Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I getting HW3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my Model 3 in for service right now. I hit a rock last Friday and broke/split a 20 inch rim. So I called roadside service and got towed to the new Toledo SC.

When the Service Center texted me Monday morning to ask why the car was there I explained about the rim and also asked for my spoiler and HW3. They said they didn't have the rim in stock and it might take a week to get. So, I also asked for a loaner.

When I came to collect the loaner on Monday I saw that they had already installed my spoiler - awesome

Now today I have 2 notifications on my phone app for a pending software upgrade. The thing is I was already at the latest version.
I am unable to check the details because my car shows as in "service mode" on the app.... but I do see 2 different notifications, about an hour apart indicating a new software version is available.

Could this be a newly installed HW3 computer updating?

RandomX

i can't imagine having a random software update would indicate that anything was different about your car. they can't just "decide" to change something in your vehicle without your permission/knowledge. can you imagine the lawsuits.

this is lol

/thread

If you read...
I did specifically ask for it. Also, I read today that retrofits were beginning.

Still I figure I am probably overreacting. I'll find out soon I'm sure.

People are reporting taking in S & X with HW2.5 for some maintenance item and getting a HW3 upgrade.
Presumably just people who'd paid for FSD.

This makes a lot of sense for Tesla, since that's their lower volume, higher cost vehicles.
Give me reasonable hope I'll get the HW3 upgrade by Q1.

People are reporting taking in S & X with HW2.5 for some maintenance item and getting a HW3 upgrade.
Presumably just people who'd paid for FSD.

This makes a lot of sense for Tesla, since that's their lower volume, higher cost vehicles.
Give me reasonable hope I'll get the HW3 upgrade by Q1.

I recommend against having hope in regards to anything involving a timeline from Tesla.

Reactions: Thp3 and Akikiki
Now today I have 2 notifications on my phone app for a pending software upgrade
When you have your spoiler installed, they unlock the faster top speed. Give me a minute, and I'll edit this post with a YouTube video that explains it. But the TL;DW version is that your car is software limited to 145 MPH top speed until you get the spoiler installed. Once it's installed, Tesla updates your software and unlocks the new top speed, which will be 162-163 MPH. Have fun!!

Edit: Here you go:

Bjorn's channel is very entertaining and informative. One of the few YouTube channels that I feel is actually worth promoting.

• Informative
Reactions: RandomX
When you have your spoiler installed, they unlock the faster top speed. Give me a minute, and I'll edit this post with a YouTube video that explains it. But the TL;DW version is that your car is software limited to 145 MPH top speed until you get the spoiler installed. Once it's installed, Tesla updates your software and unlocks the new top speed, which will be 162-163 MPH. Have fun!!

That could also be it but I wanted to mention and almost made another post about it last month but ....

I have had my P3D+ at 155mph and 148 the day before that. That happened about month ago. I got the spoiler on Monday.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
That could also be it but I wanted to mention and almost made another post about it last month but ....

I have had my P3D+ at 155mph and 148 the day before that. That happened about month ago. I got the spoiler on Monday.
Interesting! I wonder if Tesla decided that we could have the 163 top speed without the spoiler, and didn't tell anyone... this needs more research.

Interesting! I wonder if Tesla decided that we could have the 163 top speed without the spoiler, and didn't tell anyone... this needs more research.

I'm certain it happened. That last bit is speed comes in slow so I had a good nervous 8-10 seconds watching the numbers slowly (relative to Tesla) climb past 145.

Now that I do have my spoiler another P3D+ owner w/o the spoiler will have to test.

Now that I do have my spoiler another P3D+ owner w/o the spoiler will have to test.
Yeah, I might have to test it myself. But up to and until the date of Bjorn's video, you definitely didn't get the max speed unlocked until you installed the spoiler and Tesla unlocks the software.

There's an oval track 125 miles south of me. I need to give them a call and see if it's open to the public... I don't have a spoiler on my car yet.

Reactions: RandomX