Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From What is Solar Energy - Solar Energy Pros and Cons - SolarCity

What if I move to a new home before the end of the SolarLease?

You can pass on the solar system to the new owners in two ways. The great thing about either of these options is that solar homes typically have a higher resale value, because their lowered electricity costs.
  • You can transfer the SolarLease to the new homeowners if they qualify with excellent credit.
  • You can also prepay the lease and include it in the asking price.

Ugh, neither of those things sound very appealing from a realtor's perspective. Basically, that sounds like the seller has to pay off the lease *before* listing the home for sale, or write a contractual obligation for the buyer to take it over, neither of which is standard or desirable, at least in my local market. Then again, maybe people in denser solar markets are used to this kind of thing. Hmm...

Ugh, neither of those things sound very appealing from a realtor's perspective. Basically, that sounds like the seller has to pay off the lease *before* listing the home for sale, or write a contractual obligation for the buyer to take it over, neither of which is standard or desirable, at least in my local market. Then again, maybe people in denser solar markets are used to this kind of thing. Hmm...

Those were my thoughts exactly. Talk about putting a positive spin on a negative.

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions (formerly SCTY thread)

Another possible giga factory associated play: Electrovaya - EFL on TSX (Canadian exchange). It was up 18% on 10x normal volume today.

Here is its basic description:
Electrovaya Inc. (Electrovaya) designs, develops and manufactures advanced battery and battery systems for the transportation, electric grid stationary storage and mobile computing end-markets. The Company’s businesses include stationary storage for energy grid systems, telecommunications and new green energy solutions such as solar and wind; electric vehicles, whereby the Company is developing power-system designs for clean transportation applications, including the maritime sector; mobile computing, consisting of its Lithium Ion SuperPolymer rechargeable batteries, and Other specialty applications, including aerospace and defence, which require complex power solutions, including competencies in building systems for third parties. The Company’s product includes cells, battery modules, integrated battery packs, battery management, technical resources and consumer products.

Actually, I've called SolarCity directly asking them about this on a few occasions. Over time, they've lowered the credit requirement to transfer your lease to the new owner. The last I remember (someone correct me if I'm wrong) was that the new owner needed a 620 credit score (not sure about the exact score). And that the transfer process was super easy and simple. They say that this is how most people sell their houses (just transfer lease) and it's rare that a person prepays the lease before selling the house.

Do you think there is more upside in SCTY short term DaveT?

There seem to be a lot of gigafactory plays out there atm, and here is another one for those who want to gamble (PPO):
Here's a cheaper way to invest in Tesla's 'Gigafactory' - Energy Ticker - MarketWatch

"Extrapolating from sales and other data, and including the potential for more with Tesla’s planned battery plant, Wedbush analysts estimate Polypore could be looking at a $20 million-plus royalty stream on more than $700 million in annual separator demand from Sumitomo."

Do you think there is more upside in SCTY short term DaveT?

I'm not sure how to view SCTY short-term. I feel like momo/day traders are accentuating movements (similar to some chinese solars) and that often it's trading on technicals.

Technically, it's a bit extended from it's 20 day EMA so it's possible it could consolidate some. But it's also in an uptrend since December. So the most likely scenario IMO is that it consolidates some (ie., comes close to the 20-day EMA line) before attempting to move up.

This is from the Gigafactory thread. Do you know where I can find Sleepy's articles on CSIQ, JASO, SOL, SPWR? Does anyone have link(s)?

Here are my old CSIQ articles that might be hard to find:

http://investnaire.com/?q=groups/so...q/technically-speaking-it-great-time-buy-csiq

http://investnaire.com/?q=groups/so...siq-will-double-again-lot-sooner-you-expect-0

You can follow the middle link in my signature and click on the articles section to see some of my other articles. I don't have that much time to write articles these days, so I express all of my thoughts in the forums on a daily basis, both here and there.

I just thought that we needed a dedicated platform to discuss solar energy and other alternatives, because even though we have this thread here on TMC, it just kind of feels like an after thought to the Tesla and TSLA discussion which is phenomenal.

Edit: That second CSIQ article I wrote was titled:

CSIQ Will Double Again, a Lot Sooner than You Expect

And it did double in just 3 short months. That's how clueless the market has been about solar. The easiest money I have ever made. There was virtually no risk investing in CSIQ in the teens.

I don't read it as pay off then put up for sale since it uses "and" rather than "then". I read it as you'll need to have it resolved before or at the close.

Two items -

Polypore (PPO) is a membrane-film company, not a battery company. Most of its business to date has been in the medical equipment field. I had seen that reference to its possible exposure to Tesla's Li-ion manufacturing, and while I don't think it's a stretch to include it as a potential revenue-generator for PPO, nor would I call it a slam-dunk company-maker.

