Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Lucid Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's this
and this:
Is 4 fires that are not during charging or driving, a lot for ~10k cars? (This don't look like drive battery fire, look same as recent Rivian fire with out the EA)

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
Interesting how much the 800V Lucid drops from peak power vs the 400V Tesla which has a higher average charging power yet the report still talks about the "advantage" of higher voltage.

1686749633409.png

208 miles

The Model S Plaid was only a few miles behind at 193.

A couple other interesting things from their tests:
  • The Lucid Air hit a maximum of 270kW. Why didn't it hit the 300+kW that YouTubers showed was possible? (If I recall correctly that test was on a vehicle specially prepared for the YouTuber by Lucid.)
  • On the 10-80% charge the Lucid Air averaged 147kW while the Model S Plaid averaged 168kW.
    • I just saw the note that the 270kW max for the Lucid Air was only ever achieved below 10%, so it doesn't count in the average.
  • The Kia EV6 did the best in terms of range added in 10 minutes, 127 miles, just ahead of the Lucid Air, 124 miles, and the Model S Plaid, 123 miles.
1686751972125.png

It just goes to show that a properly engineered 400v system is just as good as an 800-1000v system.

Interesting how much the 800V Lucid

I thought the Lucid was a ~920v system...

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
When will Lucid adopt NACS?

If I want to be cynical, I would say never; they will be out of business before switching to NACS become a necessity. (But the Saudis likely won't let them die that easily, they have too much money invested in them.)

Right after they upgrade the Wunderbox to support more than 50kW charging on 400v DC fast chargers. ;)

My guess is that they would be the last to adopt NACS, it goes against their company line of their tech being so much better than Tesla's. (Maybe around the same time as Rivian and VW.) But if a bunch of OEMs start announcing their support of/switch to NACS, that could change.

when V4 is introduced ?
"V4" is here.

The latest pedestals can handle 1000V and 615 Amps.
V3 cabinets charge Semi, so they can output 1000V (either individually or by stacking modules).

Throw in a Megapack with DC bus and the cabinets can go beyond their 350kW grid sourced limit. Sparks has 16 V3s for 4 semi pedestals, but Mondesto has one Megapack and 4 cabinets supplying 4 pedestals at 750kW each.

Reactions: bkp_duke
"V4" is here.

The latest pedestals can handle 1000V and 615 Amps.
V3 cabinets charge Semi, so they can output 1000V (either individually or by stacking modules).

Throw in a Megapack with DC bus and the cabinets can go beyond their 350kW grid sourced limit. Sparks has 16 V3s for 4 semi pedestals, but Mondesto has one Megapack and 4 cabinets supplying 4 pedestals at 750kW each.

How about when V4 is formally introduced not shadow introduced?

Interesting video from Munro comparing the drive units from Tesla and Lucid:

It calls Lucid out on some of their math showing how much better they are than Tesla.
I'm impressed by Lucid, for a first attempt they did a really good job. Too bad for them Tesla had a such a long head start and is making the competition look bad. Maybe their second generation will improve some of their bottle necks and they will finally catch up on Tesla on performance of the entire system.

If I was Toyota I would look at buying Lucid for their tech. Doubt Lucid will ever make any meaningful profit, but maybe the Saudis don't care about that and just want to own a car company and bring industry to their part of the world.

I haven't looked at Tesla, Lucid, and NACS closely for a long time, but from afar, to me it seems logical that Lucid would adopt NACS immediately, even offering a competent retrofit option. Is their board ruled by logic, by any chance? I have no insight into that. Hopefully, there's enough space on their socket panel to allow both NACS and CCS receptacles.

I look at this purely from a product point of view, which is always my guide for how a company will do: what does the customer want? If I were a Lucid owner of a (supposedly) very nice vehicle, would I want to stick up my nose at Tesla by slumming with a bunch of crappy cars in crappy slow charging areas using a hunky plug that is poorly designed and getting terrible charging stats on my car because I'm forced to use an outdated charging standard and my local area hasn't yet upgraded to 150kW, just because theoretically if I do find a 150kW or 350kW charger my car charges the fastest out of any brand? One session like that, and I'll be pretty upset as a Lucid owner.

But let's say most Lucid owners live where there's plenty of 150kW and 350kW chargers. Ok, then, does it matter? Why should I have the clunky chunky plug? Why are all my buddies at the restaurant already eating while I'm across town? Ooops ... no go. I lose. I am not in the company. I don't have a job. But wait, you say, Lucid owners should be owners of companies. Ok, let's limit that market share, then. Let's say only CEOs and company owners own Lucids. Fine. I'm trying to have a business meeting with my potential huge customer, and I have to mysteriously show up from across town after charging elsewhere while my customer is already in the customary spot having his car parked at the Supercharger. How do I look compared to his buddy that also showed up on time also parked at the Supercharger while he was considering competing with me? How compatible with my potential customers' needs do I look showing up not early and somewhat disheveled while he's looking for a great supplier relationship? If I even breath a word of owning a Lucid as an excuse why I didn't show up to my potential customers' meeting early (which might be hard if my car isn't tucked away in the Supercharger somewhere), I'm going to sound like a money grubbing snooty piece of crap.

But wait, you say, Lucid owners aren't even working any more! They've won the life game! They are all retired! Ok, let's try that, then: ditto showing up late and disheveled as above, but now while out on town looking at farms, wineries, whatever my retired interests are. I'm the one who can't charge in the same places, goes to the out of the way holes in the wall that might be good but also have never been reviewed much, etc. A few times this will be fun, but after a while, being a "special case owner" doesn't sound too good as a retiree. Why can't I charge in the safe neighborhood with the Teslas when I want to? (If I also have the CCS plug, being able to skip that dangerous or busy SuperCharger neighborhood to go to the CCS charger across town would be nice, though.) To me, having both NACS and CCS seems like something a retiree would value.

But if I have NACS, I'm as much part of the crowd as I want to be. If I have both NACS and CCS, then I can stay away from more of the crowds more often.

The question gets trickier if only NACS was offered by Lucid. I still think NACS is a better standard, so have the same opinion, but then the transition has to be by choice of the buyer, and retrofit options become even more important. The better pathway is allow retrofit to have both CCS and NACS, put CCS and NACS on all new cars, then drop CCS if the marketplace stops offering CCS chargers.

Are you looking for a place to fit the NACS charger during retrofit (or on new cars)? Look at the mirror side. Now, which side should have the NACS and which the CCS charger? Mercedes owners are used to the gas fill on the right, which I consider the correct answer.

Also, a sleek adapter might work out for retrofit options, if it is light enough. That Chademo adapter for Tesla was clunky and very annoying to use.

My background research:
Awesome charging curve for Lucid: Lucid Air Dream Edition Fast Charging Comparison: 350 kW vs 150 kW
Lucid Air uses CCS: FAQ | Lucid Motors
Knowing what it's like to shop near a nicely placed SuperCharger while on a workday;
Seeing several good looking Lucid Airs driving around Silicon Valley and one even commonly in my own county;
Using Chademo stations which were often connected to CCS chargers in 2016 and 2017 (and being stranded more than once causing me to miss work due to the station not working); using Tesla SuperChargers in the same period of time;
Researching announced Lucid Air specs when they started the company.

Last edited:
Reactions: Electroman
I haven't looked at Tesla, Lucid, and NACS closely for a long time, but from afar, to me it seems logical that Lucid would adopt NACS immediately, even offering a competent retrofit option. Is their board ruled by logic, by any chance? I have no insight into that. Hopefully, there's enough space on their socket panel to allow both NACS and CCS receptacles.
I doubt there is enough room for both, and even if there was they likely wouldn't do that because of the extra complexities and expense.

If I were a Lucid owner of a (supposedly) very nice vehicle, would I want to stick up my nose at Tesla by slumming with a bunch of crappy cars in crappy slow charging areas using a hunky plug that is poorly designed and getting terrible charging stats on my car because I'm forced to use an outdated charging standard and my local area hasn't yet upgraded to 150kW, just because theoretically if I do find a 150kW or 350kW charger my car charges the fastest out of any brand? One session like that, and I'll be pretty upset as a Lucid owner.
Then you would be really upset if you roll up to a Tesla Supercharger and plug in to find that your charging is less than 50kW, because the Wunderbox in the Lucid Air can't charge any faster than that on a 400v charger. (At least until/if Tesla upgrades the Superchargers to support 1000v.)

Then you would be really upset if you roll up to a Tesla Supercharger and plug in to find that your charging is less than 50kW, because the Wunderbox in the Lucid Air can't charge any faster than that on a 400v charger. (At least until/if Tesla upgrades the Superchargers to support 1000v.)
That isn't the way it works. The power capacity of the cabinet supplying the two V2 Supercharger stalls is shared. If the Lucid is taking 50kW, that leaves 100 kW for the Tesla. If we are at a V3 Supercharger, it doesn't matter what the charge rate of the Lucid is, except that the slower it charges the longer it is occupying the stall.

Hopefully Tesla will ramp up the Supercharger installation rate. And hopefully they have a workable solution to the issue that most non-Tesla EVs have charge ports that aren't compatible with the short Supercharger cables.

That isn't the way it works. The power capacity of the cabinet supplying the two V2 Supercharger stalls is shared. If the Lucid is taking 50kW, that leaves 100 kW for the Tesla. If we are at a V3 Supercharger, it doesn't matter what the charge rate of the Lucid is, except that the slower it charges the longer it is occupying the stall.

Hopefully Tesla will ramp up the Supercharger installation rate. And hopefully they have a workable solution to the issue that most non-Tesla EVs have charge ports that aren't compatible with the short Supercharger cables.

By accounts on the Ford and GM deals, ONLY the V3 supercharger are being opened up to non-Teslas. V2 is not in the offing for those users.