Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I overthinking this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ucmndd is spot on

Here are the calcs

View attachment 916899

Ioniq 5 EPA highway range is 303*(98/114) = 260 miles
Tesla 272 highway range is 272*(126/132) = 259.6 miles

That is EPA. If OP is driving faster than EPA then the Tesla model will have longer highway range than the Ioniq 5. OP can expect to arrive home with a higher SoC in the Tesla than he did in the Ioniq 5, presuming the same starting SoC

One thing though to know about the LFP Tesla: It is best to charge up to 100% SoC about once a week to keep the battery BMS calibrated. For the rest of the week OP can (and should) charge to what is needed plus a reasonable safety margin of around 15% SoC. Once in a while that will not be enough, but the Supercharger network has his back.
Damn very well put together and informative. I appreciate it! You guys are making me feel better with this.

Reactions: WyoDude
I currently own an Ioniq 5. According to my EVSE it's giving me an average of 35 kWh per night when it charges after my daily commute. I have a 2023 SR on order but I'm starting to second guess that I'll be pushing it if I do anything outside of my daily commute when I go to work. The Ioniq I believe is 77.4 usable kWh and I charge to 90% daily which is ~ 69.66 kWh.

Am I overthinking this? I've attached the stats for reference.
Hey @DroopyMallard !
I had a M3 Standard range+ for a few years, and I would recommend against it for your drive, considering a few factors, here is my story.
I recently moved to Colorado, and noticed a significant decline in my range. at 90% charge I was just under 200 miles total range. When I lived in Florida I would see about 210-220. My car was also a 2019, so the battery was a couple years old. My car also was an odd battery pack from what I understand... which may be why it declined quicker than a normal M3SR+. It was supposed to have... 264 miles when it was new, when I bought it from my mother (low miles, typical grandma driver) in 2020 (she wanted a Model Y) I noticed 235-240 was the best I could get.

So here are the factors that would lean me towards advising you to get a M3LR, MY, or MSLR:
  • How long do you want to keep the car? If you get any battery degradation you will start to have range issues, and even the best batteries will show minor degradation in a year or so.
  • Depending on your shift (mine is 10 hours, I work a 4x10 schedule) and you use sentry mode, you will burn power.
  • Depending on weather and altitude (strange that altitude affects range to me) you will also see a reduced range.
My drive to work is a bit shorter than yours, 75 miles. and on a typical day the M3SR+ would make it... but only in good weather and if I don't use sentry mode. Any other factors like excessive cold or heat, and I would need to charge past 90% unless I wanted to super charge on the way home. I think you will be fine with your M3SR for the first few years, and maybe the new battery packs will be better than mine was! But I would advise a M3LR to be safe, especially if you are going to keep the car for a while.

Fortunately for me, my pay-bump allowed me to order a MSP... so I have plenty of range now. Good luck to you brother!

Reactions: DroopyMallard
Hey @DroopyMallard !
I had a M3 Standard range+ for a few years, and I would recommend against it for your drive, considering a few factors, here is my story.
I recently moved to Colorado, and noticed a significant decline in my range. at 90% charge I was just under 200 miles total range. When I lived in Florida I would see about 210-220. My car was also a 2019, so the battery was a couple years old. My car also was an odd battery pack from what I understand... which may be why it declined quicker than a normal M3SR+. It was supposed to have... 264 miles when it was new, when I bought it from my mother (low miles, typical grandma driver) in 2020 (she wanted a Model Y) I noticed 235-240 was the best I could get.

So here are the factors that would lean me towards advising you to get a M3LR, MY, or MSLR:
  • How long do you want to keep the car? If you get any battery degradation you will start to have range issues, and even the best batteries will show minor degradation in a year or so.
  • Depending on your shift (mine is 10 hours, I work a 4x10 schedule) and you use sentry mode, you will burn power.
  • Depending on weather and altitude (strange that altitude affects range to me) you will also see a reduced range.
My drive to work is a bit shorter than yours, 75 miles. and on a typical day the M3SR+ would make it... but only in good weather and if I don't use sentry mode. Any other factors like excessive cold or heat, and I would need to charge past 90% unless I wanted to super charge on the way home. I think you will be fine with your M3SR for the first few years, and maybe the new battery packs will be better than mine was! But I would advise a M3LR to be safe, especially if you are going to keep the car for a while.

