Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alarm triggered but no Sentry recording

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are at the mall today and Y is in the parking garage. I get a notification on the phone that the car alarm was triggered. I quickly connect to Sentry Live View but don’t see anything suspicious. Fearing a hit-and-run I rush back to the car and tell my family to stay in the mall.

I get to the car and there isn’t any damage. I go to review the Sentry videos and wouldn’t you know it, the exact point of event is unreadable/unplayable but everything before and after that point is fine.

I love that I received a notification on my phone and can check Live View to ensure the area is safe to return to, but why wasn’t the all important sentry recording accessible? I figure maybe a loud exhaust of a car driving by triggered the alarm but I can’t be sure because there’s no video of the exact moment in question. I even tried popping the microSD into my iPhone adapter but there are no files present during a 12-minute gap where the alarm supposedly triggered. There are file time stamps from all four cameras up to 3:18pm then nothing until 3:30pm again. The alarm notification came in around 3:29pm.

Did the car just glitch and sent out a false alarm when it encountered a write issue recording the the memory card, but somehow recovered and resumed recording a few minutes afterwards? Kind of a strange sequence of events. Still love the Y and the security features!

A71E9E42-EE37-4081-A8C6-91C37F8413A8.jpeg

We have had the same experience with our MX (Palladium?) Refresh alarm going off with Bach playing at increasing volume the longer the alarm is going off. We were parked in a parking garage and were parked in a spot on the side of a ramp along the incline going to the second floor. As we sat in the car trying to figure out the sentry alarm we noticed that the car would literally bounce up and down like in an earthquake as cars were going past us on the ramp. We then experimented by leaving and locking the car. Sure enough, as soon as a pickup truck happened to drive up the ramp the sentry alarm went off again. We could physically feel the cement ramp undulate as the pickup drove by. Our solution is to avoid spots in the park garage that are too flexible like the ramp. One question for Tesla would be, is there a way to make the alarm sequence less sensitive to this type undulation. We get that it probably simulates some criminal trying to load your car onto a tow truck so maybe we just need to live with it.

Pretty sure when the car detects an event it records the video to internal memory. Try opening the DashCam window and look at the top for a recording that has a download button. If you see it download it and then look on the SD card.

We are at the mall today and Y is in the parking garage. I get a notification on the phone that the car alarm was triggered. I quickly connect to Sentry Live View but don’t see anything suspicious. Fearing a hit-and-run I rush back to the car and tell my family to stay in the mall.

I get to the car and there isn’t any damage. I go to review the Sentry videos and wouldn’t you know it, the exact point of event is unreadable/unplayable but everything before and after that point is fine.

I love that I received a notification on my phone and can check Live View to ensure the area is safe to return to, but why wasn’t the all important sentry recording accessible? I figure maybe a loud exhaust of a car driving by triggered the alarm but I can’t be sure because there’s no video of the exact moment in question. I even tried popping the microSD into my iPhone adapter but there are no files present during a 12-minute gap where the alarm supposedly triggered. There are file time stamps from all four cameras up to 3:18pm then nothing until 3:30pm again. The alarm notification came in around 3:29pm.

Did the car just glitch and sent out a false alarm when it encountered a write issue recording the the memory card, but somehow recovered and resumed recording a few minutes afterwards? Kind of a strange sequence of events. Still love the Y and the security features!
You can also take the memory stick to your computer. Sometimes easier to search there.

View attachment 845992
Were you able to fix it? I have been having this issue for few days now

Unfortunately, no. It has happened a couple of other times. I don't know what causes it and formatting the SSD or memory card doesn't fix it. It randomly stops capturing events when I most need the recording, lol.
So it just stopped on its own?
It has been a week for me and turning off the sentry mode doesn’t seem to help. Neighbors complaining. Made service appt - will see how it goes.

So it just stopped on its own?
It has been a week for me and turning off the sentry mode doesn’t seem to help. Neighbors complaining. Made service appt - will see how it goes.
It usually records everything but there have been a couple of times where I go back to look at something and playback jumps around due to gaps in the recording. This happens with various reputable memory cards, as well as SSDs. I think it's a software issue and I don't know if they fix it in one update but then break it again in the next update.

It usually records everything but there have been a couple of times where I go back to look at something and playback jumps around due to gaps in the recording. This happens with various reputable memory cards, as well as SSDs. I think it's a software issue and I don't know if they fix it in one update but then break it again in the next update.
Update: brought the car to service and was explained some sort of connection glitch leading to one of the doors opening and closing. It may be just the signal glitch and doors not actually opening and closing. They loaned me another MY and kept the car until they get the parts they need.