Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Lucid Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only way I see the Saudi winning is to unload the shares onto dumb retail investors like how insiders laughed themselves to the banks during the SPAC merger. That was a total scam and lots of dumb investors lost money on churchill capital. Lucid is a dead end. They will continue to lose 1.5B+ a quarter until nothing is left. The car was built on a platform of trying to one up Tesla, not to make money.

Brings me vibes of that movie "Margin Call"

Two new recalls for Lucid Airs today:

Two new recalls for Lucid Airs today:
Great news. Did not know they sold 5000+ cars already..

Another Lucid recall today:
  • An inverter power module can fail resulting in loss of power with no warning, impacting up to 778 vehicles: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCLRPT-23V523-5752.PDF
    • This is resolved by an OTA update to 2.0.66, or newer, which will give the driver at least a 2 minute warning before losing power.
Holy freakin band aid Batman!
All this does is ensure they get a 2 minute warning before the inverter fails.

Reactions: navguy12
Holy freakin band aid Batman!
All this does is ensure they get a 2 minute warning before the inverter fails.
Well, if it is going to fail anyway, I would prefer to get the 2 minute warning... (I have to assume that it has already failed, but that it just continues to operate with the remaining working modules, which might cause more damage?, to allow you to get to a good stopping place.)

Well, if it is going to fail anyway, I would prefer to get the 2 minute warning... (I have to assume that it has already failed, but that it just continues to operate with the remaining working modules, which might cause more damage?, to allow you to get to a good stopping place.)
Yeah, not sure what they are doing since the lack of warning was due to blown fuses. Maybe shut off a phase or partial phase or motor once it starts going uncontrolled to prevent cross conduction shoot through?

Just seems funny to gave a recall that basically says, "oh no, I'll still fail randomly. But we'll warn you, do it's ok".

Reactions: MP3Mike
Another Lucid recall today:
  • An inverter power module can fail resulting in loss of power with no warning, impacting up to 778 vehicles: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCLRPT-23V523-5752.PDF
    • This is resolved by an OTA update to 2.0.66, or newer, which will give the driver at least a 2 minute warning before losing power.
That’s not an adequate resolution. The inverter must be replaced or the software must prevent this power loss,

Reactions: navguy12
That’s not an adequate resolution. The inverter must be replaced or the software must prevent this power loss,
Sure, if you know which inverters will fail in advance. If you can create software that can prevent a hardware failure I'm sure Lucid, and Tesla, would be happy to pay big money for it. (The inverters will be replaced once they have failed.)

It sounds like they only had 7 vehicles fail like this without notice. (Who knows how many failed with the 2 minutes of notice.)

ICE vehicles have many possible failure modes that lead to loss of propulsion, and we have long accepted this. In my 46 years of driving, I can recall three sudden failures that caused loss of propulsion in ICE vehicles: one sudden engine mechanical failure, one transmission mechanical failure and one failure of a CV joint on a front wheel drive car. While we hope to do better, we shouldn't be slagging EVs for having the same warts that we have accepted on ICEV.

Now, to be fair, my ICE failures all occurred on vehicles that were at least five years old. My newer ICE vehicles have been quite reliable. But, it is not up to the NHSTA to mandate reliability. Their mandate is safety. A loss of propulsion, while extremely inconvenient, is not unsafe.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyberShy