Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Darn. I've been bailing out of my DEC and JAN options as they broke even and moving to LEAPS and stock. My KNDI just barely fell short of break even limit sales yesterday. SOL needed some work, but yesterday started to give me hope, though it's looking grim now (SOL's chewed up much of the profit on my other solar options). I probably should have cut all my losses yesterday, though there's still time.

I have a few bucks on the side. I am not ready to buy until the NSADAQ shows its ready to make a run for 4000 again. Its working on a 2% pullback right now if today continues and if it goes below 3900 then i dont know what to think.
Also that negative article on Chinese solar plant spending obviously has solars in a spook. If the negativity continues and NASDAQ continues to fall, could be a long ride down.

Agreed. My orders all expired with the dow market close at 4pm. I had orders in at 10% below market..a bit aggressive but with the negative Chinese articles today it seemed prudent.

In the short time (1 year or so) if have been following solar, it seems stock movement in relation to earnings reports are very unpredictable short term (ie first 3-4 days). After a week or so the market seems to get it right. So, Jhall, while I could be completely wrong, I would hold onto any short term call's for December for TSL.

Probably the difference between investing and trading...traders get in to play earnings calls and then get out, sending the solar sector for a brief tailspin. TSL just happened to be the last significant potential earnings bump and therefore suffered when the traders looked to lock in gains and looked for the door. The thing to watch will be some of the analyst moves (like with JKS today)....analyst upgrades and to see if any institutions start paying attention. A few of the solar companies - JKS, CSIQ have around 20% institutional ownership - SPWR has 72%. If institutions become interested, with the small floats, there is bound to be price pressure upwards. The time between now and next months earnings (and 2014 guidance) will be fascinating. JKS is projected by analysts to have an EPS of $.49 per share in 2014......which seems conservatively low by 1/2 or 4 fold. After today, CSIQ's forward PE is 12...and a joke at that.

There was also this article Japan's solar dream shatters as projects fail - Yahoo Finance out about Japan's solar incentives - which could also be disquieting as the some of the highest margins are coming out of Japan. I think the China & Japan article along with "traders" & profit-taking is a good reason for the post-earnings swoon. Watch analyst upgrades, new analysts covering Chinese solar companies and institutional interest. I will be a buyer of stock and LEAPS for CSIQ, JKS, and SPWR over the next couple weeks.

On a separate note...I sold some TSLA I bought for $40/share in my IRA today and used the proceeds to buy a raft of Jan 2016 175 contracts...it may not be the bottom, but between Sal Demir's and my own models I have TSLA at somewhere between $280 and $400 depending on multiple for the end of 2015...time to be a little greedy as you can almost cut the fear with a knife. Still playing with house $.

Thanks again to Sleepy - sorry you got in a bit of a spat with some forum members....there seem to be some that are both fearful and greedy at the same time - not a good combo. It is educational to look at my stock vs. my LEAPS in solar after a day like today - Stock with still rock-solid gains, LEAPS bleeding by 1/2. Sleepy - Thanks for both your caution and candor.

Peace.

Lots of FUD out there on solar today from Reuters, Barron's, Nomura, Axiom, etc.

Two steps forward, one step back.

Buy and hold is our only weapon against this FUD. The moment you start selling out of fear is the moment you start losing money. Don't try to over think the market, because you never know when a 10% gain day will come. Maybe DB comes out tomorrow and sets the story straight.

This ER has only strengthened my desire to invest in solar; didn't even know that was possible.

Great times ahead for solar. Q3 is proving that things are coming along even faster than I anticipated.

Great buying opportunity.

Oh god now like Tesla, with the emergence of Solar we are seeing FUD in this industry as well. Solar has a slight advantage in fighting FUD unlike Tesla. Solar is made up of multiple players who can better defend their game. I sense fear from the shorts and the friends of the old-but-not-gold energy companies.

Hi All!

Been lurking here for a few months and just wanted to drop a line to the group and say thanks for the solid info, really enjoy the dialogue.

I'm long CSIQ, JASO, SOL, TSL mostly stock with some options for fun. Also TSLA but got in close to the ATH, waiting it out though.

Hoping for a stellar 2014

Muskol from Toronto.