Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solar stocks look like they are poised for take-off.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some preannouncements coming before the actual earnings results. Some companies are going to crush earnings.

Excited to see what Wall St. will think about these earnings. I think that they will be an eye opener for the market.

Solar is becoming a profitable industry and there are some companies that are going to be very profitable. I think that CSIQ and JKS may get close to $1 EPS in Q3 if everything goes right. My worst case is around $0.50 EPS, which is still miles ahead of the few analysts that cover these stocks.

SPWR looks like it is breaking out of that cup with handle technical pattern and is about to take off.

Congress shook out all of the week longs out of solar and now they are ready to go even higher. Looking good so far, but congress giveth and congress taketh away. Let's hope they get a deal done soon.

I am really looking forward to Q3 earnings season. Glad I went all in yesterday.

Happy investing everyone.

Because of the political climate I would sell on opening. Im holding the chinese because of the good news from china today. Offcourse the politicians could come to an agreement today or this weekend, I think they know they should

Thanks for the advise Norse. Good thing I didn't listen to you thou :p

I think with SCTY breaking the $45.50 resistance I feel pretty good about holding until it hits the ATH, which I think it could do before end of month.

Solar stocks look like they are poised for take-off.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some preannouncements coming before the actual earnings results. Some companies are going to crush earnings.

Excited to see what Wall St. will think about these earnings. I think that they will be an eye opener for the market.

Solar is becoming a profitable industry and there are some companies that are going to be very profitable. I think that CSIQ and JKS may get close to $1 EPS in Q3 if everything goes right. My worst case is around $0.50 EPS, which is still miles ahead of the few analysts that cover these stocks.

SPWR looks like it is breaking out of that cup with handle technical pattern and is about to take off.

Congress shook out all of the week longs out of solar and now they are ready to go even higher. Looking good so far, but congress giveth and congress taketh away. Let's hope they get a deal done soon.

I am really looking forward to Q3 earnings season. Glad I went all in yesterday.

Happy investing everyone.

Very interesting Sleepy, I already hold CSIQ and SOL and I'm considering adding a few more solar companies. Are there any others besides JKS and SPWR that you would recommend?

For Solar stocks, I am long on SCTY and STP.

Huge gain today on SCTY for me. From a pure technical play, at $47, I switch from bull call spread to bear call spread. On top of it, I bought some weekly put expired today.

The up and down of TSLA cause me to refine my trading approach. This is one outcome out of it. The first time ever I use a bear call spread, I think the scenario for SCTY fits well.

I plan to take advantage of short term pull back, perhaps only for a couple of days.

Thanks for the advise Norse. Good thing I didn't listen to you thou :p

I think with SCTY breaking the $45.50 resistance I feel pretty good about holding until it hits the ATH, which I think it could do before end of month.

Yeah im glad you didnt. It really surprised me that we started so good today. Seems to me the markets also think there will be a deal during the weekend.

Very interesting Sleepy, I already hold CSIQ and SOL and I'm considering adding a few more solar companies. Are there any others besides JKS and SPWR that you would recommend?

You pretty much covered them all. But you can probably buy any of the solar companies and do really well.

I also have a really big exposure to JASO. Main reason is that it has been a big laggard and I like playing laggards in the industry. It has one of the best balance sheets and is only a few months behind its competitors in the income statement department. I think that this one has the most upside in the short run, because of its cheap valuation.

It is also very close to breaking out of its two year reverse head and shoulders technical chart pattern and once it does it will go up to $20 in no time.

I didn't do much research on JASO though, so I am not certain on all of their fundamentals. But JASO is priced so low, with such a good balance sheet, and an awesome technical chart that I loaded up the boat on JASO options without even looking at the fundamentals too closely. Because they are going to be beating analyst estimates in the near future anyway.

Analysts are so far behind on these Chinese solar companies that it is not even funny. That is why all of these stocks are still cheap today.

Q3 solar earnings will be an eye opener for Wall St. and the earnings will only be getting better, in some cases exponentially better.

Analysts are so far behind on these Chinese solar companies that it is not even funny. That is why all of these stocks are still cheap today.

Q3 solar earnings will be an eye opener for Wall St. and the earnings will only be getting better, in some cases exponentially better.
Are you mostly taking Nov/Dec options and then seeing where things are going from there after Q3, or buying up longer term options/stock?

If SCTY breaks the 47.5 resistance then probably only 50$ will stop it... I think it will be hard to break through... looks like it will at least try. I would like to time the moment in which I place my upper legs back in....will be hard to get it right.
Also should we start getting worried about a sharp pullback?

Update: bouncing back off (despite market going up). Maybe one more try.... but we are up 21%....the momentum is broken and it would take something major to push it up significantly. At this point I would be happy if it settled around 47$ today without losing ground as people take profits.

Last edited:
Oh... Solar City....

So funny story, I bought some lottery tickets last week before all the government shutdown crashes. Only spent 100 dollars, but still pretty funny.

Untitled.png

Jhall, congrats? Did you cash out your call?

Are all the solar companies we are tracking here expected to release their Q3 earnings in November? It would be great to have a list of potential dates to help with timing and short-term strategy. For instance, JASO reported their Q3 2012 last year on November 28, 2012. Is it like to be around that date or could it be a totally different date, perhaps first week of Nov?

Jhall, congrats? Did you cash out your call?

Are all the solar companies we are tracking here expected to release their Q3 earnings in November? It would be great to have a list of potential dates to help with timing and short-term strategy. For instance, JASO reported their Q3 2012 last year on November 28, 2012. Is it like to be around that date or could it be a totally different date, perhaps first week of Nov?

Go to the investor relations section on each of their websites and look at last years press releases to grt a feel for when they announce earnings.