Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All 4 Tesla superchargers in DE taken by ICE vehicles.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You all do know that Tesla does not own these parking spaces and they can not forbid anyone from parking there? Talking about damaging a car doesn't seem like the good will that EV owners want to generate.

In my opinion it is very silly if ICE parking at EV spots.

It is a shame for the enviroment to block charging stations.
But I like the idea of taking out air from the tires of the ICE car or taking on soap at the windows, I would never do that, because it is not so legal.

That I would do is parking nearby and charge while blocking the ICE car.
The drawback of this behavior is that ICE poeple will think more and more bad about EV drivers.

mattjn: You said that Tesla doesn't own the parking spaces. But Tesla get the rights to build up the chargers there.

In Germany it's the same problem. If the provider of the charging station doesn't own the parking space, there is no possiblity to remove ICE cars there.

Form my point of view we need s special law for this case.

The Think City is a great tool for educating lazy ICEV drivers. It's made of plastic and is immune to keying...

I actually think blocking them is a great tactic. They'll have to either wait or get hold of you to get away. Leave a note under the wiper with your phone number and that you're sorry you had to block him but you needed to charge. The problem in this case is that the cable is too short.

Last edited:
Would it be worth calling the Delaware Welcome Center and complaining? I would imagine they have some sort of security personnel that could at least make an attempt at keeping ICE out of charging spaces?

Delaware Welcome Center Travel Plaza s Day Better

The problem is obviously much bigger than this, but at least this would make someone aware locally...

That's a great idea. Has anyone called?

While I can understand the furor, any acts of violence or ICE shaming will get the public perception of EVs nowhere. Keying? deflating tires? Bar of soap? REALLY?
As one member put it, 5 minutes relief, life time regret. Anyone considering such action should stop reading/contributing to the anti-EV and anti-Tesla threads because of obvious hypocrisy (looking for smiley with gloriole...)

In fact, it could be a Volt, a BMW ActiveE, or a LEAF that blocks a supercharger slot. Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

IMO it is OK to inform the driver that his/her behavior is causing trouble to any Tesla drivers, and that s/he could get towed and fined in states with according laws (CA, FL, ...?). Contact your representative to push for legislation and/or enforcement of it. But never be the offender yourself.

IMO it could be much simpler than this. An old-school cordon that needs to be removed manually, would do the job just fine. No keys and no homelink necessary. For one, people are too lazy to get out of their cars before parking. And second, removing the cordon before parking in a space where you must not park, makes the violation much more obvious (to bystanders and to their own conscience).

Nope. People at my local mall unlinked the chain and moved the stands out of the way to park at the tesla HPC area.

I'd like to clarify that my whole sugar for the tank and banana in the tail pipe was much more tongue-and-cheek than it seemed (tone of voice doesn't transfer very well). I liked the idea of a fake ticket, especially if it was phrased as some sort of warning and the next time they're caught there it's a $250 fine or something. They'll spread the word, not park there, and not followup so it isn't illegal and gets the message across. If the charging cables were long enough, blocking them while charging is also very appropriate since, you need a charge and they left you no choice.

In California, if the space is properly marked, the car can be towed:
V C Section 22511 Off-Street Parking: Electric Vehicles

V C Section 22511.1 Off-Street Parking: Electric Vehicles: Prohibitions

Does this apply to the Tesla SC spaces? I'd think so but they need to put up proper signage. Who knows what their agreement with the property owner is.

I wonder what would happen if we called the police or highway patrol to report a car blocking the charge station.

I love the sign idea. It would be cool to add the sign in accordance with this law. I bet that alone would deter many.

I'd like to clarify that my whole sugar for the tank and banana in the tail pipe was much more tongue-and-cheek than it seemed (tone of voice doesn't transfer very well).

Besides the Mythbusters debunked the sugar in gas tank thing. No ill effects resulted!

I believe in most locations Tesla leases the spaces. So they do "own" them. With appropriate signage I'm pretty sure they would be within their rights to ticket/tow vehicles. (Depending on jurisdiction... certainly true here.)

Besides the Mythbusters debunked the sugar in gas tank thing. No ill effects resulted!

I believe in most locations Tesla leases the spaces. So they do "own" them. With appropriate signage I'm pretty sure they would be within their rights to ticket/tow vehicles. (Depending on jurisdiction... certainly true here.)

Assuming Tesla's lease allows towing, it would mean that we as customers of Tesla would have to report the issue to Tesla, who in turn would call a towing company. We as individuals don't have standing to authorize the car to be towed.

Amen. Please don't mess with other people's cars.

I don't think any of us were actually serious. The most I would ever do is 1) call a tow truck company to tow their car and 2) block their car while sitting patiently in mine (but would never leave mine unattended). I do think that one of the best things we can do here though is simply bolt a "$250 fine + Car will be towed at owner's expense" sign on the pole as suggested above. Anyone here in the signage business that could whip a few of these up and bolt them to the signs?? ;)

In addition to that, perhaps a new kind of semi-automated camera/ticketing system would work too. Camera's pointed at the spot. If someone is blocked, a model S owner can go up to this box, push a button that will take a picture of their car and license plate and print out a ticket, and then we can slap that on their windshield.

While I can understand the furor, any acts of violence or ICE shaming will get the public perception of EVs nowhere. Keying? deflating tires? Bar of soap? REALLY?
As one member put it, 5 minutes relief, life time regret..
Agree. Also, don't hate (or hurt) the car. Shame the driver all you want, but the car didn't do anything wrong.

I think it's more about PR, and not antagonizing ICE drivers more than they already are, it's listed under "diplomacy"

Tell that to the people with the "blue wheelchair" spots. Park in one of those, and you get fined and towed! If you park in a fire zone, you get towed. I think the concern regarding PR and diplomacy is stupid. In spite of those, those rules, the general public doesn't seem to "hate" mobility impaired people or fire fighters. I think people will learn that those spots are for charging and avoid them. I don't think it will affect public relations.