Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airport parking ! Now I’m worried.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A95D2A72-F194-4B10-8269-152C1D2D5713.png

Attachments

• 0219FAAA-C9F3-41C7-97B6-343174DB32C8.jpeg
    0219FAAA-C9F3-41C7-97B6-343174DB32C8.jpeg
    401.4 KB · Views: 221
Reactions: MumblzA10
So: I leave my 10 day old MY at the airport five days ago.

It had 55% charge , but has dropped markedly each day.

A few questions
(i) If my return from my trip is delayed, it could be flat ! Will Tesla roadside assistance come out?
(ii) Is my car faulty ?
(iii) What do you guys do if you take your family on a two week holiday ?

A few questions
(i) If my return from my trip is delayed, it could be flat ! Will Tesla roadside assistance come out?
(ii) Is my car faulty ?
Turn Sentry mode off. It sucks battery. Also, cabin overheat protection. Both of those features suck battery. Overheat protection maybe leave on if it’s hot.

The battery will probably not die, because it will turn off the above features at 20% state of charge.

A few questions
(ii) Is my car faulty ?

1. I believe they come out once for free in this instance (user caused battery depletion). They used to offer that, not sure if they still do, but yes they can come out and tow you to a supercharger if needed (but this is definitely user caused).

2. No, not in the slightest. Sentry mode will drain between 20-40 miles a day. You either turned sentry mode on, or have it set to be on automatically when you are not at home, so this is being caused because you turned sentry mode on during an extended parking situation.

3. Either ensure sentry mode and cabin overheat protection are off, or ensure that wherever you park for your trip has EV charging (many do, and many more are adding it). Also, ensuring that you park with enough SOC (state of charge) to lose 2-3 miles a day and get to a supercharger when you come back, if needed.

Drain will be no more than 3 miles a day when sentry is off and cabin overheat protection is off AND you do not open the tesla app to "check on the car" frequently. Drain will be around somewhere around 20-25 miles per day if you use sentry, and more if you also have cabin overheat protection or standby summon on.

TL ; DR a week trip with sentry mode ON while parked, will see the car use about 140 "miles" of range (7 days times 20 ish miles a day). A week trip with sentry, cabin overheat protection and standby summon off, and only "checking the car" 1-2 times a day at max, will see around 20 miles TOTAL lost during that 7 day period, and likely less than that if you can keep from checking on the car.

I have just come back from a 10 trip to the US. I left my 3 at Gatwick short stay, I had 61% when I parked, I turned off sentry and made sure I parked in the multi story away from direct sunlight. After I walked away from the car I did not look at the app until I was in baggage claim upon my return ……. I was dreading it and already had a back up plan of the Crawley super chargers! I was amazed that it said 60% so I only dropped 1% in 10 days.

When I ultimately receive my Y and I'm flying out of EWR, I'll just leave it plugged in in my garage so it will have a full charge upon my return and take an Uber both ways to and from the airport.
Not a bad idea when you consider the cost and risk of parking around Newark! Of course, from East Brunswick, you could just walk. :D I would do the same - Uber from Sussex County.

Not a bad idea when you consider the cost and risk of parking around Newark! Of course, from East Brunswick, you could just walk. :D I would do the same - Uber from Sussex County.
I would never park in the airport. We always park at an off site lot 5 minutes away that is gated, manned 24/7, has both indoor and outdoor parking and a free car wash for stays a week or longer.

A few questions
(ii) Is my car faulty ?
your car is normal. This is what they call vampire drain. A small amount of energy is being used to monitor things and maintain your battery. Your rate of drain is actually slower than most people who inquire about it. Less than 2% per day will last you quite a long time. And as someone else noted it gets more conservative as you drop to a lower state of charge. The only concern is will you have enough charge to get home or a supercharger?

So I leave my 10 day old MY at the airport five days ago.
A few questions
(i) if my return from my trip is delayed it could be flat ! Will Tesla roadside assistance come out ?
(ii) is my car faulty ?
(iii) What do you guys do if you take your family on a two week holiday
Turn Sentry Mode off.
Don't open the App.
Should be fine.

jeez, so sentry mode is basically useless ?

Unless its just a short stop at the shops ? 🤦‍♂️

your car is normal. This is what they call vampire drain. A small amount of energy is being used to monitor things and maintain your battery. Your rate of drain is actually slower than most people who inquire about it. Less than 2% per day will last you quite a long time. And as someone else noted it gets more conservative as you drop to a lower state of charge. The only concern is will you have enough charge to get home or a supercharger?
Vampire drain ?

FFS , thats some bloodthirsty vampire ! Look at the screenshots ? 55% to 20% in four days ? Really ?

I would never park in the airport. We always park at an off site lot 5 minutes away that is gated, manned 24/7, has both indoor and outdoor parking and a free car wash for stays a week or longer.
“ I would never park at an airport”

Thats a pretty stupid f’ing suggestion . I work at the airport, what do you suggest ?
I buy a model Y and cycle to work ? FFS

Hey Howard, how do you take your family on vacation? I’m curious.

I have just come back from a 10 trip to the US. I left my 3 at Gatwick short stay, I had 61% when I parked, I turned off sentry and made sure I parked in the multi story away from direct sunlight. After I walked away from the car I did not look at the app until I was in baggage claim upon my return ……. I was dreading it and already had a back up plan of the Crawley super chargers! I was amazed that it said 60% so I only dropped 1% in 10 days.
Thanks roadmap … pretty much the only helpful reply ! (Well one of two !)
👍

1. I believe they come out once for free in this instance (user caused battery depletion). They used to offer that, not sure if they still do, but yes they can come out and tow you to a supercharger if needed (but this is definitely user caused).

2. No, not in the slightest. Sentry mode will drain between 20-40 miles a day. You either turned sentry mode on, or have it set to be on automatically when you are not at home, so this is being caused because you turned sentry mode on during an extended parking situation.

3. Either ensure sentry mode and cabin overheat protection are off, or ensure that wherever you park for your trip has EV charging (many do, and many more are adding it). Also, ensuring that you park with enough SOC (state of charge) to lose 2-3 miles a day and get to a supercharger when you come back, if needed.

Drain will be no more than 3 miles a day when sentry is off and cabin overheat protection is off AND you do not open the tesla app to "check on the car" frequently. Drain will be around somewhere around 20-25 miles per day if you use sentry, and more if you also have cabin overheat protection or standby summon on.

TL ; DR a week trip with sentry mode ON while parked, will see the car use about 140 "miles" of range (7 days times 20 ish miles a day). A week trip with sentry, cabin overheat protection and standby summon off, and only "checking the car" 1-2 times a day at max, will see around 20 miles TOTAL lost during that 7 day period, and likely less than that if you can keep from checking on the car.

Thanks for your reply… appreciated 👍

Im gobsmacked sentry mode is so thirsty. Its one of the features I was looking forward to using.
disappointed to discover its useless. 🤬

1. I believe they come out once for free in this instance (user caused battery depletion). They used to offer that, not sure if they still do, but yes they can come out and tow you to a supercharger if needed (but this is definitely user caused)

if this happened in my “work” airport I would be so embarassed…. Especially since I am known for being a Tesla enthusiast.

I’m not sure I could live with being the laughing stock of my colleagues.

Last edited: