Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternatives to Tesla's options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any ability to buy the Tesla optional equipment aftermarket at a more fair price? Surely there is a way to get the same functionality from a 3rd party supplier. Tesla is buying most of this stuff from somewhere and just throwing a Tesla sticker on it.

Forged Alloy Tesla Wheels? $2,300

The recharging cables and connectors?
HPC $3,000
MC240 (240V/30 amp capable) $1,500

Electronics Group (upgraded stereo head unit w/navigation, Bluetooth connectivity, Sirius satellite radio, premium 7-speaker sound w/subwoofer, Homelink door opener) $3,000

Paint Armor $1,495

That adds up to about $11,000 on those options and it should likely be about 1/2 of that.

I know that the Paint Armor can be done locally for about $600 or so. I believe that is just the 3M clear coat plastic that they put over the paint.

I would like to hear any ideas and costs for a good aftermarket stereo, navigation, bluetooth and speakers. I don't care about Sirius.

I think we can likely find the same wheels or better. Then sell the default new crappy wheels that are being sent with the Roadster.

What about recharging cables. Surely that is not too complex to replicate at a more reasonable price. Any electricians out there?

Last edited:
Well there's nothing you can do about them raising the delivery charge.

Any paint shop can give you the color you want probably low for around $6 to 8K but they sort of have you there because that's a lot more than Tesla's price increase, especially since factory paint is more desirable in resale.

The aftermarket stereo, navigation, bluetooth and speakers have been talked about here in the Blaujunk thread. But it's likely that having the (7?
) speakers installed as an afterthought would be less integrated than a factory job. Perhaps the speakers are commodity items. Also remember that the single din slot limits many screen intensive features.

There may be Lotus wheels that fit the Roadster but I rembember something about a different hole pattern. Stellacourse wheels were discussed here.

The HPC is unique to Tesla though it is likely being made by a third party. (Can someone with one in their garage look for a hidden maker's label?)

Extension cords are easy. Those will become aftermarket soon enough. Check the Electric Automobile Association site for their AVCON hacks.

Paint armor kits are template-cut specific to cars though it's likely that any installer should be able to order a kit for a Tesla as easily as any other car.

Solar windows should be available and any tinting house. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/WF/3MWindowFilms/
moderator perhaps move this new thread to accessories?

Last edited: