Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air conditioning desiccant bag replaced - strange smell?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone that has had their AC desiccant bag replaced, was there any strange smell afterwards coming from the AC? If so, how long did it last? I had it replaced about two weeks ago and when I first got the car, I noticed some sort of chemical smell coming from the AC that dissipated after running for a few mins. Didn’t really notice it after that but these past couple days I’m noticing it again although it almost smells a bit more musky. Never had any type of odor prior to it being replaced and the cabin filter was replaced about three months ago.

For anyone that has had their AC desiccant bag replaced, was there any strange smell afterwards coming from the AC? If so, how long did it last? I had it replaced about two weeks ago and when I first got the car, I noticed some sort of chemical smell coming from the AC that dissipated after running for a few mins. Didn’t really notice it after that but these past couple days I’m noticing it again although it almost smells a bit more musky. Never had any type of odor prior to it being replaced and the cabin filter was replaced about three months ago.

I just got my desiccant bag replaced. It had a different (not necessary bad) smell for around 20 secs and then it disappeared.

Reactions: Gt1948
Thanks for the replies. I had my front windshield tinted the other day and I just remembered they use quite a bit of water in the process. I'm wondering if some got down the front vents and that's what is causing the smell. I've been running the A/C on high to and from work hoping it will dry out. When the desiccant bag was replaced, I did have a strong smell for a couple mins like @bktiger86 but it went away fairly quick. If the smell persist, does anyone know if the Tesla dealer or anyone is able to clean out the vents?