Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All regular 85kwh owners, help required

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the standard 85. I made sure never to drive the P85 so I wouldn't know what I was missing. Still delivers plenty of vroom and will get you into trouble if you don't watch the speedometer. On the freeway, you can be doing 20 over in the blink of an eye. I'd actually love Tesla to have an option to have an audible chime after you hit a certain speed. Without the acoustic and vibrational cues, you really have to watch it. Either that, or Tesla should offer a traffic school voucher with each purchase, two with the P85. :)

I was tired of buying new rear tires every 5500 miles: spending more money on rubber than electricity seemed silly after the third or fourth set of new tires.

This. Those 21" low profile summer performance tires will definitely drain your bank. If not by potholes (those rims will get obliterated on pot holes), then definitely by cost of replacement. There were a few posts yesterday on here from owners already getting this feel. I think one used a digital tool and measured tread depth after 3500 miles and tread depth already 40-50% gone. They were estimating around 7000 miles before needing replacement. From the tone in the posts I think they started to feel a little upset about that. I guess they don't understand what 'summer performance tires' are for. Definitely not meant for range or longevity. Even though I got the P85, I downgraded to 19s exactly for this reason. It was delivered to me with 19" Goodyears. I don't particularly like Goodyear though, so I figured when I need replacement I'll put some good Michelins on which usually last me around 30,000-40,000 miles on my other vehicles.

This. Those 21" low profile summer performance tires will definitely drain your bank. If not by potholes (those rims will get obliterated on pot holes), then definitely by cost of replacement. There were a few posts yesterday on here from owners already getting this feel. I think one used a digital tool and measured tread depth after 3500 miles and tread depth already 40-50% gone. They were estimating around 7000 miles before needing replacement. From the tone in the posts I think they started to feel a little upset about that. I guess they don't understand what 'summer performance tires' are for. Definitely not meant for range or longevity. Even though I got the P85, I downgraded to 19s exactly for this reason. It was delivered to me with 19" Goodyears. I don't particularly like Goodyear though, so I figured when I need replacement I'll put some good Michelins on which usually last me around 30,000-40,000 miles on my other vehicles.

my 21"s are down to 5mm of total tread depth. Not sure where they started but they look pretty thin and gettting close to the wear bars. probably 8000 miles will be all they'll get the way I've been driving her.

If you plan one getting leather and air suspension go with the P. It is nice when you have a full car (and just fun as hell to be able to scare the crap out of people)

After my first test drive I instantly opted for 19" wheels. The 21" wheels and tires ride very hard and others have told me the wheels are easily damaged, even in car washes. I have every option possible but elected to go non P85. I understand, however, that it is possible to order a P85 with the 19" wheels, so if you really need that extra second 0-60, I would go this route. I believe there is no discount for going 19".