Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alabama owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Hollywood Huntsville Film Lab plans a video shoot in Huntsville and is seeking a Tesla Model S owner to film driving up a mountain road. The video is a short piece of fiction, and the Tesla driver would be a double for the lead character - the driver will be dressed to resemble the lead character, and the driver's face will not be shown. Please PM me if you have interest or could point me to someone.

Are there any Model S owners in Huntsville, AL currently? My father-in-law is considering a purchase but is concerned about lack of Superchargers in B'ham, Montgomery (sounds like from other threads, the Mobile - Greenville - Auburn I-85 route will supplant Montgomery), etc.

I am in Madison/Harvest. Know there are at least 3 others. A year ago the DMV said I was the 5th in Madison County.

Currently we are within range of the Chattanooga Supercharger. Nashville is supposedly due "by end of 2014" but hasn't so much as selected a site yet. Same for Louisville which is necessary to link us north.

Made a 247 mile day down to Bessemer and back on one charge but wouldn't do that with the heater on. Also drove 60 MPH on I-65. Got home with 35 miles remaining, the lowest I've ever drained my battery.

Agree Superchargers are needed on I-65 at Decatur/Athens and Birmingham. But they could put one in Cullman which is about 140 miles to Montgomery and about 140 miles from Nashville. Yet it would not serve the Memphis traffic on US-72 the way Decatur/Athens would. Cullman would be good enough to get me to/from Birmingham.

Also a couple of Model S and Roadsters outside of Huntsville/Madison in north Alabama. Sadly, the only public chargers I know of in Alabama are at the McWane Science Center and Barber Motor Sports in Birmingham. It would be nice if Bridge Street in Huntsville would install a charging station for trips east. Also, a public station in the Shoals would make trips on the Natchez Trace possible (there is a station at the northern terminus of the Trace).

There are two free public chargers in Huntsville on Memorial Parkway at Airport Rd. Look under the solar panels. J1772 and only 25A. And nothing to do within close walking distance.

Alabama interstate rest stops are renowned for having free RV dumps (sewer). Would be awfully nice if Supercharging and other DCQC methods were added.

- - - Updated - - -

When I spent the night in Huntsville a few weeks ago I plugged in overnight right next to a solar array on a main street (don't remember the street) for an overnight free charge. It was VERY nice and appreciated.

They finally did the movie thing?

Updated SC page on TM.com still shows nothing in B'ham or Huntsville/Decatur areas. This will be a sorely needed route for north/south travel.

Ditto. I-65 is a major north/south trunk. Will admit there is not nearly as much traffic between Nashville and Decatur as north of Nashville or south of Decatur. Decatur/Athens could link Nashville-Birmingham and Chattanooga-Memphis. Birmingham will link Atlanta to Mississippi, and the north to the new Greenville Supercharger. Lots of opportunities to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Future Model 3 owner here.

2016 SC map on teslamotors.com shows pins in B'ham as well as what I'm guessing is supposed to be Huntsville. The Atlanta to B'ham distance concerns me a little bit unless the M3 range turns out to be a good bit over 200 miles.

Bump on a old thread. Hanging out in Huntsville - I can go north, but not south! Ready for the Bham SC!
If you're staying in B'ham there are a few good options. The Bohemian in Mt Brook has a couple of J1772's that I've used. Great mgmt and valet crew. They let me self park since I'll no longer let Valet's drive my Tesla after two recent incidents.

There's a pair of J1772's at the Colonnade. Hilton up the hill from there has kind of gone downhill so we'll not be staying there again. There is a Hampton and ?? within walking distance. I believe we were getting 32 MPH off of it a few weeks ago. Edgars and other food options nearby.

But yeah, there's a need for more along I-65. Particularly between B'ham & Nashville and between Nashville & Louisville. Hopefully these will get filled in soon.