Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air conditioning cycling on and off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple weeks ago my M3’s AC started acting up. I’m down in Dallas so the AC is needed. But when I get in the AC is starting to run but then it will totally shut off (not on the screen, just stops blowing any air at all), then it will start going again. It’s still getting mostly cold, but it doesn’t get all the way to temp and it keeps cycling on and off periodically. This started in the last few weeks and definitely takes a lot longer to get cool than it used to. Shot a short video where you can hear what it’s doing, but don’t know how to post. Have a service appointment set just curious if anyone else had dealt with or knows what the issue is. Thanks.

A couple weeks ago my M3’s AC started acting up. I’m down in Dallas so the AC is needed. But when I get in the AC is starting to run but then it will totally shut off (not on the screen, just stops blowing any air at all), then it will start going again. It’s still getting mostly cold, but it doesn’t get all the way to temp and it keeps cycling on and off periodically. This started in the last few weeks and definitely takes a lot longer to get cool than it used to. Shot a short video where you can hear what it’s doing, but don’t know how to post. Have a service appointment set just curious if anyone else had dealt with or knows what the issue is. Thanks.

Mine was action very weird after a sw update. A full reboot seems to have calmed it down but it is still not as smooth as it was before. It blows noticeably less air at the same auto temp then before.

I experienced the exact same issue for the first time 2 weeks ago or so. The problem seems to have corrected itself on its own. First time in over 2 years the AC has acted up.

Yeah, I've noticed this several times. I got a video of it with the HVAC screen up last time it happened a week or two ago. It seems to only happen when the car is hot and auto is cranking the fan up to 10. Then every minute or so the AC and recirc turn off, the fan drops to 1, and then everything turns back on and the fan goes back to 10. Once auto has the fan at 9 it seems to stop.

Please excuse my chatty daughter and my dusty screen :)

Started happening to me again and took it in for service. They are replace the following part which they called the “vehicle controller” which they said was failing.

1 ASY M3 FRONT CONTROLLER COIL SUSP {M3} 1118182-12-K

Anyone know what this does, interested to know if I’m going to see any other difference besides hopefully a properly functioning air conditioning?

• Informative
Reactions: PoitNarf
Started happening to me again and took it in for service. They are replace the following part which they called the “vehicle controller” which they said was failing.

1 ASY M3 FRONT CONTROLLER COIL SUSP {M3} 1118182-12-K

Anyone know what this does, interested to know if I’m going to see any other difference besides hopefully a properly functioning air conditioning?

This is "VC Front". It is one of 4 main controller boards for the car's functions. There's a Left and Right, and a Security one (it's under where you tap the card in the center console).

It does a lot of things (including climate control), but you shouldn't notice any other differences from normal working behaviour.

My a/c will stop blowing cool air intermittently (every once in awhile). I live in Arizona so this is a problem in summer. What I found that works for me is to press the icon for the temperature setting on the main screen of my 2017 ms...it will then bring up another display showing "on" and "auto" plus controls for the fan. I press "+" on the fan then press "auto" leaving both the "auto" and the "on" in the "on" position. Next I press the temperature icon on the main screen and bingo the cool air then comes on. What gives? Do I have a real problem that Tesla needs to fix or is the "work around" what I have to live with from now on?

Same, the compressor reports over current, and shuts down. Then starts up again. I think it's a bug in the latest software that was supposed to only blow when the air is at temp. After the initial routine, the system seems to operate normally. Auto might be the problem until fixed.

Same i live in Arizona, it started happening recently took it to service center, no solution they asking me to be okay with it. i have another thread with the video to see if you have the same symptoms and if anyone had luck getting it fixed.

Same, the compressor reports over current, and shuts down. Then starts up again. I think it's a bug in the latest software that was supposed to only blow when the air is at temp. After the initial routine, the system seems to operate normally. Auto might be the problem until fixed.
Do you see any alerts in the service mode, like VCFRONT_a160 or VCFRONT_a161 when this happens?