Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ownice

Anyone successfully screen mirror Netflix from their phone to the Ownice/Tesla screen? I just get a black screen for Netflix & Prime.
Try using the Netflix website instead of the app when using Ownice. If using “tesla android project” you can use the naitive Netflix android os app because the developer took extra steps to support streaming content which is often protected by digital rights management technology (DRM).

Try using the Netflix website instead of the app when using Ownice. If using “tesla android project” you can use the naitive Netflix android os app because the developer took extra steps to support streaming content which is often protected by digital rights management technology (DRM).
I don’t think you can play Netflix content from an iPhone browser, it says to download the app to play anything.

Regarding that project, happen to have a spare RPi3b or whatever that I’m not using. Is it relatively simple to set up and is the Pi out of sight?

I don’t think you can play Netflix content from an iPhone browser, it says to download the app to play anything.

Regarding that project, happen to have a spare RPi3b or whatever that I’m not using. Is it relatively simple to set up and is the Pi out of sight?
I do not have an extra raspberry pie 4B. if you are in no rush, I’d wait for the kits the developer is selling which is based on the raspberry pi compute module 4, same as a pi 4B but better wifi antenna which improves performance in pre 2021 cars, built in CarPlay chip (no external carlinkit dongle), built in cellular modem (like T2C). I suspect boot time will improve from current 1 minute timeframe. Price, not known. you can keep an eye on the project’s Twitter, slack or Reddit communities for more info and questions. See project’s homepage for links to those communities.

I do not have an extra raspberry pie 4B. if you are in no rush, I’d wait for the kits the developer is selling which is based on the raspberry pi compute module 4, same as a pi 4B but better wifi antenna which improves performance in pre 2021 cars, built in CarPlay chip (no external carlinkit dongle), built in cellular modem (like T2C). I suspect boot time will improve from current 1 minute timeframe. Price, not known. you can keep an eye on the project’s Twitter, slack or Reddit communities for more info and questions. See project’s homepage for links to those communities.

Meant I have an extra RPi 3 that I'm not using (wasn't asking if you had one for me .... ha!). Thanks will follow along for now. Not interested in a 1 minute boot time, the 30-45 seconds on the Ownice drives me nuts even though I used to wait for my ICE car to warm up at least that long and wasn't perturbed. :)

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Meant I have an extra RPi 3 that I'm not using (wasn't asking if you had one for me .... ha!). Thanks will follow along for now. Not interested in a 1 minute boot time, the 30-45 seconds on the Ownice drives me nuts even though I used to wait for my ICE car to warm up at least that long and wasn't perturbed. :)
I see now 🤣. Just for people reading along, RPi 3 can’t run tesla android project. Currently a 4B & compute module 4 can.

For those waiting for a solution for the black screen based on Tesla FSDb Version 11.4.2 (2023.7.10) software installed:

- T2C just update the firmware today 06-12 and now it is working fine - no more black screen for me.
- Ownice latest update from 06-07 still does not work and there is no update today so far.

Given today's T2C update resolving the black screen I am assuming that Ownice will have an update hopefully this week to solve their black screen problem also.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
For those waiting for a solution for the black screen based on Tesla FSDb Version 11.4.2 (2023.7.10) software installed:

- T2C just update the firmware today 06-12 and now it is working fine - no more black screen for me.
- Ownice latest update from 06-07 still does not work and there is no update today so far.

Given today's T2C update resolving the black screen I am assuming that Ownice will have an update hopefully this week to solve their black screen problem also.
I no longer have a black screen after installing the new firmware that is linked above and then updating the Ownice and making sure not to change the wifi region setting and leaving it on China.

I no longer have a black screen after installing the new firmware that is linked above and then updating the Ownice and making sure not to change the wifi region setting and leaving it on China.

Thanks. Not sure if you have Tesla FSDb or not. My problem was because the Tesla FSDb update and related software updates. The link to the Ownice firmware above is not for a new firmware but a firmware downgrade. I was in that version when Ownice stopped working. I will wait for Ownice next update. As I mentioned, the T2C latest update fixed the problem and I will be using it until the Ownice has an update that fixes it also.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Thanks. Not sure if you have Tesla FSDb or not. My problem was because the Tesla FSDb update and related software updates. The link to the Ownice firmware above is not for a new firmware but a firmware downgrade. I was in that version when Ownice stopped working. I will wait for Ownice next update. As I mentioned, the T2C latest update fixed the problem and I will be using it until the Ownice has an update that fixes it also.
Ah, no FSDb at my end.

Tesla just pushed a new FSDb- can you let us know if it’s still working post update ?

CarLinKit T2C is flashing all red about 3 seconds after turning on after my attempt to install the latest firmware failed at about 80%. I’ve whatsapp messaged them but if this isn’t fixed soon I will demand a refund
More news: found that I can still connect to the CarLinKit T2C by connecting iPhone to the unit’s Wi-Fi, and then going to 192.168.3.1 from iPhone and redoing the firmware upgrade. It then started to function. My Tesla M3 is now on 2023.7.15 and the CarLinKit on newest available firmware. This has solved all issues and I no longer see the black screen. It works. At least for now.

However, I’ve had nothing but issues (as mentioned previously in this thread, so I wouldn’t recommend buying this!

Ownice

So I think I’m still not connecting via hotspot. I’ve set up the name of my iPhone and the hotspot password into the Configure tab of the Ownice. Made sure the hotspot is on with Allow others to Join and Maximize compatibility on as well.

But I’m unable to use any of the Tesla’s premium services?

Any ideas?

T2C

Anyone having issue that the device wife just off (only the power light is on on the device) after a while (I didn't time it how long). I need to unplug and plug in again to restart the device then I can connect to it again. I got a replacement recently as I had this issue for the old one but now the new one having the same issue. I'm wondering is it something wrong with my phone as I see the phone sometime will reconnect (the carplay appear on iPhone) multiple times.