Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I experiencing degradation already?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2EC9EEAF-B806-4E43-B971-41B3CF33596E.jpeg
I picked up my MS 75D three weeks ago today. Charged it to 100% overnight as I’ve got a long trip today. When i woke up this morning the full charge is only 251 but I thought it should be 259. Car only has 1100 miles on it charged almost exclusively on 110 outlet for first week and then NEMA 14-50 since then. Any ideas on what could be going on?

View attachment 316829 I picked up my MS 75D three weeks ago today. Charged it to 100% overnight as I’ve got a long trip today. When i woke up this morning the full charge is only 251 but I thought it should be 259. Car only has 1100 miles on it charged almost exclusively on 110 outlet for first week and then NEMA 14-50 since then. Any ideas on what could be going on?

Data I believe to be correct:
It won't keep the battery exactly at 100%. Once a charge cycle is complete, the car shuts off and has the usual slow drain. The white sliver is showing the pack is slightly under 100%.

How much charge did it need when you plugged it in, and how long was that before the image was that? Assuming your charge rate is 40 amps.

I believe you can set a charge timer to top off on the morning before your trip (or use the app when you wake up).

Thanks. Went back and checked the notifications on the iOS app. It looks like it started charging at 7:31 last night with 175 miles. Got to 100% at 11:08pm with 254 miles and then I lost 3 miles overnight, even though the car is still plugged in. We’re drawing 32 amp using a UMC gen 2.

Even the 254 is below the 259 but I’m assuming it’s not an exact number?? Still trying to learn the science behind all of this and what to expect.

Obviously new to all of this so apologies for the noob question.

If this is all normal then it’ll be helpful to know, or if there’s an issue then I’ll contact Tesla. Thanks.

When did it finish charging? Open your Tesla App and turn on notifications to have the exact charge at the end of charge appear on your smart phone every time. In the summer, my 90% numbers are higher.

Charge to 100% only when needed and time it so you don’t let the 100% occur hours before need. I will charge to 90% at night then rarely top off before a long drive and only if absolutely necessary. With so many Superchargers available now, the need for 100% should be infrequent.

Reactions: mongo
Thanks. Went back and checked the notifications on the iOS app. It looks like it started charging at 7:31 last night with 175 miles. Got to 100% at 11:08pm with 254 miles and then I lost 3 miles overnight, even though the car is still plugged in. We’re drawing 32 amp using a UMC gen 2.

Even the 254 is below the 259 but I’m assuming it’s not an exact number?? Still trying to learn the science behind all of this and what to expect.

Obviously new to all of this so apologies for the noob question.

If this is all normal then it’ll be helpful to know, or if there’s an issue then I’ll contact Tesla. Thanks.

It looks normal at this point.

Yes.

Don’t charge to 100% if you don’t need to and even if you do don’t let the car sit at 100% overnight.

Then don’t worry about it.

Nikolanj, whether your car is using the Rated Range setting (based on EPA testing) will impact the range number you see. There might be a small amount of battery degradation initially, but it should level off. Tesla has taken measures to help ensure excellent battery health, including liquid battery cooling / heating (other cars such as the Nissan Leaf don't have this).

There are some things you can do to help, like charging normally to 90%. If you need to charge to 100%, it's best to drive your car less than a half hour after the charge cycle has completed.

When you charge to 100% your car will balance the battery, so try to do that once a year.

One other thing, when you go away for a few days or longer, it's better to leave your car closer to a 55% state of charge and plugged in as well.

Congrats and enjoy your Tesla!

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jrad6515
Charging to 90% should be fine. If you need to charge to 100%, it's best to drive your car less than a half hour after the charge cycle has completed.

When you charge to 100%, one benefit is that your car will balance the battery, so try to do that once a year.

Enjoy your Tesla, Nikolanj!

It balances regardless, but the SOC gauge appreciates a full to empty cycle.

Car only has 1100 miles on it charged almost exclusively on 110 outlet for first week and then NEMA 14-50 since then. Any ideas on what could be going on?

Should end initial degradation 244-247. Buckle in, thats the reality. Its normal. Every 75 does this, do not worry. Its not the end of the battery or any trip you may take. We all have been through what you are experiencing and no analyzing any situation will change it either. Its chemistry taking its initial course. Mine went down to 244 and has been that way for 1.5 years. Recently though once it went to 248. All normal.
Now if it keeps descending, harshly thats what the 8 year warranty is all about. My guess she stops 247-244. Enjoy the car and charge 80-90%.