Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T2C

Anyone having issue that the device wife just off (only the power light is on on the device) after a while (I didn't time it how long). I need to unplug and plug in again to restart the device then I can connect to it again. I got a replacement recently as I had this issue for the old one but now the new one having the same issue. I'm wondering is it something wrong with my phone as I see the phone sometime will reconnect (the carplay appear on iPhone) multiple times.
typo, I mean wifi

The T2C has been good for me. I’ve had a few issues, nothing that I could not overcome. Lately its been solid though. One should not set high expectations for any of the CarPlay aftermarket solutions.
I think I may have solved my issues, at least for the most part, by never turning off access to the personal hotspot on my iPhone. I always activated the iPhone hotspot before turning on (by USB switch) the CarLinKit T2C, and kept it on all the time the T2C was powered. However, I used to turn off the iPhone hotspot when I wasn’t using the T2C because I don’t like it broadcasting all the time to the world (even with a very secure password) and I also think it saves at least a small amount of iPhone battery. Once I started leaving the iPhone’s hotspot on all the time, the T2C is connecting much more reliably.

I also find that leaving the T2C Wi-Fi item in the iPhone, but set to not autoconnect, helps as well. I used to follow guidance to completely forget the T2C Wi-Fi from the iPhone but things have been better since I leave it there. The connection within the iPhone between Bluetooth and Wi-Fi is a bit of a mystery.

I wonder if my experience is the same as other T2C owners?

Does Tesla allow premium services without paying? I think if you connect to Wi-Fi, you can use the browser and music services and a few others, but I don’t think you can get live road conditions (like yellow and red roads on the Tesla in-car map) and live sentry camera feed to phone. I’d love to be proven wrong, but I think those services require a Tesla subscription by design.

I find the T2C is wonky. Somrimes it magically connects and other times it is impossible and need to start over. Anyone figured out the best order (steps) to connect this thing??

I think I may have solved my issues, at least for the most part, by never turning off access to the personal hotspot on my iPhone. I always activated the iPhone hotspot before turning on (by USB switch) the CarLinKit T2C, and kept it on all the time the T2C was powered. However, I used to turn off the iPhone hotspot when I wasn’t using the T2C because I don’t like it broadcasting all the time to the world (even with a very secure password) and I also think it saves at least a small amount of iPhone battery. Once I started leaving the iPhone’s hotspot on all the time, the T2C is connecting much more reliably.

I also find that leaving the T2C Wi-Fi item in the iPhone, but set to not autoconnect, helps as well. I used to follow guidance to completely forget the T2C Wi-Fi from the iPhone but things have been better since I leave it there. The connection within the iPhone between Bluetooth and Wi-Fi is a bit of a mystery.

I wonder if my experience is the same as other T2C owners?
I always leave hotspot on, even prior to owning the T2C. I could see not having this on creating problems.

I believe WiFi is needed for CarPlay although you will not see an active connection. Wireless CarPlay relies on a direct wireless connection between your iPhone and the vehicle. It uses a combination of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Direct to establish a connection, but it does not utilize your phone's Wi-Fi network for data transfer. This means that even if your phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network, wireless CarPlay will not use that connection. Instead, it establishes a separate wireless connection with the vehicle for CarPlay functionality. I have the T2C WiFi connection on my phone as well but again, I don’t see a connection when the T2C is in use.

I find the T2C is wonky. Somrimes it magically connects and other times it is impossible and need to start over. Anyone figured out the best order (steps) to connect this thing??
As I mentioned a few threads ago, the T2C has been stable for me. Early on I experienced connection issues but it’s been stable. I turn my device off while home via a usb switch. I don’t think this is necessary, just my preference. When I hop in the car to leave my home I switch the T2C on. As soon as I drive away, it drops my home network and T2C connects via WiFi. I have manually connect to its webpage the first time. After this initial manual connection, the T2C auto connects when returning to the car, even if I power it off/on it will automatically connect within 10-20 secs. You must set the T2C WiFi connection via the Tesla to remain connected in Drive.

Reactions: CDrury
Thanks. Makes sense. I just find it weird that, if I turn the hotspot off after turning off the T2C completely and then turn the hotspot on again well before turning on the T2C. That seems enough to ruin the setup and requires endless jiggering. I always realized the hotspot needed to be on for the CarPlay to work and was always very diligent about making sure it was on the whole time the T2C had power. But apparently turning the hotspot off, even if only while the T2C is completely unpowered, is enough to change something in the iPhone that modifies the Bluetooth PAN connection and ruins the interplay among all the moving parts. It would be good if the T2C documentation explained this.

Ownice T3

One extra tip I have which would apply to both T2C and Ownice is an easy way to switch on Tesla Wi-Fi if you have started driving before it has connected to your device.

