Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air suspension? Really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what you can get with air suspension
Different strokes but that's not what I'd like my yet-to-be-delivered MYP to look like when it grows up.

Comfort and better control in corners? Sure. Having to creep over everything > .25" off the ground hoping not to high center and scrape, worrying about descent/ascent angles in hilly areas? No thanks.

Oh and we can't see the fart can exhaust, will you take a picture of the rear? ;-)

This was recently added to the CAN bus information. See the last 2 fields. It's no indication or guarantee, just interesting to see this now showing up.

Attachments

• 20211123_085937.jpg
    20211123_085937.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Informative
Reactions: Corndart
There is currently around a 6 month wait for delivery of a model Y. Why would Tesla add a feature, and expense, to a product that is already in such high demand? If/when people stop ordering the vehicle due to a complaint about ride quality; then maybe Tesla will consider an upgrade.

There is currently around a 6 month wait for delivery of a model Y. Why would Tesla add a feature, and expense, to a product that is already in such high demand? If/when people stop ordering the vehicle due to a complaint about ride quality; then maybe Tesla will consider an upgrade.
They're not a traditional car maker with a 4-8 year (looking at you Jeep) "lock" on vehicle specs. There are a number of continual improvements to address complaints that end up costing more to manufacture, and they raise the price to reflect.

Forgive the run on sentence: Thinking about their operating model from that perspective, it's not unreasonable to think they may add features such as air suspension, for which they can cannibalize investments already made for S/X (and use parts they can easily source), that engineering brains like Munro have already said would fit fine in the Y.

You’re right. Every other EV offering coming to market has a form of air suspension (Rivian, Lucid, Mercedes, Ford).

So Tesla will eventually be shamed into adding it across their line.

It's already in Tesla vehicles that complete in the price segment of Lucid and Mercedes vehicles, the X and S.
I see you conveniently left out Ford. The F-150 lightening has AS and even the Mach-E utilizes mag-lev suspension that reviewers have praised specifically when compared to Tesla’s coil setups.

Also, Rivians pricing, with current rebates factored in, compete with the Y.

Every professional review of the MY calls out the harsh ride. Any user on this board that has ever had an air suspension ride says the same.

Feel free to do your own research.
"everyone"??? That...would...be...100%.
Yes, I'm parsing words here, but anyone (everyone???) here knows you're very good at that.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
"everyone"??? That...would...be...100%.
Yes, I'm parsing words here, but anyone (everyone???) here knows you're very good at that.
My good friend and self-confessed Tesla Fanboy ( he bought a first gen Moldel S when they first came out, currently owns Model Y), told me (After I told him about my MY reservation): "The only thing you might not like is the suspension", knowing that I've driven mostly Audis over the last 15 years.

Reactions: bobbyjae
I see you conveniently left out Ford. The F-150 lightening has AS and even the Mach-E utilizes mag-lev suspension that reviewers have praised specifically when compared to Tesla’s coil setups.

Also, Rivians pricing, with current rebates factored in, compete with the Y.
You seem a little hostile for some reason to my posting. Hard to gauge sentiment in anonymous online medium but anyhow...

I didn't "conveniently" do anything except point out where Tesla already employ an air suspension in their lineup. I also noted in another post that incorporating into the Y likely would fit with both tech they have and how they continually improve their products.

Rivian is super interesting but until they hit any sort of production scale to siphon off Tesla sales, they're no current threat to Tesla IMHO.

The F150 lightning isn't currently on the market and we have no idea on pricing or suspension. The Mach E GT Performance Edition may have a better suspension, but has many areas that are IMHO deficient vs the MYP. It's also very difficult to get at or near MSRP, so the assertion that it qualifies for the yet-to-be-passed BBB better bill is a more complicated.

Reactions: Canyonero and mrwug
Yes. Everyone. 100%

Find a review where the ride of the Y isn’t criticized. We’ll be waiting.
I don't consider the reviewing world to be..."everyone". There are a few hundred thousand MY owner's that weren't officially polled.

Ridiculous discussion. Guilty as charged for engaging.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: mrwug and glide
I don't consider the reviewing world to be..."everyone". There are a few hundred thousand MY owner's that weren't officially polled.

Ridiculous discussion. Guilty as charged for engaging.
You don’t consider every professional review to be…100% of the professional reviews?

Interesting math, but okay. Ridiculous discussion indeed.

Still waiting for you to send us a positive review of the MY’s suspension. I guess we will keep waiting?

People will complain no matter what they are given by Tesla but will keep buying them anyway.
People aren’t being “given” anything by Tesla. Last I heard, you had to pay for their vehicles.

And no, people will not keep buying them if the competition offers better features at a similar price. None of what you posted makes any sense to someone who isn’t a member of the COT.