Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket wheels; your experience with Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking into aftermarket wheel options and when I move in that direction, I'm selling my stock wheels and tires. It doesn't make sense to hold on to a second set as it takes up space I don't have and I don't like swapping wheels either as I have an SUV (yes an ICE) that I would use for winter conditions anyway since my MS is a RWD.

I have read that Tesla will not work on wheel related components if they're aftermarket. But I want to hear from those that have aftermarket wheels, what has your experience been? TPMS sensor failures? TPMS module? Alignment? Bushings/bearings prematurely failing? Suspension components needing replacing or fixes? Drive unit swaps? Axle swaps? These are issues I commonly hear the MS having, all of which I'm pretty sure require the removal of the wheels, some need alignments, and TPMS issues include actually dismounting and then balancing as well.

I have two sets of aftermarket wheels, both from T-Sportline: The 19" turbines (winter set) and the 20" turbines (summer set). Tesla won't mount or balance tires on these, but they have no problem removing them from the car to do work. I did have the suspension worked on (unrelated to the aftermarket wheels -- air suspension leak), and they removed and replaced them no problem.

The T-Sportline wheels use the Tesla TPMS modules, so no problems there, and they use the Tesla lug nuts as well. They also have the exact same offset as the factory wheels, so no problems with tires touching the inside of the front wheel wells provided you use the recommended tire sizes.

The Tesla service centers vary somewhat in how strict they are with aftermarket parts on the car, but this is how my service center handled it.

I have two sets of aftermarket wheels, both from T-Sportline: The 19" turbines (winter set) and the 20" turbines (summer set). Tesla won't mount or balance tires on these, but they have no problem removing them from the car to do work. I did have the suspension worked on (unrelated to the aftermarket wheels -- air suspension leak), and they removed and replaced them no problem.

The T-Sportline wheels use the Tesla TPMS modules, so no problems there, and they use the Tesla lug nuts as well. They also have the exact same offset as the factory wheels, so no problems with tires touching the inside of the front wheel wells provided you use the recommended tire sizes.

The Tesla service centers vary somewhat in how strict they are with aftermarket parts on the car, but this is how my service center handled it.

Thank you, I appreciate the response.