Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There used to be quite a bit off enthusiasm about JASO on this thread. Today they reported earnings. No one is talking about it. Any insights from the report? The report may not be great but did anything change in terms of the story/reasoning?

I didn't look at it closely, but felt like it can be a great value stock for a while. Not sure if the reasoning is in-tact.

It still is. Most of the quality discussion now is going on at The Contrarian Investor Discussion Board. Do stop by! :)

There used to be quite a bit off enthusiasm about JASO on this thread. Today they reported earnings. No one is talking about it. Any insights from the report? The report may not be great but did anything change in terms of the story/reasoning?

I didn't look at it closely, but felt like it can be a great value stock for a while. Not sure if the reasoning is in-tact.

Recent report on massive solar panel shortage has sent a bunch of Chinese solars way up in the last week. Lots more info (and conversation) seems to happen over on Sleepy and Norse's site The Contrarian Investor on this subject, if you are interested.

As Flux indicated there is more chatter/info on solars over at Sleepy's site. I frequent there/not posting much though. I had a substantial position in both JKS and JASO....sold everything with their run up to earnings. I may miss the big move we have all been waiting for but there are better opportunities I feel and I grew tired of waiting for their big moves. Still have good amount in CSIQ, SPWR and a little in SCTY but I am done with SOL, JASO AND JKS.

If your area provides net metering for solar (ie you can "sell" excess energy back to the grid at the retail rates, which are highest when solar is generating electricity), what is the economic point of have battery storage?
At least two points:
- Net metering will not last forever - it is a measure to encourage solar adoption.
- As the percentage of solar increases, net metering will no longer be practical. There are also significant technical problems in having a large percentage of solar on the grid without batteries, e.g. as seen in Hawaii.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least two points:
- Net metering will not last forever - it is a measure to encourage solar adoption.
- As the percentage of solar increases, net metering will no longer be practical. There are also significant technical problems in having a large percentage of solar on the grid with batteries, e.g. as seen in Hawaii.

Did you mean with or without batteries?

Incidentally, I am currently theorizing that a hugely successful AliBaba (BABA) IPO today could open the floodgates to retail investors in the Chinese solars and other Chinese tech companies. This could bode well for the likes of CSIQ, JASO and others.

If your area provides net metering for solar (ie you can "sell" excess energy back to the grid at the retail rates, which are highest when solar is generating electricity), what is the economic point of have battery storage?

A solar power system often doesn't generate enough surplus energy during the daytime to completely cover the cost of an owner's electricity needs at night. The net effect can be that they still have to pay something to the electric utility.

Solar has really killed my portfolio this last year. As an example, I bought $25 strike J15 SPWR a year ago, which seemed fairly conservative way back then. SPWR is now looking like it might reach back close to it's 52 week low. The chinese solars have been particularly bad.

I would have been far better served to just keep everything in TSLA and never diversify. Hell, I would have been better served diversifying into a market index fund.

I certainly think solar is the future, but from an investment perspective, not good. Ah well, hindsight and all that.

Solar has really killed my portfolio this last year. As an example, I bought $25 strike J15 SPWR a year ago, which seemed fairly conservative way back then. SPWR is now looking like it might reach back close to it's 52 week low. The chinese solars have been particularly bad.

I would have been far better served to just keep everything in TSLA and never diversify. Hell, I would have been better served diversifying into a market index fund.

I certainly think solar is the future, but from an investment perspective, not good. Ah well, hindsight and all that.

I was just thinking that SPWR will be getting a larger percentage soon. I got hammered with solars this year too. Last year I did better with them than I did TSLA.