Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I really this crazy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Below is a PM and my reply from a moderator today. Please note that I replaced their screen name with the word MODERATOR as a courtesy to them since it was a PM and not a publicly posted thread. I trust that is not prohibited. For those who do not know (and it sounds like all of you do by the message I got from the moderator) I made 2 posts referencing a recall on two different products that were being recalled for a fire risk implying Tesla was the manufacturer of said products as a joke, but mostly to point out that there are recalls for fires every day for all sorts of products, but that none of them (including other cars) garner the sort of overblown and outright false media reporting that Tesla does. I think my reply to the moderator clearly states how I feel about being censored for a couple of harmless jokes. I welcome any feedback from other members, but I would ask that if you take a position on whether I am right on or should be burned at the stake that you disclose whether or not you own a Tesla and whether or not you own any shares or the company. Honor system applies. If this post is "moderated" I guess I will just mosey off to parts unknown since I detest being censored unless I was trolling, attacking other specific members, or intentionally trying to disrupt the forum or slander the Tesla or it's products. I do not think I am breaking a rule by publicly posting this PM exchange because I did not disclose the mod's name and honestly I do not feel his PM was out of line at all. I am not offended by the MOD, but rather that the posts were moderated and that the feeling seems to be that there is a very fine line we must walk to participate on TMC.

MODERATOR said:
Hi,

just in case no-one got back to you yet....

Your threads joking about fires got moderated due to reporting by other members. Seems like the majority of folks are not ready for jokes involving Tesla/Elon and products which catch fire.

I can understand where the members are coming from so maybe leave those jokes out for now?

Thanks,

(moderator)

MODERATOR,
While I appreciate you taking the time to contact me, I feel that it's unlikely that "the majority" of folks are not ready for a joke or two. I am not sure how many registered members are on TMC, but assuming it's in excess of 10000, does that mean there were more than 5000 reports of my posts in the last 24 hours, which would constitute a majority? I am not trying to be a smartass with my question. I am just trying to determine how "the majority" was determined to be offended by my posts. I saw the first one was moved to off topic by a mod, so when I posted the second one, it was posted where the first one had been moved out of respect for the job you guys are trying to do. If you go on Time, CNNmoney, Huffington, etc about the fires, the "recall" on the adapter, etc you will see I am one of the most vocal supporters of the company and the product, but I think it's very unfair to let a few people (who apparently could use a drink) dictate what is allowed on the forum. If we can't joke about how ridiculous the whole fire/recall media sensationalization is here the that is a sad reflection on how we as owners are not able to deal with the criticisms of ICE proponents. I feel it's more accurate that a few squeaky wheels here decided to report them because they are so worried about their stock value taking a three cent hit if someone accidentally thought my posts were not in jest that they could not sleep. Those people, in my opinion, are the absolute worst thing about this forum and are doing more damage to the reputation of the owners of these cars as a whole as perceived by non-owners. They don't care about the car, the company or the mission that Elon is aiming for. They care only about how soon they can retire and would likely threaten physical harm to anyone that might negatively affect their portfolio value. I mean, if the propping up of the stock price is really what this forum is about, and we are going to be censored as a result, can you point me to where normal people who own a Tesla can communicate freely? This is a discussion forum isn't it? I can't recall ever being part of a forum where humor was not allowed (or better yet, expected). I would certainly understand if I was making jokes about some tragedy that involved the loss of life or devastation (9/11, hurricane sandy, etc.) but this is really just amazing that it would be considered in such bad taste it would be moderated. So sad that I feel like I am one of the few sane people on the forum if what you claim is true. I somehow doubt that the "majority " did indeed reach out about my posts. Were they corny? Extremely likely. Offensive enough to warrant moderation? Not in my mind.

Last edited:
I didn't get to read your joke, but I think I understand the sensitivity the moderator was attempting to wrestle with. The media has blown so many things out of proportion in regards to these fires, and so much damage has been done as a result, that I think a little caution is warranted.

Just today one of my friends asked me if my car had "caught on fire yet." It was funny and I laughed. But it's almost a daily occurrence that someone brings up the fire topic, and on a daily basis I have to explain that it was all media hype. After awhile those jokes are going to get old... very old... and for some members those jokes are probably well over the hill already.

For the record, I don't own any stock in Tesla. I'm just another enthusiast.

Last edited:
I didn't get to read your joke, but I think I understand the sensitivity the moderator was attempting to wrestle with. The media has blown so many things out of proportion in regards to these fires, and so much damage has been done as a result, that I think a little caution is warranted.

Just today one of my friends asked me if my car had "caught on fire yet." It was funny and I laughed. But it's almost a daily occurrence that someone brings up the fire topic, and on a daily basis I have to explain that it was all media hype. After awhile those jokes are going to get old... very old... and for some members those jokes are probably over the hill.

For the record, I don't own any stock in Tesla. I'm just another enthusiast.

I am with you on the jokes by non-owners. I actually lashed out at a coworker after he went too far with a joke (he is a funny guy, but after the 20th time in as many days I sort of lost it). That being said, we all (well most of us) know how inaccurate the media has been and how it's caused the public (who know almost nothing about the car) to have only their only information be about these fires. We, on the other hand, know the reality of what actually is going on so we are "in on the joke". It's completely understandable if my posts were in some way confused with being serious, but satire and parody are protected by the first amendment aren't they? ps-thank you for your input and viewpoint.

but satire and parody are protected by the first amendment aren't they?

Yes, but that's not applicable here. If this forum was run by the government, then the first amendment would apply. It's not, so it has no application.

I can see both sides of this issue, (in my opinion, if the jokes were really, really funny, they should have stayed - otherwise, I agree to remove them) but the bottom line is that the mods can censor whoever they want for any reason they want.

Last edited:
Yes, but that's not applicable here. If this forum was run by the government, then the first amendment would apply. It's not, so it has no application.

I can see both sides of this issue, (in my opinion, if the jokes were really, really funny, they should have stayed - otherwise, I agree to remove them) but the bottom line is that the mods can sensor whoever they want for any reason they want.

Even I (and I see humor in some weird places) can't say they were really really funny. Maybe a chuckle, but I doubt anyone needed a change of drawers after reading it.

I understand the forum isn't like a democracy. I guess I was trying to explain it in a way that only makes sense from inside my head ;). I have felt since very soon after I joined that this forum has a much different vibe than the many other forums I am on (and I am a Mod on one myself). There are a small subset of people here that get worked up about nothing. I am not referring to posts I made in those cases either. Maybe I felt, regardless of my political leanings and geographic location that our mutual appreciation for the product would overcome our differences, but maybe I am wrong. It's a mixed feeling about the Mod's action. I do not think they were really taking a side so much, but rather reacting to a complaint or complaints that I really feel were unjustified to warrant the removal of the threads. I, as a mod, feel I am willing to let a lot more slide on the forum I assist at. After all, the only reason the forum exists is because of the contributions of the members so unless there is attacks, repeated language violations, or trolling its pretty much going to be allowed. I can't see TMC ever letting a loose cannon like me have control over anything ;)
As with Alexander your opinion is much appreciated.

Last edited:
I've restored the multiple "joke" threads and merged them into this one. You can find them at the top of this current thread.

The posts generated enough complaints that we had to take a look.

I figured that were of little value, but harmless, and moved them from the Model S section (where they did not belong) to Off Topic.

They then continued to generate complaints and a mod decided to stick them in "moderation" (where something can sit till we decide what to do with it).

Really, we discourage threads with misleading titles placed in wrong section. Anyhow, there it is.

My faith has been somewhat restored. It appears the mods put my original posts back so they could be judged. I gotta say I REALLY appreciate that they would do that (even if it now means I will be ridiculed for my awful sense of humor):wink:

My Sincerest Appreciation for that gesture by whoever did that!

on edit:
Thank you Doug (except for the "low value" comment):tongue:

I'm not sure how *funny* Elon would find those posts ... think about it from his point of view. He's been fighting an uphill battle with all the fud about Tesla and fires. Now people joke about anything that's on fire as an 'Elon Musk product'?

Yeah, not so funny if you're Elon. Or working in Tesla marketing, trying to protect the brand from awful associations like that. Anyway, my two cents.

I have felt since very soon after I joined that this forum has a much different vibe than the many other forums I am on (and I am a Mod on one myself). There are a small subset of people here that get worked up about nothing.

I hear you on that one. I have felt the same way since joining recently. But that feeling has been overridden by all the great people on here, and by all the good information and tips on the car, for which the wait is killing me, so it's also been a good way to pass my time. Life's just too short to sweat the small stuff, so perhaps it's time to move on.

I'm not sure how *funny* Elon would find those posts ... think about it from his point of view. He's been fighting an uphill battle with all the fud about Tesla and fires. Now people joke about anything that's on fire as an 'Elon Musk product'?

Yeah, not so funny if you're Elon. Or working in Tesla marketing, trying to protect the brand from awful associations like that. Anyway, my two cents.

Bonnie, with all due respect (and its certainly due), how do we know that Elon would not see the humor in such satire? I mean, obviously it's a joke and as I said, it's a joke among true believers in the product and the man's vision. The joke is (as I said before) that the media barely notices fire related issues from most products including automobiles, but decides it's worthy of a breaking news alert if its related to Tesla or Elon in a negative way. Just look at how the media ran with Clooney's opinion of a car he hardly drove 4 or 5 years ago. It's totally unfair.
If Elon or anyone at Tesla were to contact me to tell me they thought I was in some way hurting the company I would be the first to ask that it be removed. I just would like to think that the man is not so uptight that he would feel that way.

Bonnie, with all due respect (and its certainly due), how do we know that Elon would not see the humor in such satire? I mean, obviously it's a joke and as I said, it's a joke among true believers in the product and the man's vision. The joke is (as I said before) that the media barely notices fire related issues from most products including automobiles, but decides it's worthy of a breaking news alert if its related to Tesla or Elon in a negative way. Just look at how the media ran with Clooney's opinion of a car he hardly drove 4 or 5 years ago. It's totally unfair.
If Elon or anyone at Tesla were to contact me to tell me they thought I was in some way hurting the company I would be the first to ask that it be removed. I just would like to think that the man is not so uptight that he would feel that way.

I suspect if Elon was in a private room with a bunch of enthusiasts he would find it moderately funny. On a public forum that has been quoted by the press multiple times, not so much. Elon/Tesla is fighting stupidity on multiple fronts. He doesn't need enthusiasts and owners piling on.

In person you can pick up a person's inflection and body language. You can't do that online. The subtlety of intent is largely lost. I get the attempt at humor .. but I agree with the mods on this one.

Well, FWIW I thought it was funny, worth a chuckle, and that it was pointed at the FUD media not Tesla or Elon. But then I look for humor first in everything, to my wife's chagrin. Disclosure: my son has been a Tesla/Elon supporter since before the company was formed; I became a (very small) stockholder in 2013 more as a token of support and belief than an asset build; I've owned a Tesla hat for almost a year, and a Model S for almost two weeks because I couldn't resist. And for the record I've found the ridiculous, biased, incompetent FUD reporting about the fires frustrating and deeply annoying (can't think of the right word). If I'm feeling that way I can't imagine how Elon is feeling -- just hope the huge passion for his work that the thousands upon thousands of fans have takes some of the sting away.

Ummm, dude look in the mirror..... ;-)

+1. Having now seen these (frankly, not funny or clever) posts, it's hard to imagine how anyone could get so animated over having such inanity withdrawn from a forum where we're supposed to be discussing Tesla. I don't know why the OP felt compelled to start two brand new threads or specifically mention "Elon" in the title as opposed to Tesla. But even so, hard to fathom that anyone could get so worked up if the moderators made the (appropriate in my view) decision that this really wasn't timely or relevant enough for a Tesla forum?

Last edited: