Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I overthinking this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own an Ioniq 5. According to my EVSE it's giving me an average of 35 kWh per night when it charges after my daily commute. I have a 2023 SR on order but I'm starting to second guess that I'll be pushing it if I do anything outside of my daily commute when I go to work. The Ioniq I believe is 77.4 usable kWh and I charge to 90% daily which is ~ 69.66 kWh.

Am I overthinking this? I've attached the stats for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_5896F7488683-1.jpeg
    IMG_5896F7488683-1.jpeg
    497.2 KB · Views: 128
I think I use about the same amount of energy for my daily commute but I charge to 70-80% and always get home between 25-38% depending on how much charge I use. The Ioniq is fine and if anything it’s about the same size or a little bit smaller battery pack than a LR model 3. My 2019 model 3 long range is about 75kwh battery size I think.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I think I use about the same amount of energy for my daily commute but I charge to 70-80% and always get home between 25-38% depending on how much charge I use. The Ioniq is fine and if anything it’s about the same size or a little bit smaller battery pack than a LR model 3. My 2019 model 3 long range is about 75kwh battery size I think.
Well I'm getting the SR which is why I'm questioning it I guess.

I know I know but the kWH numbers concerned me. However someone did mention that the Ioniq 5 isn’t as efficient as the M3 which makes sense.
That’s true. It’s a box. The ionqiq 6 is way more efficient and use the same battery size with superior range. I don’t get the logic of getting rid of the 5… why buy the model 3. I frankly like the ioniq 5 over the model 3.

I currently own an Ioniq 5. According to my EVSE it's giving me an average of 35 kWh per night when it charges after my daily commute. I have a 2023 SR on order but I'm starting to second guess that I'll be pushing it if I do anything outside of my daily commute when I go to work. The Ioniq I believe is 77.4 usable kWh and I charge to 90% daily which is ~ 69.66 kWh.
I have a SR+, 90 miles round trip is trivial. I do a similar trip travelling around 70-75mph with elevation changes and use up to about 1.2x the rated range, so about 110 miles. The SR with Aero covers is quite efficient and it doesn't appear you are in a winter state so you would be fine.

Anything up to 200 miles is still fairly easy, plus superchargers make it easy to do trips beyond that. Plus the current RWD Model uses a LFP pack which can tolerate 100% charges much better and have less degradation, and it starts out with a higher 272 mile rated range.

Whoops sorry. SEL RWD.
So that’s 300wh/mi assuming the long range battery, which it looks like all SELs have?

So by the book a Model 3 RWD will be ~17% more efficient than your current car over the same trip (using 29kwh vs your currently observed 35kwh).

In the real world, at highway speeds, I think you’ll find the actual difference to be even greater.

So that’s 300wh/mi assuming the long range battery, which it looks like all SELs have?

So by the book a Model 3 RWD will be ~17% more efficient than your current car over the same trip (using 29kwh vs your currently observed 35kwh).

In the real world, at highway speeds, I think you’ll find the actual difference to be even greater.
That’s interesting to know thank you! I wasn’t even thinking about the efficiency which is a mistake on my part. That’s the point of my post 🥴

@ucmndd is spot on

The Tesla is far far more efficient than the Ioniq 5.

Here are the calcs

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 3.51.09 PM.png

Ioniq 5 EPA highway range is 303*(98/114) = 260 miles
Tesla 272 highway range is 272*(126/132) = 259.6 miles

That is EPA. If OP is driving faster than EPA then the Tesla model will have longer highway range than the Ioniq 5. OP can expect to arrive home with a higher SoC in the Tesla than he did in the Ioniq 5, presuming the same starting SoC

One thing though to know about the LFP Tesla: It is best to charge up to 100% SoC about once a week to keep the battery BMS calibrated. For the rest of the week OP can (and should) charge to what is needed plus a reasonable safety margin of around 15% SoC. Once in a while that will not be enough, but the Supercharger network has his back.

Last edited: