Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Albany NY wall charger electrician / price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the recommendation.
I know each house/situation is different, but could you give an general idea of the price ranges you were quoted? What was the distance from your panel to your wall charger?

Thanks for your help

Hey folks, I'm still looking for a good, licensed electrician, who isn't charging the 'Tesla tax' in the Albany NY area (Latham) to run wires for a wall charger, or at least a 6-20 outlet. I tried contacting the guy mentioned above, but he seems to be busy as he hasn't responded to my emails. Any other recommendations?

Hey folks, I'm still looking for a good, licensed electrician, who isn't charging the 'Tesla tax' in the Albany NY area (Latham) to run wires for a wall charger, or at least a 6-20 outlet. I tried contacting the guy mentioned above, but he seems to be busy as he hasn't responded to my emails. Any other recommendations?
How far is your desired charging site from the electrical panel?
Is it in the same dwelling, or will the charger be installed outside where a trench for the wire needs to be dug?
Do you have any free breaker slots?
What is the model of the panel and the main breaker service?

Having at least those questions answered ahead of time can get you some rough estimates, at least from a materials perspective. The time portion si dependant upon, as someone else pointed out, the uniqueness of your dwelling.

How far is your desired charging site from the electrical panel?
Is it in the same dwelling, or will the charger be installed outside where a trench for the wire needs to be dug?
Do you have any free breaker slots?
What is the model of the panel and the main breaker service?

Having at least those questions answered ahead of time can get you some rough estimates, at least from a materials perspective. The time portion si dependant upon, as someone else pointed out, the uniqueness of your dwelling.
It's a Challenger brand elec panel, with 11 open slots. Most breakers (except the bottom two on the right) are Challenger brand.
I don't know how much power is going to the panel. The main breaker switch at the top of the panel doesn't list any numbers on it, only On/Off, so I dont know how to tell.

The garage is attached to the house. The electric panel is in the unfinished basement on the wall opposite (parallel to) the wall where the garage joins the house. The basement is about 25' across, wall to wall. The panel is straight across from where I'd want to put the charger, i.e. not diagonally across the basement. I estimate that running across the unfinished ceiling, down into the box, and at the other end going up the wall, through the sill joist into the garage and up the charger would be less than 50'.
BreakerPanel.jpg

Reputable electricians are in short supply, services in demand and so they have plenty of work. You bought a $50-60K vehicle that needs a charging station and it’s a one time project if done correctly. Pay up and don’t fret about saving a few hundred bucks.

It's a Challenger brand elec panel, with 11 open slots. Most breakers (except the bottom two on the right) are Challenger brand.
I don't know how much power is going to the panel. The main breaker switch at the top of the panel doesn't list any numbers on it, only On/Off, so I dont know how to tell.

The garage is attached to the house. The electric panel is in the unfinished basement on the wall opposite (parallel to) the wall where the garage joins the house. The basement is about 25' across, wall to wall. The panel is straight across from where I'd want to put the charger, i.e. not diagonally across the basement. I estimate that running across the unfinished ceiling, down into the box, and at the other end going up the wall, through the sill joist into the garage and up the charger would be less than 50'.View attachment 721272
You mentioned L6R-20 - do you want just an outlet, or do you want to hardwire a charger - i.e. Tesla's HPWC?
Depending on the answer, the cost of the wire is your biggest cost factor here. Also, assuming your ceiling is open in the basement to run the horizontal run, the labor costs should not be too bad.
Sharkbite's estimate is pretty on par.
WRG to a "good electrician" vs a "mediocre" one - for a job like this, so long as code is followed, it doesn't make a difference. It'd be a different story if I needed a sparky to run a cable 100feet through an double height 18th century Victorian plaster ceiling without damaging anything, but for an open basement run with no obstacles - go with the lowest price.

50 feet of install with materials was quoted at $900 by several electricians (the unlicensed handyman said $600). My buddy upstate was quoted $900 with materials and install of his wall connector which would be about 70 feet away from the panel. Your city may require a permit, check with them. If you get a real certified person they will handle all the permit work too.

I assume you have this sorted by now but just in case somebody else stumbles on this thread, I used Apex Solar out of Queensbury. They were $500 to install my HPWC right next to the subpanel in my garage. They had to free up some space in the panel with some duplex breakers and installed a new 60amp breaker. Had to wait about 3 weeks or so, but the entire quote process was over the phone/email with pictures and descriptions and the actual bill was not any different than the quote.