Fortunately for me, my pay-bump allowed me to order a MSP... so I have plenty of range now. Good luck to you brother!
A 2019 SR+ was only rated 240 miles new:
It had a 53 kWh pack (49 kWh usable). It doesn't have a heat pump, so cold weather would kill range even more (especially given your move to Colorado).

My 2021 SR+ is rated 263 new. 55kWh pack (51 kWh usable). It has a heat pump, which reduces heating loss in cold weather.

A 2023 RWD (replacement for SR+) is rated 272 new. It uses a LFP pack that is 60.5 kWh and 57.5 kWh usable.

So what you observed is not necessarily applicable to the OP (also why I mentioned weather).

Yes if OP uses Sentry mode it will kill range also, as it uses about one mile of range per hour.

A 2019 SR+ was only rated 240 miles new:
It had a 53 kWh pack (49 kWh usable). It doesn't have a heat pump, so cold weather would kill range even more (especially given your move to Colorado).

My 2021 SR+ is rated 263 new. 55kWh pack (51 kWh usable). It has a heat pump, which reduces heating loss in cold weather.

A 2023 RWD (replacement for SR+) is rated 272 new. It uses a LFP pack that is 60.5 kWh and 57.5 kWh usable.

So what you observed is not necessarily applicable to the OP (also why I mentioned weather).

Yes if OP uses Sentry mode it will kill range also, as it uses about one mile of range per hour.
They did a software update to the 2019s that brought the range up to 250
2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus Pricing, Range Increases | Digital Trends
...but I digress.

You are right, the new ones do have more range, but using the ABRP site it shows that for my 75 mile trip a new 2023 M3SR would make the round trip with 12% range left. That is really cutting it close not leaving much room for his extra 15 miles per leg... of course weather, altitude and situation dependent.
Really what I am saying is: Don't buy exactly the range you need. Buy the next model up if you can, get a used LR or something so you have some breathing room.

They did a software update to the 2019s that brought the range up to 250
2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus Pricing, Range Increases | Digital Trends
...but I digress.

You are right, the new ones do have more range, but using the ABRP site it shows that for my 75 mile trip a new 2023 M3SR would make the round trip with 12% range left. That is really cutting it close not leaving much room for his extra 15 miles per leg... of course weather, altitude and situation dependent.
Really what I am saying is: Don't buy exactly the range you need. Buy the next model up if you can, get a used LR or something so you have some breathing room.
As others pointed out, maybe there is a misunderstanding, but in a clear weather state like Florida you are saying a SR+ will struggle to make a 90 roundtrip (~45 mile one way) trip with only 12% left (32 miles)?

That does not match my own experience here in California (also a mild weather state) even with elevation changes. I observe consumption on the order of a max of ~1.2x the rated range so a 90 mile trip would only consume about 110 miles of range, travelling about 70-75mph where possible. I do better if there is traffic that lowers the speed.

My own trip is about 73 miles round trip. I usually charge to ~70% or ~170-174 miles (my full charge has since degraded to 249 miles) and usually arrive back with 80-something miles which is plenty of buffer (this includes vampire loss of parking for a week, but I don't use Sentry). If I plan to go on longer trips I just charge to 80%, 90%, or even 100%, which is no big deal given I don't leave it there long.

If instead the OP was talking about a 180 miles round trip (90 mile one way) that is a completely different story.

As others pointed out, maybe there is a misunderstanding, but in a clear weather state like Florida you are saying a SR+ will struggle to make a 90 roundtrip (~45 mile one way) trip with only 12% left (32 miles)?

That does not match my own experience here in California (also a mild weather state) even with elevation changes. I observe consumption on the order of a max of ~1.2x the rated range so a 90 mile trip would only consume about 110 miles of range, travelling about 70-75mph where possible. I do better if there is traffic that lowers the speed.

My own trip is about 73 miles round trip. I usually charge to ~70% or ~170-174 miles (my full charge has since degraded to 249 miles) and usually arrive back with 80-something miles which is plenty of buffer (this includes vampire loss of parking for a week, but I don't use Sentry). If I plan to go on longer trips I just charge to 80%, 90%, or even 100%, which is no big deal given I don't leave it there long.

If instead the OP was talking about a 180 miles round trip (90 mile one way) that is a completely different story.
I miss-read him! I thought it was 90 miles each way... Yep. For a ~100 mile daily drive a M3SR is perfect. You will even have miles left over to tool around town if needs be :) Enjoy!