SCTY - our installers are returning today to complete the system. I am NOT leasing; I am purchasing it outright. Some of the reasons we chose them were (1) I trusted their market presence to know how to deal with a very, very fractious county permitting process where this house is (and in retrospect, that was an extremely appropriate action on my part); (2) I have seen lots of mom-&-pop install companies and, while in principle I have a slight preference to place my business in that direction, the combination of the size of the job and our newness in this location factored strongly in my deciding to go with the big guy in the block. I most probably would not have made use of them in Alaska, even were they to operate there.

Yea, I wish I'd been in CSIQ. Of the many solars, I picked 3 to diversify a little: SPWR, JASO, and SOL. SOL was..not good. The other two are basically flat in the time frame CSIQ has doubled.

If I'd picked CSIQ instead of any of those others, I'd be in fantastic shape. Hopefully in the next several months, SPWR or JASO will mirror what CSIQ has done.

Yea, I wish I'd been in CSIQ. Of the many solars, I picked 3 to diversify a little: SPWR, JASO, and SOL. SOL was..not good. The other two are basically flat in the time frame CSIQ has doubled.

If I'd picked CSIQ instead of any of those others, I'd be in fantastic shape. Hopefully in the next several months, SPWR or JASO will mirror what CSIQ has done.

I picked CSIQ, JASO and SPWR, so I'd be one of sleepy's slightly richer e-friends. Just offloaded some CSIQ shares today near ATH. Debating getting into LEAPS, but not sure what to do with earnings around the corner. On the one hand, there's the added leverage, on the other, we're already at an ATH and the past few months have been a bit bumpy.

I like the idea of picking up things in the trough - sleepy style. Trying to exercise some better control over allocating cash at the right time (Averaging down) rather than just buying things when I have cash. I was at least able to buy a bunch of JASO LEAPS when we briefly revisited the 9's.

Last edited:
Trying to exercise some better control over allocating cash at the right time (Averaging down) rather than just buying things when I have cash.
Yea, that one has been an achille's heel for me. I need to be more patient on when I buy. Then again, there are lots of stories of TSLA folks cashing out and having to buy back in higher, so maybe not.

Sorry, but I don't really have time to make the full response to your post that I wanted

So that was the short version? :)

It's not going to do much good to go back and forth, but I can say SCTY was not the only estimate we got and we considered everything you mentioned. Maybe we hit the wrong installers, I don't know, but at the time we were looking it was prohibitively expensive to purchase outright.

Maybe if I got in earlier on TSLA things would be different! lol

This could be interesting for this thread:

"The Expansion of Distributed PV in the Age of the Grid Edge"

Link: http://www.greentechmedia.com/artic...mpaign=Feed:+GreentechMedia+(Greentech+Media)
I don't see much discussion around one particular strategic advantage of Distributed PV: national security.

This WSJ article details a little-known, but quite frightening, attack on a California power station in April 2013. The article is a stark reminder of just how vulnerable our power grid is, and how catastrophic a series of coordinated surgical attacks like the one described would be.

Even in the absence of sabotage, we are one big solar storm away from a North America-wide blackout that could last for months or years. The giant transformers keeping the grid humming are hard to replace, since they are custom-made and making one takes months. If they go out in large numbers, it could spell the end of the world as we know it in the blink of an eye.

Contrast this with a world where a large percentage of power generation is distributed all over the continent. The economy would still take a large hit, but the likelihood of panic and riots would be mitigated by ensuring that some power is still available no matter what. This kind of resiliency cannot even be contemplated in the current centralized paradigm.

Personally, I want to install my own PV system for this resiliency alone, before any other consideration.

I don't see much discussion around one particular strategic advantage of Distributed PV: national security.

This WSJ article details a little-known, but quite frightening, attack on a California power station in April 2013. The article is a stark reminder of just how vulnerable our power grid is, and how catastrophic a series of coordinated surgical attacks like the one described would be.

Even in the absence of sabotage, we are one big solar storm away from a North America-wide blackout that could last for months or years. The giant transformers keeping the grid humming are hard to replace, since they are custom-made and making one takes months. If they go out in large numbers, it could spell the end of the world as we know it in the blink of an eye.

Contrast this with a world where a large percentage of power generation is distributed all over the continent. The economy would still take a large hit, but the likelihood of panic and riots would be mitigated by ensuring that some power is still available no matter what. This kind of resiliency cannot even be contemplated in the current centralized paradigm.

Personally, I want to install my own PV system for this resiliency alone, before any other consideration.

I agree with this. It is a national security risk big time. Fortunately for us, our enemies are not that smart.