Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Always carry your key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree it’s a good idea to carry your card in case your phone has a dead battery, or is lost or broken. However you do not need the Tesla network to be up, to use local phone-key features. So long as you have your phone in hand and bluetooth is on, just open your car door (by pushing the handles). The door will unlock. You can drive it away. No card swipe required. Even if the tesla network is down (which is rare).

I got one of those stick-on card pockets for my phone. The key card lives in the pocket. If I have my phone, I have my key card. It's not often that I need to use it, but there have been times when the car would not respond to the phone and I had to use the card. Maybe futzing with the app would have worked, but using the card was easier. Phone always worked fine the next time. It's just an occasional blip. But definitely need to carry the card.

I don't see why anyone wouldn't... it's literally a card.
Do the new S have a card too or is that thing only with the 3 and Y? either way I have an actual fob. and I tried to go a day with only using the app and it was a PITA compared to the car just working as I walk up to it.
Besides like 99% of the time I don't even notice the fob in whatever pocket its in.

Do the new S have a card too or is that thing only with the 3 and Y? either way I have an actual fob. and I tried to go a day with only using the app and it was a PITA compared to the car just working as I walk up to it.
Besides like 99% of the time I don't even notice the fob in whatever pocket its in.

In the Model 3, when the app is working properly (which for me does most of the time) you don't have to do anything but have the phone with you. The car lets you in. You step on the brake, put it in gear, and drive. At your destination you get out, close the door, walk away, and it locks. It acts exactly like a smart fob. (Except that once in a while it doesn't work and then you have to use the key card.) You don't have to "use" the app, in the sense of doing anything with it, unless you want to use the remote features like starting the A/C before you get to the car.