Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

battery drain airport parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to me the newer models are more efficient. I just came back from vacation for 3 weeks, I left the car at home garage not plugged in. Sentry and cabin heat protection are off, wifi connected, have scheduled charging on. I never checked the app but I did got a software update install notification in the middle but ignored. At the end I lost around 1% per day for my 17MS75.

One more consideration... Don't leave it a a high state of charge, especially in hot weather. This will promote battery degradation. Better to leave it at 50-60%.
This is really not applicable to airport parking as it depends on how long you will be away and how far you need to go when you get home. The 50% recommendation is for people who store their cars long term.

So long as the energy lost while parked, and what is needed to get home are considered, I suppose 30% is just fine.

However, unless someone is going to keep their car beyond the 7-year battery warranty period, worrying about battery degradation is, IMHO, as waste of brain cells. ;)
I agree, the obsession with minimizing battery degradation is not necessary. Moderate loss of battery degradation doesn't affect daily driving whatsoever. Even a 10% range loss doesn't make a difference in any but the most extreme situations.

What I did find pretty annoying with my old Model S was the reduced charge speed and forced thermal management as the car got older. It wasts a lot of energy and made road trips noticeably longer. That's something no one thought about in the beginning. But now it's an issue with all early Tesla vehicles. We don't know what issue will come up in the future. I try to learn about batteries and best practices to extend their lifespan. I'm not letting it dictate how I use of my car, but when I can I follow them because it's easy to do without compromise.

• Informative
Reactions: ATPMSD
Yeah nothing bad happens. I even depleted mine past zero percent and did a battery health and nothing changed.
If you're gone for over a month with ZERO charging options while away I wouldn't mind charging to 100 and leaving it parked.
With everything off though it's literally maybe 1% a day, maybe less.

I'm on my second 3 week business trip out of country. Last time, all I had to do was turn off Sentry mode and cabin overheat protection. The car lasts a very long time in sleep mode. On my first 3 week trip, I lost maybe 3-4% battery percent. I supercharged right before I parked it because I wasn't sure how long it would last. I charged to 80%, drove a few miles and parked it at about 76%. When I left my spot it was at about 71%. However, it was still slighty winter time and I preheated the cabin as soon as I picked up my luggage and was waiting for the shuttle bus. So that's why I say about 3-4%.

I'm on my second trip now and will be returned next week. Checked the app and I only lost 1 percent so far. My business trips are never more than 2-3 weeks. I have zero anxiety leaving it at the airport. I'm going to start checking the 16v battery at the 4 year mark, but I do that with my gas cars too.

With my gas cars, I always back into my spot and bring my long jumper cables with me. That habit hasn't changed with my Tesla. Just pop the hood and wave your jumper cables in the air, there's always someone nice enough to give you a jump.