Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2022 Model X plaid AC smells bad, and vibration, not fix yet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve having the same smells in my 2022 MS. The service center has replaced the cabin filter twice.. and blames it in the hot Texas weather. I’m getting tired of taking it it the sc but it’s ridiculous to have this smell coming out of a 1yr old car
yep, same issue in NC. stinks horrible after 1 year...and they say we need the dealer to replace the HEPA for us... I think they quoted $500 or $700....it was a lot. We don't have a center in our area so I need to wait until the winter when they can also replace our peeling yoke (BO) and work on the falcon doors again that are slinging grease, plus the seat fastener recall.

yep, same issue in NC. stinks horrible after 1 year...and they say we need the dealer to replace the HEPA for us... I think they quoted $500 or $700....it was a lot. We don't have a center in our area so I need to wait until the winter when they can also replace our peeling yoke (BO) and work on the falcon doors again that are slinging grease, plus the seat fastener recall.

Filter can be replaced yourself for 50-75$

Apparently, this is no longer the configuration of the refreshed 2022 model X. Our mobile service tech said that if replacing the cabin filter did not help, that do need to replace the HEPA filter and suggested we do that at the dealer. He also stated that cleaning the evaporator has not proven to be an effective fix and would be a waste of time and effort.

I came across images from another 2022 model X owner who did remove the frunk bin and still was unable to locate the hepa. Apparently it's not so easy to replace anymore and it DOES need to be replaced to stop the smell.

Unfortunately, our HEPA started smelling bad after about 12-15 months in humid Wilmington NC.

-Zach
Totally agreed. I think this is a design flaw, If you want to know where the HEPA filter is, just open the front trunk and remove the plastic cover. The HEPA filter is right behind the intake and it is quite low, I think moisture will accumulate on the HEPA filter easily and cause mold growing.

Same issue . 2022 MSP smells bad for 5 min or so after rain or car wash.

Is it confirmed that the HEPA filter replacement fixed the issue? Anyone got any luck with them doing this under warranty for a 1 year old car.

The evaporator coils are no where to be found under the dash, nor behind the Large HEPA under hood. I sprayed the coil cleaner down behind the Large HEPA today and then ran the AC for like 3 hours. We shall see if thats the stink. I have yet to just pull the filter out on a rainy day and see if its gone. $550 for the new one is nuts. I made this video

The evaporator coils are no where to be found under the dash, nor behind the Large HEPA under hood. I sprayed the coil cleaner down behind the Large HEPA today and then ran the AC for like 3 hours. We shall see if thats the stink. I have yet to just pull the filter out on a rainy day and see if its gone. $550 for the new one is nuts. I made this video

@dandrum76, did spraying the coil cleaner and running the AC end up helping?