Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think SPWR wil do some outperforming this year as a catchup - I'm holding J15 $40s and J16 $45s - a little worried those strikes are lofty though so may move them down after ER coming up if it doesn't pop

@FluxCap - agree, one of the biggest market over reactions I've seen in a while; great buying ops for growth stocks -TSLA-Solar- Apple etc. imo that will see little effect from emerging market currency issues

Agreed. Bought options in JASO, TSLA and CSIQ today. JASO LEAPS as it may take a little longer for recovery and setting up ER positions for TSLA and CSIQ. May be better prices Monday but we are looking at a good buying opportunity today, and especially with solars, they could just as easily shoot up 10% Monday as go down.

Looks like another day of rape on the solar stocks. JASO down -4.8% pre-market, CSIQ -3.3%, JKS -4.6%. Only SCTY and SPWR keep to within 1% loss. So seems the SEC investigation is still hurting. Though this looks like a buying opportunity it's a tough market ;)

Looks more like the solar correction is because of China's "announcement" of solar capacity increase for 2014 of 10GW instead of the expected 14GW

GCL-Poly Drops After China Sets Solar Target: Hong Kong Mover - Bloomberg

The article points out that China guided for 10GW in 2013 and built 12GW. Looks like classic buying opportunity after a good run up - CSIQ is down over 15% in last 5 days after a really good 40% run. May be a good time for an earnings play as they will not be impacted as much from a (potential, but unlikely) slowdown in China and keep announcing what looks like a sales pipeline with Blackrock for Canadian solar plants.

I posted this on Contrarian as well, but looking for opinions here: I had sold my SCTY stock when it touched 78 a week or more ago. I'd like to get back in but unsure about that dilution talk. Anybody with thoughts on the right time to buy into SCTY shares again? It is tempting today.

Petition you should sign if you like solar!

Protect Californians Solar Rights! | CREDO Mobilize

Why is this important?

The California Public Utilities Commission is preparing to decide how long solar customers can expect to receive the important bill saving benefits of California’s popular net metering program. Solar produces reliable power for 30 years or more, and solar customers should expect stable rules and predictable credit on their power bills to match.

But big utilities are up to their old tricks, lobbying at the Commission to change the rules on Californians who go solar to make solar a bad financial deal. What kind of message would that send to all those families, schools and businesses who invested their own time and money to turn their roofs into clean power sources for all of us - and to others who are thinking about going solar now?

Changing the rules on solar customers mid-stream would drastically slow our state’s solar momentum – not to mention, it’s downright unfair! We can’t let the utilities rewrite the rules for solar customers to protect their outdated business model. That’s why we need California citizens to make their voices heard in support of protecting our solar rights by signing the above petition.

I felt the biggest positive from it is moving the incentives that are given to the petro industry and moving them to renewables. That is if I interpreted it right.

I wish he had the power to change that. This is an old refrain, and Big Oil is still sucking on Federal dollars like nobody's business.

Here it is in 2011:
Big Oil's $4B tax break in doubt as Obama, Boehner tangle - Apr. 26, 2011

Not much has changed. It's sad that it tends to fall on party lines in this Congress, and there are certainly those who cross the aisle in the name of energy progress, but Boehner took like $500,000 in donations from Big Oil and he knows who his masters are. Note he did not clap during POTUS discussion of renewables.

Speaker Boehner Votes with Big Oil After Taking $437k in Industry Cash | Public Campaign Action Fund

Solars will win in the end I still believe, because like the Chinese have realized, there really is no choice. But the legislative and media fight is going to continue to be dominated by oil money until more investors wake up and realize they can make a fortune buying into solar stocks now. Smart investors *cough* sleepy *cough* know much of this, but the Street is just waking up to it. We shall see.

Last edited:
Solars will win in the end I still believe, because like the Chinese have realized, there really is no choice. But the legislative and media fight is going to continue to be dominated by oil money until more investors wake up and realize they can make a fortune buying into solar stocks now. Smart investors *cough* sleepy *cough* know much of this, but the Street is just waking up to it. We shall see.

Solar will win because the price of solar will keep coming down with efficiency going up (kind of like the cost of computers comes down) and the price of fossil fuels will be going up. It is really as simple as that. There is no possible way that solar does not win, unless of course we see some breakthrough technology that is clean and cheaper than solar.

Battery storage is getting cheaper too and it will become very affordable within the next decade as well.

The more government incentives, the quicker solar will grow and the faster costs will decrease. Even without government subsidies solar will win, albeit it will take a little longer; it is only a matter of time. The huge solar overcapacity we had in 2010 - 2012 was a huge blessing to the solar industry, because it forced companies to cut costs to stay competitive and solar panel prices have fallen over 50% in a short couple of years. This overcapacity has allowed solar to reach grid parity in many countries a lot faster than anyone could have imagined. The old shareholders are left holding the bag, while the new ones (me) are benefitting from this industry shake-out.

Solar will take over, and it is only a matter of time. There is nothing big oil, coal, natural gas, etc. can do to stop this.