Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SolarCity (SCTY) +3.8% premarket after Deutsche Bank initiates coverage with a Buy rating and $90 price target, as analyst Vishal Shah expects SCTY's install base to double through 2015 and 2016.
The firm believes SCTY is poised to benefit from accelerating growth of distributed generation as retail electricity customers switch to solar and an increasing number of U.S. states achieve grid parity by 2016.
Shah estimates SCTY's market penetration is ~0.2% in existing markets and thinks cumulative MW deployed can reach at least 3 GW by 2016, which would still imply only ~1% market penetration; he says his 2016 estimates are likely conservative as SCTY is targeting 1M customers, implying ~6 GW deployed by mid-2018.

hmm.... Can somebody provide a SCTY chart? I'd like to get when it dips into the bottom channel.

First rule of trading in 2014: Hold CSIQ.

+100

SPWR has done nothing for months and I needed some cash, so at the open this morning I sold some short term covered calls on my SPWR stock.

And, of course, it chooses today to finally go bonkers. Literally minutes after I sold the call.

Wow fantastic start to the day for my portfolio! Every company I own shares/options in (JASO, SPWR, CSIQ) are up nicely. Looks like I pulled out of JKS in time too. Only one down besides SOL and LDK that I can see.

I'm definitely reentering JKS at a later time once the dilution spooking wears off.

Either you only post your bad trades or you must have the worst luck in the world.

Just keep at it, the tide will turn eventually.
Not sure if it's luck or I just suck that bad. I'm probably the only one here that's lost money on solar in the last 3 months.

I actually sat for a while last night figuring out if I want to sell TSLA, sell the SPWR, or write a put/call. After looking at things, I figured SPWR hadn't moved in 3 months (overall, lots of small rises and dips) and I could risk a 2 week covered call on it since that expires before earnings. I actually tried to think it through :)

I have an equivalent quantity of LEAPS in SPWR though at a much lower strike price, so I suppose it ends up something of a wash. I can sell part of the LEAPS to pay for the call when it comes due.

Edit: I'd note a good trade for sleepy, but it was for TSLA this morning so not for this thread :wink:

Last edited:
Don't worry I am in the same boat...

Not sure if it's luck or I just suck that bad. I'm probably the only one here that's lost money on solar in the last 3 months.

I actually sat for a while last night figuring out if I want to sell TSLA, sell the SPWR, or write a put/call. After looking at things, I figured SPWR hadn't moved in 3 months (overall, lots of small rises and dips) and I could risk a 2 week covered call on it since that expires before earnings. I actually tried to think it through :)

I have an equivalent quantity of LEAPS in SPWR though at a much lower strike price, so I suppose it ends up something of a wash. I can sell part of the LEAPS to pay for the call when it comes due.

SPWR has done nothing for months and I needed some cash, so at the open this morning I sold some short term covered calls on my SPWR stock.

And, of course, it chooses today to finally go bonkers. Literally minutes after I sold the call.

Your not alone, sold off my shares yesterday to buy some TSLA on the late afternoon dip. I should have let you know, it was guaranteed to shoot up today after I did that.

Edit: I'd note a good trade for sleepy, but it was for TSLA this morning so not for this thread :wink:

Sorry to hear that. Just a tip on playing options for the future:

Buy when a stock is stagnant/flat/low IV

Sell when it is going up like crazy and IV is spiking.

If you want to make money in options you buy when IV is low and sell when it is high. There is really no other way to play options unless you want to lose money.

My friend, you're not alone.

I hold common stock only in CSIQ, JKS, SPWR, YGE and SOL. SPWR and SCTY aren't busy traded in Frankfurt Stock exchange, but today SCTY picked up steam and is traded at 55 euros 6 times heavier than the days before on the most volume that i have seen so far.
Still waiting for SOL to improve. The others are in the green.

Heh, glad I'm not alone, but I didn't meant to start a pity party.

The SPWR thing is going to be interesting actually. My LEAPS are at a $25 strike price and seem to be gaining value faster than the $33 Feb 7th calls I sold are losing value. I'm generally mathematically inclined, but I'm not quite sure I follow why that is. I guess the farther ITM it is, the more the underlying value mirrors movements in the stock. I suppose that goes in the "n00b" questions thread.

SolarCity (SCTY) +3.8% premarket after Deutsche Bank initiates coverage with a Buy rating and $90 price target, as analyst Vishal Shah expects SCTY's install base to double through 2015 and 2016.
The firm believes SCTY is poised to benefit from accelerating growth of distributed generation as retail electricity customers switch to solar and an increasing number of U.S. states achieve grid parity by 2016.
Shah estimates SCTY's market penetration is ~0.2% in existing markets and thinks cumulative MW deployed can reach at least 3 GW by 2016, which would still imply only ~1% market penetration; he says his 2016 estimates are likely conservative as SCTY is targeting 1M customers, implying ~6 GW deployed by mid-2018.

DB has caught on to the SCTY growth story. Doubling almost every year and aiming for 1m customers by mid-2018. This is what was talking about several months ago.