Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, will try to get it fixed. Btw I looked at options when CSUN was up 6-7% today, decided they were to expensive. Got some stocks tho :)

I actually sold of some of my CSIQ options yesterday (a very small portion to raise capital) in order to buy some CSUN options (CSUN was actually up 10% yesterday when I was buying options, so that goes against my strategy of buying on dips). The options were up 50% earlier today, so probably up 75% by now. The sad thing is that I saw CSUN down 6% today and thinking, I should probably raise some more capital to buy more CSUN, but I never did because I got busy at work; and the stock turned around quickly.

Note on CSUN - This is a highly speculative stock that I have done no research on at all. It will probably go to $0 and I don't recommend investing in it. If it doesn't go to $0 or back to $2, then it might go to $10 or $20. I figured it doesn't hurt to buy a few lottery tickets, but don't recommend putting any serious money into this stock before you do extensive research on it.

Looks like there is a general risk-off trade in the markets and the solar stocks might be heading for a pullback. I am holding anyway to stay true to my buy and hold strategy. I am holding at least through earnings, but that is just me.

Buy and hold wins again. No need to try to time the market with these stocks. In order to come out ahead, You would have had to sold at 09:42am EST, then bought back at 10:54am. So there is no way you will get that lucky timing the market on a consistent basis.

Buy and hold is still the best way to play solar. Those looking for a pullback to get in, had their chance today. Like I wrote a few days ago, it looks like everybody wants solar and the pullbacks are intraday only and last for an hour. Have to be ready to pull the trigger.

Sooner or later we might get a 2-3 day pullback or even 1-2 week pullback, but I don't see that happening before earnings season. And after earnings season it might be too late to get a great bargain.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add that at one point today my options portfolio was down about 15%; at least that was my guess because I couldn't stand to look and never logged in to find out. After the turn around I might be up 15%; for a 30% turnaround in just a few short hours. This is my entire portfolio I am talking about and not just one position. How many people have that kind of risk tolerance? That's why I don't recommend following my strategies and don't like disclosing my positions.

The positions I enter make sense for me, because I am able to execute my strategy. Most people on the other hand would be selling to cut their losses short, only to find out that it was a bad move just hours later.

I went short SCTY against a small long position via an excessive number of weekly 65 strike calls SCTY between friday and monday. As the price climbed up I kept on doubling down on that one strike, which worked well when there was a pullback but could have been a disaster. As for now, I could see the price popping back up to 65 in the next few days but I feel that's unlikely and I'm going to hold till thursday to get a little more time decay out of these short weekly contracts.

In regard to your last question: I see that fluctuation of 10% or more on a weekly basis, i've got 110% of my margin used all the time. I do like your strategy, I entered Spwr after you suggested taking a look. Thanks for the advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add that at one point today my options portfolio was down about 15%; at least that was my guess because I couldn't stand to look and never logged in to find out. After the turn around I might be up 15%; for a 30% turnaround in just a few short hours. This is my entire portfolio I am talking about and not just one position. How many people have that kind of risk tolerance? That's why I don't recommend following my strategies and don't like disclosing my positions.

The positions I enter make sense for me, because I am able to execute my strategy. Most people on the other hand would be selling to cut their losses short, only to find out that it was a bad move just hours later.

I do *raising hand* :) Have had at least a couple of times where my entire portfolio was down 15-20%! Hurts really bad to see that but just gotta let things work themselves out (and hope they do!). And it doesn't help to keep checking it.

Slowing getting some JASO shares and options. Tried to execute an option order to buy calls and was wondering why it wasn't executing... looked at the time and it just turned 1pm (PST)! Either I'm going to really be mad at myself tomorrow b/c JASO is going to shoot up (with my luck this will most likely happen) or will be happy to find a decent dip to buy.

I've noticed that buying options with these stocks you have to kind of be aggressive and go for the ask price sometimes. Sucks b/c as soon as you buy you're already down 5-15%. But these things turn around pretty fast so just have to stick with it (this is why buying longer term helps).

I know @sleepy and others have been buying a ton of different companies but personally I'm not going to try to catch every 20% rise (wow CSUN!) b/c I'll probably miss it and catch the downside. I'm just trying to stick to a few that I have the time to read about and do some research and can follow.

I think I saw my portfolio hit -20% soon after the shutdown crap and Model S fire occurred just a day or two after it had been +30%. Then when the recovery occurred I ran back to+30% in half a day only to see -10% again this week :) So I'm getting used to it and I know that Tesla exposure alone can move my stock 30% per 10 usd move on TSLA.... Bit as the fundamental parts are there I just keep cool and buy the dips. Though now I'm out of free cash after todays dips so now if I want to buy more I need to oiquidate some solar wins ;)

China smog emergency shuts city of 11 million people | GlobalPost

I think someone posted this before. It seems like the smog situation has been affecting China in my metro cities. Does anyone know whether smog also affect in rural areas as well? I'm trying to understand how (and if) the problem affects existing and new solar power plants.

I would not be conserned about that atm. I posted the same news earlier as a reason for building more solar :)

I bought 20 of the $36 CSIQ APR 14s at $1.00 using money at I was willing to kiss goodbye as it is a pretty small portion of my portfolio. My plan was to hopefully be able to sell enough of them the week of earnings to hopefully pay for the other ones and ride the ones left through earnings.

Now these calls are already at $2.00 just 11 days later. I feel like I'm greedy if I stick to my original plan but it's a small portion and if I were to end up losing all of my current gains due to **insert bad event here** I wouldn't be that sad. I know others posted that they got some of these calls so just wanted to see if anyone else is in a similar (nice to have) dilemma.

