Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Conditioner Behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 MS P100D took delivery Dec 5 and I believe this behavior exists since day 1 although cannot be normal. Two visits to Dania, FL SC and still the same.

Early morning or night when outside temp is cooler , usually less than 78, A/C works perfect and blows cold air at all times relative to cabin temp setting.

During the day when temp is above 85. If A/C is on and car is stopped, A/C works perfect and blows cold air at all times relative to cabin temp setting

During the day when temp is above 85 and vehicle is moving, cycles of cold air followed by intervals of uncomfortable hot air becomes a repeating cycle. Sometimes if vehicle is at highway speeds of 60 or above to thy cycles to not occur.

I have tried full auto as well as manual settings with temp set as far down as LO and the end result is the same.

SC changed pressure switches and temperature control module but it has not fixed it. They have a wiring harness on order know but I feel doubtful that that is the problem.

Anybody experienced anything like this?

Absolutely. It has been driving me nuts. Happened on day of delivery in November and for several weeks after until it cooled off. Thought maybe software fixed it. But now starting up again as it heats back up in Texas.

I have seen this once last summer on a super hot day. It was 32c and humid outside and inside was set to 24c, the AC would seem to blow cool air for a bit and then cycle to hot humid air from outside even though the fan was on full. The inside would uncomfortably hot. I tried to set it to manual all the way down to min temp and it would not help. Problem lasted about 45 min.

It is still too cold here to run AC now.

Reactions: viper2ko
2017 MS P100D took delivery Dec 5 and I believe this behavior exists since day 1 although cannot be normal. Two visits to Dania, FL SC and still the same.

Early morning or night when outside temp is cooler , usually less than 78, A/C works perfect and blows cold air at all times relative to cabin temp setting.

During the day when temp is above 85. If A/C is on and car is stopped, A/C works perfect and blows cold air at all times relative to cabin temp setting

During the day when temp is above 85 and vehicle is moving, cycles of cold air followed by intervals of uncomfortable hot air becomes a repeating cycle. Sometimes if vehicle is at highway speeds of 60 or above to thy cycles to not occur.

I have tried full auto as well as manual settings with temp set as far down as LO and the end result is the same.

SC changed pressure switches and temperature control module but it has not fixed it. They have a wiring harness on order know but I feel doubtful that that is the problem.

Anybody experienced anything like this?
My wife has said her 2017 Model S 75 does something similar. Now that you mention it I wonder if it does only happen while moving. That’s what she just confirmed so sounds like it.

I was told at SC that this is a known issue and will be resolved via .22 update... My issue is the cold air flow drastically becomes reduced, even with fan speed on high. I hear the fan sound increase but no increase in cold air...

Note: It helps to keep fresh air on IE do not re circulate. Also, turn A/C off for 3 min. to allow the coil temp to go up.

The issue appears to be a protection circuit for the Condenser to prevent frosting. It appears to be too aggressive.

Just what I heard...

• Informative
Reactions: D3xDt3Reaction
I was told at SC that this is a known issue and will be resolved via .22 update... My issue is the cold air flow drastically becomes reduced, even with fan speed on high. I hear the fan sound increase but no increase in cold air...

Note: It helps to keep fresh air on IE do not re circulate. Also, turn A/C off for 3 min. to allow the coil temp to go up.

The issue appears to be a protection circuit for the Condenser to prevent frosting. It appears to be too aggressive.

Just what I heard...
Love to see if 2018.22 fixes this.... this sounds like the usual SC answer of, fixed in the next release, unfortunately! Really like to see them actually to have had an update from Fremont that said this.

This might be the solution. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• 8C29C014-9C4F-435C-B181-6CA54BF85FF4.jpeg
    8C29C014-9C4F-435C-B181-6CA54BF85FF4.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 238
  • Informative
Reactions: D3xDt3Reaction
On day 1, my A/C got stuck diverting air to the battery. Of course it unstuck a week or so later when the ranger came out, but he did the same repair that @Kalex had done. Haven't had problem since. The ranger had a good idea of what the problem was prior to coming out based on diagnostics he was able to run remotely.

Reactions: Kalex
I was told at SC that this is a known issue and will be resolved via .22 update...
I had AC issues yesterday driving in 100 degree heat near Napa. The AC showed it was at "10" with very little air flow coming from the vents. Turning AC off for a few mins seemed to make it better, but it was still not as cold as it should be.

Contacted Tesla Mobile Service this morning and they quickly responded and advised a software update might fix the issue. They pushed out a new software update to my car (2018.18.2). Not driving today but will find out during my commute tomorrow. Pretty awesome that they got back to me within an hour and pushed a software update! I was two months back on updates.

Will update tomorrow. The guy said if this doesn't fix it they will need me to take it to a service center.

I had AC issues yesterday driving in 100 degree heat near Napa. The AC showed it was at "10" with very little air flow coming from the vents. Turning AC off for a few mins seemed to make it better, but it was still not as cold as it should be.

Contacted Tesla Mobile Service this morning and they quickly responded and advised a software update might fix the issue. They pushed out a new software update to my car (2018.18.2). Not driving today but will find out during my commute tomorrow. Pretty awesome that they got back to me within an hour and pushed a software update! I was two months back on updates.

Will update tomorrow. The guy said if this doesn't fix it they will need me to take it to a service center.

Hope that fixes it, but i'm on the same software # and its happening to me. I'm driving back down to SO FL tomorrow. If it happens again then I'll call them on it since I already have a few other things like rust coming out of my bumper. Seems I'm not alone on that one too.

I've had this issue since it got very hot and humid here in Indiana. Ended up visiting the SC last week and they were able to replicate.

Their answer for this was:
"The evaporator is freezing in humid conditions. A firmware fix to reduce the duty cycle and alleviate this problem is in the works and will come with a future update."

*sigh*

Edit: They also told me that this affects most if not all of the newer Model Ses (late 2017 and beyond).

"The evaporator is freezing in humid conditions. A firmware fix to reduce the duty cycle and alleviate this problem is in the works and will come with a future update."

*sigh*

Edit: They also told me that this affects most if not all of the newer Model Ses (late 2017 and beyond).
It wasn't humid at all when I had this happen, and my car is an early 17 build. I've not had the issue again but then it's been in the 70s since the weekend.

Reactions: Grazant