A quick button press to switch into Park for 1-2 seconds re-enables Wi-Fi and will quickly establish a connection to the CarPlay box assuming it has already booted up.

Obviously requires the car to be stopped but I find this is useful after backing out of a space or at an intersection/traffic light and saves 4 button presses versus manually re-enabling Wi-Fi using the screen.

Reactions: timeshifter
I haven't read through all 41 pages of this post I will say at the outset. I am a brand new Tesla owner, 2023 M3LR, and discovering things gradually. I have a few questions regarding pursuing an Apple Car Play device connected via WiFi to Tesla Web Browser:

1) Does the Web Browser continue to play music when Hidden but not Closed?
2) Is the music transmission via WiFi lossless and uncompressed?
3) Is it possible to display photos or play videos from iPhone Photos App over this car play connection? I haven't seen that icon in an screenshots. It would be nice to be able to do that.
4) Can this connection be made seamlessly, automatically and reliably without a lot of coddling the devices?
5) Can any app on iPhone be launched and displayed on Tesla browser without just mirroring the iPhone display?

So what I have learned so far about the Tesla infotainment system:
a) it will play iPhone music files but it requires a lot of interaction with the phone which is a distraction. It doesn't always show a playlist under bluetooth device unless a playlist has been selected on the phone and if it does show a playlist when all songs is selected on iPhone, it won't scroll all the way down - maybe only the first 50% or less of songs in alphabetical order. I have a lot of mp3 songs on my phone.
b) it doesn't allow using the Tesla display slider to jump ahead in a song - has to be done on phone
c) despite ripping songs to Apple lossless format and storing in music library, the transmission over BlueTooth is compressed and not lossless, so what's the point
d) I do find Tesla navigation maps to not be precise about showing position accurately relative to immediately pending turn, in which case iPhone Google maps would be a plus
e) Using voice command to Plays <song> by <artist> doesn't seem to work properly with Bluetooth connection to iPhone - it seems it selects a streaming app version instead.

For me the most important application is to play lossless audio over the Tesla premium sound system which I am quite pleased with, and I do like to sit in my car and just listen to music while I am parked - if I could easily manuever and had enough space to play my acoustic guitar inside the car I would do that too. Lol. I have done a trial to use the glovebox USB-A port with a SDHC card with 2 disc partitions, one for TeslaCam and other for media. It works quite well so far. It achieves the functionality and sound quality of a CD player and the capacity is huge although I understand it may use excessive Tesla processor resources if it has to index 100s of songs. I find it will play these formats: FLAC, WAV, MP3 and M4A equally well, although M4A files take longer to load. For those formats that store meta-data, I find the organization tabs Songs, Artists, Album, Genre, Folder work perfectly. I didn't really need to embed the disc number-track number in my song titles ripped to FLAC. Artwork, however, is only displayed for mp3 files it seems, although I have heard there may be ways to get artwork into Flac files (currently using Exact Audi Copy to rip CDs). There is no way I could ever store my entire CD collection in lossless format on my iPhone. An external USB drive is a good solution and much. cheaper than buying an Apple product with higher memory capacity. I am currently trying a single 256GB Samsung Pro Endurance SDHC card for TeslaCam + media - 128GB each partition. I have concerns about specs for continuous max temperature operating condition for many EXT SSD drives, but that discussion is for a different thread. As long as it doesn't jeopardize recording of a critical camera video I think it is my best option for music, and the display of song titles for the USB device are quite readable without my reading glasses.

Reactions: beachmiles
I haven't read through all 41 pages of this post I will say at the outset. I am a brand new Tesla owner, 2023 M3LR, and discovering things gradually. I have a few questions regarding pursuing an Apple Car Play device connected via WiFi to Tesla Web Browser:

1) Does the Web Browser continue to play music when Hidden but not Closed?
yes, because all of these except for one transmit audio via phone Bluetooth to tesla Bluetooth . Tesla android project (open source raspberry pi based) can transmit audio from phone Bluetooth to car Bluetooth OR phone to carlinkit cpc200-ccpa dongle connected to raspberry pi (wired CarPlay or wireless) the dongle passes audio to raspberry pi which can be set to transmit audio @ 48khz pcm (uncompressed higher than cd disc quality) to tesla browser via wifi.

2) Is the music transmission via WiFi lossless and uncompressed?

none of the systems support lossless music because they use Bluetooth which adds compression EXCEPT tesla android project. As I mentioned tesla android project has multiple modes for sending audio and can send audio to the tesla browser using 48khz pcm (uncompressed audio). you can also install android OS version of Apple Music on the tesla android And download Apple Lossless media the. send the audio to tesla browser via 48khz pcm uncompressed audio 😎. I playback flac audio files too. That being said when I really want hq music, I got my favorites on a usb-c stick plugged in to my car’s center consol. I modified my 2022 model y usb-c ports so they could handle data too. Like many of these systems they work best in newer cars built after 2020 or so.
3) Is it possible to display photos or play videos from iPhone Photos App over this car play connection? I haven't seen that icon in an screenshots. It would be nice to be able to do that.
4) Can this connection be made seamlessly, automatically and reliably without a lot of coddling the devices?
5) Can any app on iPhone be launched and displayed on Tesla browser without just mirroring the iPhone display?

So what I have learned so far about the Tesla infotainment system:
a) it will play iPhone music files but it requires a lot of interaction with the phone which is a distraction. It doesn't always show a playlist under bluetooth device unless a playlist has been selected on the phone and if it does show a playlist when all songs is selected on iPhone, it won't scroll all the way down - maybe only the first 50% or less of songs in alphabetical order. I have a lot of mp3 songs on my phone.
b) it doesn't allow using the Tesla display slider to jump ahead in a song - has to be done on phone
c) despite ripping songs to Apple lossless format and storing in music library, the transmission over BlueTooth is compressed and not lossless, so what's the point
d) I do find Tesla navigation maps to not be precise about showing position accurately relative to immediately pending turn, in which case iPhone Google maps would be a plus
e) Using voice command to Plays <song> by <artist> doesn't seem to work properly with Bluetooth connection to iPhone - it seems it selects a streaming app version instead.

For me the most important application is to play lossless audio over the Tesla premium sound system which I am quite pleased with, and I do like to sit in my car and just listen to music while I am parked - if I could easily manuever and had enough space to play my acoustic guitar inside the car I would do that too. Lol. I have done a trial to use the glovebox USB-A port with a SDHC card with 2 disc partitions, one for TeslaCam and other for media. It works quite well so far. It achieves the functionality and sound quality of a CD player and the capacity is huge although I understand it may use excessive Tesla processor resources if it has to index 100s of songs. I find it will play these formats: FLAC, WAV, MP3 and M4A equally well, although M4A files take longer to load. For those formats that store meta-data, I find the organization tabs Songs, Artists, Album, Genre, Folder work perfectly. I didn't really need to embed the disc number-track number in my song titles ripped to FLAC. Artwork, however, is only displayed for mp3 files it seems, although I have heard there may be ways to get artwork into Flac files (currently using Exact Audi Copy to rip CDs). There is no way I could ever store my entire CD collection in lossless format on my iPhone. An external USB drive is a good solution and much. cheaper than buying an Apple product with higher memory capacity. I am currently trying a single 256GB Samsung Pro Endurance SDHC card for TeslaCam + media - 128GB each partition. I have concerns about specs for continuous max temperature operating condition for many EXT SSD drives, but that discussion is for a different thread. As long as it doesn't jeopardize recording of a critical camera video I think it is my best option for music, and the display of song titles for the USB device are quite readable without my reading glasses.

Thanks. Makes sense. I just find it weird that, if I turn the hotspot off after turning off the T2C completely and then turn the hotspot on again well before turning on the T2C. That seems enough to ruin the setup and requires endless jiggering. I always realized the hotspot needed to be on for the CarPlay to work and was always very diligent about making sure it was on the whole time the T2C had power. But apparently turning the hotspot off, even if only while the T2C is completely unpowered, is enough to change something in the iPhone that modifies the Bluetooth PAN connection and ruins the interplay among all the moving parts. It would be good if the T2C documentation explained this.
I tried turning off hotspot over night and this morning turn it on and the T2C connected without a problem. Not sure why your experience differs.

yes, because all of these except for one transmit audio via phone Bluetooth to tesla Bluetooth . Tesla android project (open source raspberry pi based) can transmit audio from phone Bluetooth to car Bluetooth OR phone to carlinkit cpc200-ccpa dongle connected to raspberry pi (wired CarPlay or wireless) the dongle passes audio to raspberry pi which can be set to transmit audio @ 48khz pcm (uncompressed higher than cd disc quality) to tesla browser via wifi.

none of the systems support lossless music because they use Bluetooth which adds compression EXCEPT tesla android project. As I mentioned tesla android project has multiple modes for sending audio and can send audio to the tesla browser using 48khz pcm (uncompressed audio). you can also install android OS version of Apple Music on the tesla android And download Apple Lossless media the. send the audio to tesla browser via 48khz pcm uncompressed audio 😎. I playback flac audio files too. That being said when I really want hq music, I got my favorites on a usb-c stick plugged in to my car’s center consol. I modified my 2022 model y usb-c ports so they could handle data too. Like many of these systems they work best in newer cars built after 2020 or so.
I tried turning off hotspot over night and this morning turn it on and the T2C connected without a problem. Not sure why your experience differs.
Interesting. I really appreciate your reporting this. It's so helpful to hear from others who graciously share their thoughts and ideas and experiences here.

Although the T2C isn't an exact copy of the Raspberry Pi Android project, I think it has some similarities. I have a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B at home that runs my home automation and private VPN, so if I have spare time, I might delve into the specifics of the Android project on RPi and see if I can understand the networking better.

It's possible that the new T2C firmware (from the last week or so) fixed the problem and I just changed multiple things at once, but it might also be that you wouldn't have had the problem I have with the earlier firmware either. Maybe it's a strange network setting somewhere in my iPhone and something specific to me.

In any case, I feel grateful that I have much better reliability now.

If I get brave and have time, I might try disabling the hotspot again and seeing if things have improved for me (again, while realizing that the personal hotspot does have to be on any time the T2C is powered—that's a given), just because I prefer to have the hotspot disabled when it isn't being used.

• Informative
More news: found that I can still connect to the CarLinKit T2C by connecting iPhone to the unit’s Wi-Fi, and then going to 192.168.3.1 from iPhone and redoing the firmware upgrade. It then started to function. My Tesla M3 is now on 2023.7.15 and the CarLinKit on newest available firmware. This has solved all issues and I no longer see the black screen. It works. At least for now.

However, I’ve had nothing but issues (as mentioned previously in this thread, so I wouldn’t recommend buying this!
What is the newest available firmware for the T2C?

Ownice

Just noticed something odd this morning driving into work. I usually keep audio off on Waze, but decided to turn it on. The voice was Japanese (well, pretty sure it was Japanese...Asian language in any event).

My phone Waze app is definitely in English, and I don't see a setting in Carplay/Ownice that allows me to change the language.

Any idea why Waze audio would not be in English?

I've read through the whole thread yesterday and I'm trying to decide which way to go with setting something up in the MY.

I use Android phones while the wife uses an iPhone. From the posts here, perhaps unsurprisingly, it looks like the T2C/Ownice boxes are mostly being used for CarPlay/iPhones. Does the T2C/CarlinKit work OK with Android Auto as well? Any feedback from anyone? I think there's another thread on here for the Tesla Android Project so I'll go read more there for the DIY/Raspberry Pi solution.

Also noticed that the T2C/CarlinKit in on sale for $69.99 at the official(?) website through June 30th so it's kind of in the "why not?" impulse buy territory so might grab one here soon just to play with. Looks like the Ownice T3 is ~$110 on AliExpress.. am I looking at the right listing? From the comparison posts I've read here, it doesn't look like there's much difference between it and the T1 (which is ~$88)... I had a good chuckle at the "better battery" or whatever support feedback. Did most of you go with the T3 anyway since it's newer?

• Informative
I've read through the whole thread yesterday and I'm trying to decide which way to go with setting something up in the MY.

I use Android phones while the wife uses an iPhone. From the posts here, perhaps unsurprisingly, it looks like the T2C/Ownice boxes are mostly being used for CarPlay/iPhones. Does the T2C/CarlinKit work OK with Android Auto as well? Any feedback from anyone? I think there's another thread on here for the Tesla Android Project so I'll go read more there for the DIY/Raspberry Pi solution.

Also noticed that the T2C/CarlinKit in on sale for $69.99 at the official(?) website through June 30th so it's kind of in the "why not?" impulse buy territory so might grab one here soon just to play with. Looks like the Ownice T3 is ~$110 on AliExpress.. am I looking at the right listing? From the comparison posts I've read here, it doesn't look like there's much difference between it and the T1 (which is ~$88)... I had a good chuckle at the "better battery" or whatever support feedback. Did most of you go with the T3 anyway since it's newer?
I bought the T2C recently on a why not impulse and use it with Android Auto. I have only used it on a handful of short drives so don't have a lot of experience with it. One issue with Android and T2C is that Android won't share your phone's internet connection with it, so if you need/want to use other networked connected services in the car (e.g. Tesla streaming apps, 3rd party services like TeslaFi, etc.) you will need to use a SIM card. This also caused an issue when initially setting it up as I had to download new firmware before the SIM card would work. This necessitated using my wife's iPhone to do the initial update. I believe the T3 can connect directly to a wifi hotspot so it doesn't have this issue.

Overall, I have had a few times when the interface crashed but I don't know if it was Android Auto crashing or something specific to the T2C. Otherwise it has mostly worked as expected. One issue I've had that's not specific to the T2C is that when using Waze or other mapping applications it's using the GPS receiver in your phone which will not get the greatest reception if your phone is in the wireless charging cradle in the car or sometimes even if it is just in your pocket. I find I have to put my phone in the cup holder to get reliable GPS reception.