Oh and Sleepy, nice website :)

I bought 20 of the $36 CSIQ APR 14s at $1.00 using money at I was willing to kiss goodbye as it is a pretty small portion of my portfolio. My plan was to hopefully be able to sell enough of them the week of earnings to hopefully pay for the other ones and ride the ones left through earnings.

Now these calls are already at $2.00 just 11 days later. I feel like I'm greedy if I stick to my original plan but it's a small portion and if I were to end up losing all of my current gains due to **insert bad event here** I wouldn't be that sad. I know others posted that they got some of these calls so just wanted to see if anyone else is in a similar (nice to have) dilemma.

Oh and Sleepy, nice website :)

$1 for the April 36, come on now you overpaid :tongue: If you look at the all-time high and all-time low price for that option, the all-time low was set by me 14 days ago at $0.69 :biggrin: I am holding on to these until expiration.

I had nothing to do with the website design, but I did come up with the name for it and was shocked to find out that the domain was available and nobody claimed it. Norse' friend Boris set up the website and Norse has contributed a little as well. It is a work in progress.

Solar stocks finished really strong today, something is up. Maybe some big fund started buying them and algo's caught on and started buying as well. There was a monster rally from the bottom today. It's like the market mood did a complete 180 from "risk-off" on solar to "risk-on" big-time in a manner of minutes. I have no idea what caused it.

My guess is that the word is getting out on solar and the big institutional funds are starting to buy into it. The great news is that these stocks are so cheap that if a big fund decided to put 1% of its funds in one of the solar companies, it would have to buy the whole company :)

If institutions start buying solar, because Q3 might just show that solar is investible, then these stocks may go up a lot higher.

$1 for the April 36, come on now you overpaid :tongue: If you look at the all-time high and all-time low price for that option, the all-time low was set by me 14 days ago at $0.69 :biggrin: I am holding on to these until expiration.

Yeah...I know I did! When I was buying I think bid was .80 and ask was $1.00. I was really trying to get $.90 but was afraid it was going to get away and wanted all 20 so I increased my bid to $1.00. Silly me! That .20 bid ask spread kills when the price is $.80-$1.00 but I'm not complaining. Glad to hear you're holding to expiration, I was guessing you would! I think I would be surprised if they don't end ITM. Assuming CSIQ keeps going up I might sell 5 of the 20 right before earnings and hold the rest until expiration.

This is the opposite of me. I am waiting for a slight recovery in TSLA so I can raise some cash for solar. I'm hoping to create a delayed bull spread, it's been a while waiting though.
Yea, pretty much the same here. I'm completely tapped out and not much reason to sell anything for about 3 weeks until after various earnings calls (most of my options are mid-Nov, Dec, and a couple Jan). I'd like to get rid of my margin use, but again, seems better to eat 3 weeks of interest and then pare down. I never really wanted to use margin at all, but I guess I got greedy when I could pick up new options for less than my previous ones.

Geesh sleepy! After I read your article I was looking through the JASO OTM options and a lightbulb went off in my head. There is a small potential to get stupid rich here with playing 2014 OTM options without even betting the farm and a decent chance of making good money. There's also a decent chance to lose most if not all money spent on OTM calls but when you don't have to bet the farm who cares. Now I feel silly that I was thinking about selling any of my sparse 20 CSIQ contracts that I only paid $100 a pop for. I think I finally get why you aren't so much in TSLA anymore.

I'm going to have to reallocate some more TSLA funds over for a few JASO March and/or June calls tomorrow if it's not too late. Worst case I already have a decent number of shares. Don't worry, I'm not going to bet the farm!

Yeah...I know I did! When I was buying I think bid was .80 and ask was $1.00. I was really trying to get $.90 but was afraid it was going to get away and wanted all 20 so I increased my bid to $1.00. Silly me! That .20 bid ask spread kills when the price is $.80-$1.00 but I'm not complaining. Glad to hear you're holding to expiration, I was guessing you would! I think I would be surprised if they don't end ITM. Assuming CSIQ keeps going up I might sell 5 of the 20 right before earnings and hold the rest until expiration.

Don't feel bad, I always buy at full asking price. I try to get cheaper deal but it never happens anyway unless the stock goes down. I don't care if it goes down, because that is when I buy at full ask. When I think it is cheap I buy. I don't want to miss a huge run up by trying to scalp a nickel off the ask price.

I was waiting a week for my funds to flow into my new account. And as soon as I got the funds (one day too late, because the day before was absolute bottom), and while all of the stocks were about 8% up that day, I loaded up on options at full ask price not to miss the next big move.

Geesh sleepy! After I read your article I was looking through the JASO OTM options and a lightbulb went off in my head. There is a small potential to get stupid rich here with playing 2014 OTM options without even betting the farm and a decent chance of making good money. There's also a decent chance to lose most if not all money spent on OTM calls but when you don't have to bet the farm who cares. Now I feel silly that I was thinking about selling any of my sparse 20 CSIQ contracts that I only paid $100 a pop for. I think I finally get why you aren't so much in TSLA anymore.

I'm going to have to reallocate some more TSLA funds over for a few JASO March and/or June calls tomorrow if it's not too late. Worst case I already have a decent number of shares. Don't worry, I'm not going to bet the farm!

This post actually made me happy; I am glad that I am not the only one who thinks this way. If you look at those JASO March calls you are going to buy compare the price you pay tomorrow to the all-time lows. You will probably find a few of my transactions there as well. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Trina TSL

Solar City buys from many sources including TSL, YGE, and CSIQ that I know of. I am sure that there is at least a few others as well.