Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All 4 Tesla superchargers in DE taken by ICE vehicles.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tell that to the people with the "blue wheelchair" spots. Park in one of those, and you get fined and towed! If you park in a fire zone, you get towed. I think the concern regarding PR and diplomacy is stupid. In spite of those, those rules, the general public doesn't seem to "hate" mobility impaired people or fire fighters. I think people will learn that those spots are for charging and avoid them. I don't think it will affect public relations.

And the people who park there (on purpose) know what they are doing so a fine won't make them hate EVs any more than they already do.

Last edited:
My private spot at work was getting abused by strangers, so I made a nice little "reserved parking" sign with a wooden base and set it in the middle of the spot. Works like a charm. Maybe Tesla, or someone in the area could make a few nice looking signs and stick them there, with a message to MS owners to put the sign back when they are done charging.

They should install a strip of those one-way spikes like at a rental car return, so while one could park their ICE vehicle there, unless they have the Tesla provided means of disarming the tire shredder, good luck getting their vehicle back intact! Just the sight of those should deter all but the most clue-free (although not sure how well it would work with snow removal equipment up north.) Similar to removing a 'boot' attached by towing companies, there could be some hefty fee the offender could pay inside the travel center to release their car.

The more visible the deterrent is, and the more likely it will cause immediate harm or financial loss, the more likely it will scare away ICE vehicles.

Tell that to the people with the "blue wheelchair" spots. Park in one of those, and you get fined and towed! If you park in a fire zone, you get towed. I think the concern regarding PR and diplomacy is stupid. In spite of those, those rules, the general public doesn't seem to "hate" mobility impaired people or fire fighters. I think people will learn that those spots are for charging and avoid them. I don't think it will affect public relations.

Totally agree. Towing is not meant to be an act of retaliation, it's just the consequence of a parking violation. As long as there's a warning sign, it's fair.

Our local firefighters told the story (hard to say if true or just a tall tale, but they presented it as true) of the time a car parked in front of a fire hydrant at the scene of a fire. They claim they broke the windows on both sides and ran the firehose through the car.

One of my daughter's past teachers had a practice of parking behind any car that parked in her reserved spot, blocking it in, and heading in to teach all day. Since it was usually a parent dropping of a kid for just a few minutes, it was a pretty painful experience for the violator. Needless to say, violators only violated it once.

the general public doesn't seem to "hate" mobility impaired people
I think there's your solution. Leave a some dead battery EVs in the parking stalls for a while and people will not hate you b/c you've become "mobility impaired".

- - - Updated - - -

They should install a strip of those one-way spikes like at a rental car return, so while one could park their ICE vehicle there, unless they have the Tesla provided means of disarming the tire shredder, good luck getting their vehicle back intact!
And you block off the charger in the process...

Our local firefighters told the story (hard to say if true or just a tall tale, but they presented it as true) of the time a car parked in front of a fire hydrant at the scene of a fire. They claim they broke the windows on both sides and ran the firehose through the car.

This is standard training. Hoses inflate and become like shafts under pressure, you don't get much room to manipulate them without creating a problem for water flow. If it's a truck you can sometimes run it under, depending upon how high the truck sits. Most of the time with cars, you break the windows - and run the hose through it. Sometimes the fire apparatus is used to push the car out of the way - if there's a spot in front or behind. Sometimes, rarely, a fire axe or sledgehammer is needed to create a lip in the door for the hose to rest on if it becomes too kinked.

Needless to say, those who violate don't do it more than once, when they find out the fire department doesn't have to cover this, and sometimes insurance companies won't, either.

- - - Updated - - -

no_parking.jpg

My point was that if the deterrent is obvious and painful looking enough, they won't even bother to park their car in the charger spots.

But if they do mistakenly park there, yeah, that would block the spot until they managed to extricate their vehicle (whether with assistance or with shredded tires)

Perfect solution? No.

Amusing way to envision keeping the charging spots open? Yes.

What they did in our new city garage was to put removable cones in the EV spots. It worked surprisingly well. The gassers were too lazy to get out and move the cones and while a slight inconvenience for EV drivers we now always have charging slots open.