Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook iON EVO All season tires with controlled efficiency testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the 235/45/18 Hankook iON EVO All Season tires on my 2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance with T Sportline TS5 18x8.5 wheels last week.

I have done a very controlled efficiency test with the tires below. The test is a 25 mile loop around our beltway that starts and stops at the same place. I record GPS time, distance, and average speed so that the test is consistent no matter what wheels and tires I have on the car.

Wheels and tires tested:

1. 20x9.0 Uberturbine wheels with factory 235/35/20 Pirelli PZ4 Tesla specific tires.

IMG_4295.jpeg

2. 18x8.5 T Sportline TS5 wheels with non Tesla specific 235/45/18 Michelin PS4S tires.

IMG_4297.jpeg

3. 18x8.5 T Sportline TS5 wheels with non Tesla specific 245/40/18(undersized diameter) Pirelli PZ4 tires.

IMG_4302.jpeg

4. 18x8.5 T Sportline TS5 wheels with brand new(<100 mile) 235/45/18 Hankook iON EVO All Season tires.

IMG_4303.jpeg

The 245/40/18 Pirelli PZ4 tires were about 1/3” undersized on the tire outer diameter so the wh/mi reading is optimistic for that tire. The car thinks it went about 3-4% further than it actually did. 220 wh/mi is a more realistic number for that tire instead of the 212 wh/mi that the trip computer said.

As you can see the Hankook tires are about 18% more efficient than the original Uberturbine wheels and PZ4 tires.

The Hankook tires were about 8%-10% more efficient than either of the 18” summer tires even though they were all on the same wheels.

I am thoroughly convinced that the efficiency claims of these new Hankook iON EVO tires are accurate. They are incredibly efficient.

These Hankook tires have a 50k mile guarantee and they have a 600 Treadwear rating on the tires.

IMG_4050.jpeg

I pumped the tires up to 42 psi as recommended and I noticed that the tire pressure didn’t change that much from that value even after extensive driving. In fact it even went down slightly in the rear tires after a drive. That is really good that it maintains a consistent pressure throughout the drive. All of the other tires would get up to as much as 46 psi after a similar drive.

IMG_4268.jpeg
IMG_4291.jpeg

I did a 220+ mile drive each way this weekend with the new Hankook tires. Going out there was a torrential rain storm for about 165 miles. This wasn’t normal rain. It was more like flooding on the interstate. I could feel the standing water causing drag on the car.

I averaged 280 wh/mi going out until I stopped to charge. However, it stopped raining and cleared up while I was charging. I averaged 226 wh/mi for the next 55 miles but that was at a slower speed going up the mountain.

Standing water on the road absolutely destroys your efficiency no matter what wheels and tires you have on the car.

Coming back home I averaged 207 wh/mi in my 2022 Model 3 Performance for 220+ miles. I had the A/C on 66 degrees F the whole time and I averaged 61.2 mph according to the GPS app.

I also was able to do 142 wh/mi for my 12 mile highway commute into work. That is at a much slower speed(~51 mph average) because of construction.

I haven’t been able to measure a difference in noise with my SPL meter. The Hankooks and the 245/40/18 Pirelli tires were measuring the same DB value. They definitely aren’t any louder but I really couldn’t tell the difference in sound. They both sound quiet to me.

I paid $1077 for the tires installed at discount tire. They price matched some random online retailer for $224 per tire.

Attachments

• IMG_4299.jpeg
    IMG_4299.jpeg
    841 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_4300.jpeg
    IMG_4300.jpeg
    571 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4301.jpeg
    IMG_4301.jpeg
    995.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
If I get the 18 inch wheels can the tire monitoring system be moved from the 20 inch to the 18 inch or will I have to buy new TPM’s?
TPMS sensors are independent of the wheels.
You can move them to a new set of wheels if you don't plan to use the old set. Or buy another set, if you plan to utilize two sets of wheels (winter vs. summer, track vs. summer, etc.).

HTH,
a