Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Back in 2008, Solar City was almost killed by their source of financing drying up. I think this is a brilliant move, because in any future retreat of the institutions, the individual investors will be looking for a nice return on a long term contract.

This will be a great way to alleviate some of the major risks that SCTY could face, i.e. huge financing. I like that they are being creative and I hope that people do invest in these structured investment vehicles.

I will personally stay away though, because by investing in this you are essentially making a bet that 1) The homeowner will pay his bills on time or at all; 2) The Chinese panels will hold up for 20 years.

Even though it sounds like a great alternative to bonds, make no mistake that these are revenue bonds and if homeowners stop paying then you may not collect your coupon payment.

I would not invest in such vehicles, but there are many people that will. SCTY is doing a great job in mitigating its risks, one by one.

Thanks to all the wisdom shared here (specially sleepyhead), I got into CSIQ common stock @ 28 and again on the dip on Monday @35.6.
Seeing some decent gains now, wondering if folks think there are any near term target price to book profits. My plan is to book profits on half my holdings and keep the other half long term.

Last edited:
I was looking at converting some shares to LEAPS today for CSIQ, but when I ran the numbers, it didn't make much sense to do so. (Converting common to 3x LEAPS at $40 strike yielded basically the same result as holding common) their must be some hefty premium attached that I'm not knowledgeable enough to dissect. The added risk of time decay didn't make any sense to me and so I will just keep sitting on the common.

I was looking at converting some shares to LEAPS today for CSIQ, but when I ran the numbers, it didn't make much sense to do so. (Converting common to 3x LEAPS at $40 strike yielded basically the same result as holding common) their must be some hefty premium attached that I'm not knowledgeable enough to dissect. The added risk of time decay didn't make any sense to me and so I will just keep sitting on the common.

I've found a combination works best for me :
hold a stock position underneath, while an OTM LEAPS position to capture the growth as it comes to your strike. when it does, then roll it up and out- I currently carry J15 $30 and J16 $35 that are now ready to roll up soon after ER. To determine strike, I typically anticipate a value for the stock at 6 months prior to the expiration and use that. If it comes faster, roll it up. If it comes slower you've got lots of cushion.
With a high growth situation I balance heavily to the LEAPS, but in a couple of years as growth mitigates, move the balance to favor the stock

Quick question — I have a few JASO MAR 11, 12, 17 calls that I bought before Q3 ER. They are obviously about 70% under water right now. Would it make sense to cut the losses now or wait for a miracle around Q4 ER?

I'd hold them. no doubt. Solars usually trade in tandem I'm sure that JASO will be dragged along the momentum going into ER at the very least. But this is just my way of thinking and come to think of it, I don't know enough about options to be handing out advice anyway haha, it's just that I'm in the same boat as you are, holding MAR 11's :)

Quick question — I have a few JASO MAR 11, 12, 17 calls that I bought before Q3 ER. They are obviously about 70% under water right now. Would it make sense to cut the losses now or wait for a miracle around Q4 ER?

I am not going to answear that, but I would not have sold now. If you can roll them into June calls that might nor be a bad idea. Here is the date of the last Q4 ER. JA Solar Holdings (JASO): March 25, 2013

I'm with Larken, unusual volume for this early in the morning.

Touched 47 on 5k volume

I was refering to when volume was at 875. That is not unusal high volume for csiq at all.
At nasdaq it has a high at $44.90

- - - Updated - - -

"It's over 9000!!" shares traded now. Want to talk? ;)

My weekly $42 and Feb $50 is excited :)

I obviously see CSIQ going big since I hold those calls, but I would like to remind you guys that pre-market and regular hours are completely different 98% of the time in the Solar Sector the last months.

SolarCity (SCTY) +3.8% premarket after Deutsche Bank initiates coverage with a Buy rating and $90 price target, as analyst Vishal Shah expects SCTY's install base to double through 2015 and 2016.
The firm believes SCTY is poised to benefit from accelerating growth of distributed generation as retail electricity customers switch to solar and an increasing number of U.S. states achieve grid parity by 2016.
Shah estimates SCTY's market penetration is ~0.2% in existing markets and thinks cumulative MW deployed can reach at least 3 GW by 2016, which would still imply only ~1% market penetration; he says his 2016 estimates are likely conservative as SCTY is targeting 1M customers, implying ~6 GW deployed by mid-2018.