Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Always carry the key card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always the carry the card in my wallet mostly for backup. I had a flat and had to have my car towed to the Tesla service center. When filling out the after-hours dropoff, it asked that I drop the key in the service box as well; not sure if the service center can otherwise move the car without a key.

If I didnt have the key card, I would've had to Uber home to get it, Uber back to the SC to drop it off, and then Uber again to get back home.

I had a flat and had to have my car towed to the Tesla service center. When filling out the after-hours dropoff, it asked that I drop the key in the service box as well; not sure if the service center can otherwise move the car without a key.

They have a system where if it's booked in for service and is on the grounds of the Service Center they can get in and move it - like a master key in a hotel I suppose

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I will never ever do valet parking. Not even if I turn up in the work truck

I don't trust them, don't like them, hate tipping especially for nothing in return and think its the height of laziness and pretention. I also think it wrong to allow sections of public streets to be reserved for valet parking only. If it's a requirement, then I'll go elsewhere

Yeah, I forgot wallets are old-fashioned. But the core of it is: any driver still carries a license around, so why is another thin card a burden?

Nope, don't carry that either. ;) I have pics of everything in a secure folder on my phone. So far, that's worked out fine. Just me, but no, I'm not carrying a separate card on my person anywhere. Just me.

My experience (once) was that they already had the picture. I mean I got stopped, didn't have the license and they looked it up for me, and could see it was me from the photo they had (barely - lol)

Wait, maybe it was the insurance details. It's been a while now

I guess it all depends on what you did, what kind of mood they're in and how big an a-hole you are when they stop you 🤣

Have you had law enforcement accept a phone picture in lieu of the actual license?

Yeah, good luck with that. Or needing your health card when incapacitated, or any ID for that matter! :)

Great thread. I also have never kept my card or FOB with me as I hate the thought of needing yet another card in the wallet. But makes you think...especially recently with how many times after the last update my friggin car doesn't want to open or start and I have to shut down the app and reopen it.