. One in each. I don't think the instructions were very clear to set it up but once I got it figured out after the first car, the 2nd was stupid simple. They seem to connect pretty much seamlessly and very happy with the purchase. I may go a SIM card but so far the hot spot is working well. Only issue I have is to make sure I power it off or disconnect it from BT on my phone as where I am normally working is within BT range of the car.

I am so glad I picked up one of these. It works a lot better with the browser on the S than the 3, but happy with both installations. Best $100 I've spent in a long time.

I bought one, but I don't have a tesla yet. Updated the firmware, it wasn't too hard. I don't expect the world from this device, mostly just want Waze and Audible.

In the past I've had issues with call quality with add-on carplay solutions. How is it with this device? As good as native Tesla Bluetooth?

I guess I could test this with a browser on my laptop, hmmm.
I use Audible all the time in my Y on Bluetooth. Never had an issue.

That's interesting. Does the S have a more powerful CPU than the 3?
I believe The newest S (and X) vehicles have a upgraded media processor even from the newest 3 / Y. The S and X that can run steam are the ones that are supposed to basically have "a playstation 5" type processor, where that was never promised for 3/Y even with ryzen processor on those cars.

So, yeah I think the S in @DayTrippin 's car has a more powerful processor with more memory than in 3/Y.

• Informative
I believe The newest S (and X) vehicles have a upgraded media processor even from the newest 3 / Y. The S and X that can run steam are the ones that are supposed to basically have "a playstation 5" type processor, where that was never promised for 3/Y even with ryzen processor on those cars.

So, yeah I think the S in @DayTrippin 's car has a more powerful processor with more memory than in 3/Y.
I believe the CPU itself is the same but the S & X have a dedicated GPU and more RAM.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin