Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket wheels that improved efficiency range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you been happy with your Titan 7s ? I'm considering the Titan 7 T-S5 in the 18" size as a replacement for the stock 20" for a road trip. From past personal experience, I fear potholes in areas with no mobile phone service.

I have been happy, but have no comparison to other types of wheels other than ones that come standard on cars. Finish was nice. Correct weight. Haven't taco-ed yet :)

Titan 7 T-S5 (Set of Four Wheels) - 18x8.5 / +35 / 5x114 for Tesla Model 3 (current 18's)
I was in the first batch of 18's. Mine were offset +39 vs. +40 on the aero's. So they are no longer offered exact.

For road trips I would also look for something other than 20's. I wanted something lighter, stronger, and as close to being stock dimensions as possible. The center cap is not the same size, but with a little double sided thick 3M tape they fit in very nicely.

I have been happy, but have no comparison to other types of wheels other than ones that come standard on cars. Finish was nice. Correct weight. Haven't taco-ed yet :)

Titan 7 T-S5 (Set of Four Wheels) - 18x8.5 / +35 / 5x114 for Tesla Model 3 (current 18's)
I was in the first batch of 18's. Mine were offset +39 vs. +40 on the aero's. So they are no longer offered exact.

For road trips I would also look for something other than 20's. I wanted something lighter, stronger, and as close to being stock dimensions as possible. The center cap is not the same size, but with a little double sided thick 3M tape they fit in very nicely.

Thanks for your insights, it is truly appreciated !! The current size offered by Evasive is perfect for me, as the stock 20" that came with the car has a +35 offset I believe. Planning to order this Monday, but I'll give Evasive a call to see what the lead times are - hopefully less than 3 months...Thanks again !!

Reactions: outdoors
I think the weight differences make very little difference in efficiency. They do make a little difference in acceleration rates. But at constant high highway speeds where the EV suffers most due to drag the difference is insignificant.

What matters way more than anything is tire compound, regardless of wheel size or weight ( within reason of course ).
Actually that’s not true. If it were then why is there a penalty in range going from 18 to 19 to 20? The width of the tire is relatively the same.

No doubt that tire compound and width make a big difference. On ICE cars, from stickiest to slickest is said to only gain 5% efficiency. I'm sure that it is MUCH different on ours, frustratingly so. There are no published specs to compare rolling resistance of various tires like there are for commercial truck tires. I have been on a search for at least a high performance oriented tire that takes rolling resistance into consideration. So far, the only one I can find is the Pirelli Cinturato P7.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...&tireModel=Cinturato+P7+(W-+or+Y-Speed+Rated)

The Cinturato P7 uses a low rolling resistance tread compound that features technologically advanced polymers to increase grip on wet and dry roads while it reduces vehicle fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. This compound is molded into an asymmetric tread design that promotes even wear, improves ride comfort and reduces noise levels. A robust shoulder and continuous ribs on the outboard portion of the tire enhance lateral grip on dry roads while four circumferential channels provide efficient expulsion of water from the contact patch to enhance hydroplaning resistance and wet traction. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced by nylon cap plies to provide high speed-durability.

Actually that’s not true. If it were then why is there a penalty in range going from 18 to 19 to 20? The width of the tire is relatively the same.

ever seen someone with 20” wheels run a LRR tire? It seems that wheels size correlated with desire for performance. Even people running 19’s rarely ever talk about tires that are efficient. They want max performance