Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Conditioner Compressor Cooling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you referring to the random airflow in the engine compartment from the general airflow plus the radiator fan in an ice?

I’m referring mostly to the radiator fan.
Compressors rely on the radiator fan to keep it cool.
I’m pretty sure there is no radiator fan in the Tesla, so I’m wondering how that air conditioner compressor is cooled.
Maybe it’s a completely different design, and doesn’t need the same type of cooling as an ice car compressor does. ?

So I found a blurb about the air conditioner on Tesla’s site. It doesn’t mention anything about how it keeps the compressor cool during use without a fan, but based on the complex system of heating and cooling the cars battery, I suspect it manages to cool itself the same way it cools the battery.
Again, it didn’t say that, but that’s what I took away from it.

Not an important topic I know, but I was curious. :)
Thanks

I’m referring mostly to the radiator fan.
Compressors rely on the radiator fan to keep it cool.
I’m pretty sure there is no radiator fan in the Tesla, so I’m wondering how that air conditioner compressor is cooled.
Maybe it’s a completely different design, and doesn’t need the same type of cooling as an ice car compressor does. ?

The air conditioning system has a radiator on the outside of the cabin called a condenser (or condensing coil). In an ICE, that is cooled by the airflow going through the front of the car and assisted by a fan. That fan can either be electric or powered directly from the motor. A Tesla also has a condensing coil and an electric fan to assist pulling air through.

The compressor is a pump mounted on the engine, typically powered by a belt that is moving the refrigerant through the system. In a Tesla, this is a sealed electric unit. More similar to a home air conditioner. In both cases, the compressor is cooled by ambient air around it and the refrigerant going through it.

Inside the car is an evaporator coil. There is a fan that blows air through the evaporator and then into the cabin. This is the same on Tesla & ICE.

Reactions: spottyq
The air conditioning system has a radiator on the outside of the cabin called a condenser (or condensing coil). In an ICE, that is cooled by the airflow going through the front of the car and assisted by a fan. That fan can either be electric or powered directly from the motor. A Tesla also has a condensing coil and an electric fan to assist pulling air through.

The compressor is a pump mounted on the engine, typically powered by a belt that is moving the refrigerant through the system. In a Tesla, this is a sealed electric unit. More similar to a home air conditioner. In both cases, the compressor is cooled by ambient air around it and the refrigerant going through it.

Inside the car is an evaporator coil. There is a fan that blows air through the evaporator and then into the cabin. This is the same on Tesla & ICE.

Thanks for the reply. !