Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Lucid Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of dudes in the Main Thread were giddily anticipating writing Lucid's obituary last night.

IF Model S Plaid and Lucid Air GT are both ~$130k and get ~500 miles of EPA range then you have to ask yourself as a Lucid reservation holder/potential buyer if giving up Model S's superior performance, software, and charging network is worth giving up for leather seating surfaces, alcantera headliner, extra sound deadening material in the wheel wells and trunks, plus nicer carpet. Having a rarer car is also a plus for most people. Model S is becoming quite ubiquitous in many high end neighborhoods.

Now Lucid has two calling cards; range and luxury interior.

BTW Model S Plaid gets 390 miles of range with standard 19" wheels. With wheel/tire package for 200 mph top speed range is reduced to 350 miles. Air's quoted range is for 19" wheels as well. 21" wheels will reduce range.

Wait, people thought regular Plaid would go 500 miles? I rarely even look at the main thread any more, seems like the inmates have taken over the asylum.

I still think Lucid missed their window. If not for their funding interruption they could have been "the electric Mercedes".

Yes, a lot of folks thought Plaid would get 450-500 miles of EPA range. And attacked Fred at Electrek for reporting different. They felt Tesla had to improve the specs after raising the price $10k. Especially after Elon said Plaid was so good Plaid+ was unnecessary.

I strongly disagree Lucid has missed the window.

I think only one automaker has their future guaranteed; and that is Tesla.

And I guarantee there will be more than one future BEV maker.

The EPA numbers for the updated Model S are out. The Long Range gets 405mi at 28kWh/100mi. A full charge takes 113kWh of wall energy (not the same as the battery capacity). That's really good, but the efficiency number still falls well short of what Lucid has claimed, which should be somewhere around 23kWh/100mi.

• Informative
Reactions: RobStark
1624379620972.png

After the SPAC deal is completed, Saudi Arabia will own 62.6% of Lucid. As a result Lucid will be a “controlled company” within the meaning of the Nasdaq rules and will be exempt from certain corporate governance rules. 5 of the 9 board seats belong to the Saudis as well

I rather Lucid was not majority Saudi PIF owned.

But I rather Lucid exist as majority Saudi PIF owned than not exist at all. And it seems rather clear Venrock and other Lucid backers were unwilling to further fund Lucid when they were running out of cash.

Many people here at TMC investor forum are ok with collaborating with the Chinese fascist. Some even give full throat defense of their repression and butchery.

Killing and repressing people in the name of a monotheist theology is no worse nor better than killing and repressing people in the name of an atheist ideology.

I rather Lucid was not majority Saudi PIF owned.

But I rather Lucid exist as majority Saudi PIF owned than not exist at all. And it seems rather clear Venrock and other Lucid backers were unwilling to further fund Lucid when they were running out of cash.

Many people here at TMC investor forum are ok with collaborating with the Chinese fascist. Some even give full throat defense of their repression and butchery.

Killing and repressing people in the name of a monotheist theology is no worse nor better than killing and repressing people in the name of an atheist ideology.

For the record, I'm not in favor of Tesla having a factory in China either. I know that will be very unpopular here, but I firmly that the CCP only allowed the Telsa factory to be built in order for them to siphon off technology to their home-grown state-sponsored entities.

Elon is not coding or coming up with all the new designs. He likely sets targets or outlines ideas.
He obviously picks up technical/complicated ideas quickly.
As for China, Tesla needed it to survive.
In some way, the Elon way fits the Chinese way. Do whatever it takes to "get it done". Can be good for creating a product but not always best for a persons outcome.