Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

battery drain airport parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it would be good to have a tutorial about all the ways to prevent battery drain while being parked. Case in point parking at airport parking in the summer. Had to drive my gasoline car 140 miles roundtrip in Houston traffic (ba Humbug) because I could not trust Tes sitting for two weeks in airport parking lot. BTW autopilot has become my favorite feature of our Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Funny, I couldn't trust my ICE Lexus sitting for 2 weeks at the airport, due to the 12v battery draining. Sometimes it's just better to get a ride and save the parking fees and battery concerns.

That said, I would have no concerns parking our Y for 2 weeks. As long as I didn't leave it with 30% charge or less.

Reactions: ucmndd
it would be good to have a tutorial about all the ways to prevent battery drain while being parked. Case in point parking at airport parking in the summer. Had to drive my gasoline car 140 miles roundtrip in Houston traffic (ba Humbug) because I could not trust Tes sitting for two weeks in airport parking lot. BTW autopilot has become my favorite feature of our Tesla.
No tutorial needed. Turn off sentry, turn off cabin overheat. DONE. Ive left my Tesla at a cruise terminal for three weeks no problem. Over covid my 3 sat for six weeks unplugged and lost less than 10%

I dropped off my car to the shop for 5 weeks with 150+ miles, they actually start working on it in the last 1.5 weeks, and they have moved the car few times within few miles during the period. I turned off sentry, hvac, cabin heat protection, smart summon, and I do not have any 3rd party app. I checked the car occasionally, and when they finished working on it and start charging, it was around 100+. If you just turn off sentry and cabin heat protection, that should be fine.

Reactions: carpendj
As others have said in the comments above mine, turn off SentryMode and Cabin overheat protection and you should be totally fine. Recommend you also avoid waking you car up by starting the app. I've done some tests parked at Austin - Texas airport in the heat of the summer and Sentry Mode uses a lot of battery. Turned it off and my car lost maybe 1% in a week. I was worried when I first parked at the airport and had almost a full charge. lol. Now I am more than happy to leave it at a low charge as I know it will not lose that much with those items turned off.

Reactions: David99
Agree with everyone else turn off sentry and youre good. I parked for a month for a trip to Japan and car lost maybe 2 percent? ( i randomly would enable sentry via the app to look at the cameras briefly and then turned it back off)

Reactions: carpendj
Agree with everyone else turn off sentry and youre good. I parked for a month for a trip to Japan and car lost maybe 2 percent? ( i randomly would enable sentry via the app to look at the cameras briefly and then turned it back off)
Hard to believe you lost only 2% total over a one month time period. Most people report losing something like 400-800 Wh / day depending on the model. Over 30-days that should be 12-24 kWh, which if you have a 80 kWh battery should equal 15-30%.

Please confirm the car was not plugged in and you really meant 2%? Then tell us what magic beans you used! :)

On my 2022 Model S, left at work (underground parking in SoCal) I lose about 1% every 3 days with sentry mode off only as my only adjustment. On my new model Y, parked in my covers home garage, the loss is at least 3% daily and I can’t figure out why even with sentry off. No extra 3rd party apps and I check once a day via the Tesla app only to follow. I’ve read that having WiFi on in the car also causes more battery drain. Is the possible? The S cannot get WiFi at work while there is an access point in my home garage for the Y. At home I left the Y plugged in to keep the car charged but don’t want to have to do this as the wife’s SUV has to be moved out.

I left my Model 3 parked for two and a half months and it lost 12%. Why couldn’t you leave your Y at the airport for two weeks?

Hard to believe you lost only 2% total over a one month time period. Most people report losing something like 400-800 Wh / day depending on the model. Over 30-days that should be 12-24 kWh, which if you have a 80 kWh battery should equal 15-30%.

Please confirm the car was not plugged in and you really meant 2%? Then tell us what magic beans you used! :)
heh no magic beans and I suppose to be fair it was more like 26 days but yes I left at 89% came back was 87% temps were 50-60 Fahrenheit

Most people report losing something like 400-800 Wh / day depending on the model. Over 30-days that should be 12-24 kWh, which if you have a 80 kWh battery should equal 15-30%.
That’s a very high estimate and doesn’t match anything I’ve ever seen in 7+ years.

I’ve left my car for many weeks at a time and lost maybe 5% max in normal circumstances.

Reactions: GHammer and TesraY