Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air conditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe this simply is my stupidity: after setting smart temp for 66 F, and fan at level 3, we felt no cooling effect in the car. The outside temp is around 81 F today while SEVEN of us headed to Foothill park. I can't believe Tesla would make me work so hard to get out of the misery, but I am too lazy to go through the literatures....Could anyone kindly give me a crash course on the air conditioning setting?

Maybe this simply is my stupidity: after setting smart temp for 66 F, and fan at level 3, we felt no cooling effect in the car. The outside temp is around 81 F today while SEVEN of us headed to Foothill park. I can't believe Tesla would make me work so hard to get out of the misery, but I am too lazy to go through the literatures....Could anyone kindly give me a crash course on the air conditioning setting?

The fan has speeds up to 11. 3 is fairly mild. Your best bet is to set the temperature and leave all else on "auto".

The fan has speeds up to 11. 3 is fairly mild. Your best bet is to set the temperature and leave all else on "auto".
Auto setting was what I had....It did not work well

I think the problem could be the range mode (I am not with the car now) setting. There is not enough power to the heater or the air conditioner. I remember I did not feel warm and fussy enough like my other cars when the outside temperature was low....I thought the battery thermal management was so efficient.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the problem could be the "range mode" (I need to double check, I am not with the car now) setting was on. This could explain insufficient power to the heater or the air conditioner. I remember I did not feel warm and fussy enough like my other cars when the outside temperature was low....I thought the battery thermal management was so efficient, now I am worried that I will have less range coverage...

I think the problem could be the range mode (I am not with the car now) setting. There is not enough power to the heater or the air conditioner. I remember I did not feel warm and fussy enough like my other cars when the outside temperature was low....I thought the battery thermal management was so efficient.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the problem could be the "range mode" (I need to double check, I am not with the car now) setting was on. This could explain insufficient power to the heater or the air conditioner. I remember I did not feel warm and fussy enough like my other cars when the outside temperature was low....I thought the battery thermal management was so efficient, now I am worried that I will have less range coverage...

Range mode definitely reduces power use by the climate control system.

I set mine to auto and then just adjust the temp setting until I am comfortable. The temp setting numbers don't mean much. Just find the number that works.

Range mode will significantly reduce AC system performance.

With the dual system you can make ice cubes if you want. I live in AZ.

If no one is sitting in the back you may have to manually select on for the rear. In auto mode the rear system doesn't operate if no one is in the rear.

We travelled all over Phoenix in 90 degree weather with six people aboard. All controls set to "Auto" except for rear fan, which I bumped up a little (5 or 6). No range mode (have never needed it in 5000 miles.) Everyone commented on how fresh and cool the car felt.

We travelled all over Phoenix in 90 degree weather with six people aboard. All controls set to "Auto" except for rear fan, which I bumped up a little (5 or 6). No range mode (have never needed it in 5000 miles.) Everyone commented on how fresh and cool the car felt.

From Salt Lake? I ask cause I recall a post on TM forum someone did that road trip.

What about the seat ventilation? Despite the description stating "cool. dry air", others are saying it is just ambient air and the effects is nominal, which really disappoints me.

I spent the last 35 years in Az, Central Ca, and Texas and can sweat like a pig...so I am very dependent on a solid A/C unit and seat vent. I had one Lexus where the A/C was undersized, and we tolerated the heat poorly.

I have a Viper in my Porsche for the sole purpose of pre-starting and cooling off prior to entry, it is magical.

@essmd,
Set the AC to foot and face, then the intake under the perforated seats picks up the cool cabin air and vents it thru the seat. AZ driver and really like the perforated seats.

Precooling is Painless. It's a battery car. Turn it on and run it anywhere any time. You can even turn on preconditioning in the settings and the car will learn your habits and get ready when it thinks your going to go somewhere.

One of the best features of EV cars is the ability to crank the heat and cooling anytime.

PS

I made a run in early January from San Diego to Southern Idaho and then back to Phoenix AZ. Rain, snow, hot, cold and absolutly loved the X dual AC system. You can keep the back comfortable. An improvement over the S for sure.

What is the follow-up to this issue?

Is your A/C working better now?
Maybe it is true that the model X is organic (Fremont SC people's words), it seems better now. But it is definitely a distraction to find the function key and change the fan speed while you are driving. I don't think auto mode works for me.
Unlike the last time, most of my passengers are polite, so I really don't know how the rear seats feel like ....

Maybe it is true that the model X is organic (Fremont SC people's words), it seems better now. But it is definitely a distraction to find the function key and change the fan speed while you are driving. I don't think auto mode works for me.
Unlike the last time, most of my passengers are polite, so I really don't know how the rear seats feel like ....

You can control fan speed with the scroll wheel on the steering wheel.