Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Not Blowing on Face

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know there are so many people like the fan in their faces. It's so dry here all the time if I had the fan in my face, my eyeballs will dry out in no time! Also my grandma told me, "Don't have the AC blows directly on your head or you will get a cold!" LOL :)
My grandma told me if I slept with the oscillating fan blowing on my face I could die. I actually believed her for a long time but now I think she was just trying to conserve money :)

Hi,

I stumbled on this thread after experiencing the same problem on my new M3. But managed to find the bizarre cause of this!

I new that the motors that control the valves for the vertical airstream were working as I could hear them moving when the fan was on 1. So it was either that both valves were loose on or there was a blockage.

Rather than spend half a day getting Tesla to look at this, I lifted the dash from then centre and found this piece of foam!

It had been custom cut to block out the airflow to the upward vents!

My only explanation is that my M3 was previously a showroom display model and they needed to stop airflow into the face for covid 19 reasons! IMG_20200626_143158.jpg

This happened to my car, immediately after going in for service. I noticed the driver side air would not go any higher than the bottom of the steering wheel, and the passenger side could not get any lower than about chin level on the passenger.

I was able to fix it by removing the wooden dashboard panel and reaffixing it. When I removed it, I noticed some of the clips were not entirely secured. Perhaps the panel was moved or removed during the service, and the position of the panel really matters.

Reactions: jecsun
Thanks for everyone’s response. Went to the service center today. There is indeed a malfunction. Will keep you updated. I am new to the forums as I just got my car but I have been lurking for years. Thanks again for taking time out of your weekend to help me out.

I’ve been messing with the directional controls trying to figure out how to make it hit my face and it seems mine has the same issue you had. What was the fix for this?

You need to remove the wooden panel, there are plenty of clips on you tube for this, but it's pretty easy.

Once off check that the valves in the centre of the dash aren't blocked and that theymthey when you want to change the height of the airflow. Mine had a piece of foam sat on top of the vent above the valves, this shouldn't have been there.

If all looks to be working it may just be that the wooden trim wasn't installed correctly. All of the clips need to be properly inserted before the vertical airflow will work.

Reactions: jecsun
I may have found the fix. I've been to the shop three times already and they replaced the actuator once and did a calibration twice and was always the same. I finally took my dash apart and read the stick inside about popping all the holders back into place and that was all I did. I pressed really hard on the grey piece between the "forward" and "upwards" slits and heard a little click after. It now blows upwards.

Finally was able to purchase a Model 3 this past weekend.

Car is in absolute flawless condition. Not a single panel gap. Interior is also impeccable. Job well done by the Tesla team in Fremont.

One thing I’ve noticed on the drivers side vent control - I am unable to have the air blowing on my face.

I believe the air vents control directionality by adjusting a few streams of air. Is it possible mine is not working properly?

Is anyone able to adjust their vent to have a strong flow of air - through the steering wheel and onto your face? Do my settings need to be adjusted?

BTW, no issues on the passenger side.

Thank you for your help.

Reactions: Hasek2
Status
Not open for further replies.