Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the exception since I have always had a great service experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to begin, I have only dealt with the Columbus Ohio service center. And I know thats going to be the main reason since every SC is different. I have come to know Dan and Scott quite well. I cant praise them both enough.

I have 12 invoices saved on my phone from different visits and I know thats not close to all of them. Most of these have been for minor issues like a squeaking brake pedal to which they replaced the brake master cylinder, the passenger footwell light working intermittently, charge port LEDs not fully working, etc.

There have been a few 'major' issues and they were always able to get me in right away and out in a loaner. The 3 last minute service visits that I can think of off hand are the cracked air suspension distribution block, broken window regulator, and the dead MCU.

The air suspension failed on my way out of my neighborhood, so the front was completely dropped. I called roadside who was not sure how long it would take to get a tow truck out and asked if it could still be driven. I was able to drive it in and the guys were able to get me in a loaner and get the suspension fixed by that afternoon. The distribution block had cracked (this was winter '18-19).

That same winter when it was -10F the window regulator broke. I made an appointment on my phone through the app for a few days later. the next day the window was partly down and would no longer go back up, and on top of that is was supposed to snow and my appointment wasn't until 2 days later. Also I live in an apartment so she sleeps outside. I called them to see if I could drop it off early so it could be kept inside. They said absolutely and that the regulator had been ordered and should arrive the next day (before my scheduled appt).

Next was the MCU. This was also the first service appt where i was no longer covered by my CPO warranty. I left a VM that morning and Scott called me back about 45 min. later and said they could get me in right away with a loaner. later that afternoon they after not being able to get it to boot they gave me options (see thread) . But then came the issues with the LTE not connecting at all or taking a while (20 min+) to connect. We discussed everything through email as they were trying to diagnose over the air. I had to bring it in and they replaced the whole connectivity board with a new unit. When I left, it was working. The following day was Saturday and on my way to the store I noticed no cellular connection again. So I stopped in and Dan said that they will now have to get an engineer involved since this is visit #3 for this issue. We set an appointment for later that week and they figured out the problem with the sim and replaced it same day.

Every visit I have had was pleasant and you can tell that both of them care about fixing whatever issue it is as fast as possible. They have always scheduled me when there was a loaner available. They have always been very accommodating. Dan said Columbus has half the amount of loaners as Cincinnati and that makes it really difficult for them. But they have Uber credits to give out if they need to. They are not a slow service center either but its not as busy as what California has.

Maybe its because I'm pretty laid back or because I understand the *sugar* that the service advisors deal with since I used to sell cars at a Toyota dealership. But I have had great experiences every time. And it's only because of Dan and Scott that I have no worries about getting another Tesla or encouraging others to buy one.

Had these experiences been different, I would have probably jumped ship to another brand just to not deal with it. But I don't dread if my car needs service.

I feel like I'm rambling at this point! lol

I wish everybody had the experiences as I have had. Maybe Tesla should take notes from Columbus and apply them everywhere!

I too have had nothing but good experiences. My main service center is in Palm Desert CA. I have always been in and out within their estimated time. I have always recieved a loaner(except a 1 1/2 hour service that I waited for). Hopefully, Palm Desert will continue to offer the same level of service. I did use the Las Vegas SC once for a 12v Battery replacement. They gave me Uber credits so we could go to lunch while they replaced the battery. We had enough credits left that we used them for a night on the town while keeping our car at our hotel.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Voice commands broke at end of 2019. Initially, Tesla scheduled then canceled service to fix it. Eventually they sent a mobile technician to try to fix. He said that Tesla HQ screwed up the software and there was nothing he could do. So, again, months for Tesla to fix their problem. They really need to put their SW house in order when they actually can produce FSD. People aren't going to tolerate the hokey-pokey with FSD one day, and 'almost FSD' the next.

I've not had my 2016 S75D for very long (just 8 months so far) however the one time I had to go to my local SC, (Oakville, Ontario), it was very pleasant and uneventful.

I got a loaner P85D and kept it for a day as the SC was very busy and didn't get to replacing the front suspension control modules till the next day. Under warranty to address a very faint rattling sound coming from the front of the car.

Yeah it is all fun and games until something significant goes wrong, you are then stuck exchanging text messages and there is no one you can speak with for a resolution.

Also fun and games until you drop off your car for a scheduled service appointment that should just take a few hours and your car is at the service center on day 4 with no update and your text messages are ignored.

Everyone claiming all is will will change their tune the moment it is they who are stuck with a major issue and their text messages are ignored with no one to call for a resolution.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Hardly need service, but great experience in SoCal at Santa Barbara, and Oxnard is never busy.

Hope nothing goes bad, but by visiting several SC's in person, I now have a preferred location, and a number I can call if other means of commmunication do not work.

Yep. I've had all positive service experiences at the Cincinnati,OH dealership. Obviously when you have a bad time you are more likely to get online and make a rant about it. Less likely for good ones. So good to see people weighing in with positive thoughts.

The Service center in Cham (Switzerland) has always proved to be top notch in any respect.
Quick, responsive, well educated, and many times going beyond their duty to satisfy a customer.
And the local ranger tech guy here in Tessin is a wonderful person, extremely knowledgeable in anything Tesla, and way above any other car tech I ever met in my life.
To be honest the quality of the service is one of the key points I always mention when talking about my experience with a Tesla.

Reactions: SilverGS and murse
I think part of having a good service experience has to do with being proactive, understanding the process, and making positive relationships with the employees. If you believe there are weak points in the service process, why not take steps yourself to counteract them before a problem happens? There are usually solutions that we can influence for better outcomes.

Reactions: murse
I have used a ranger 2x.

The first is an example I always tell people when discussing service. This was for the first 12v battery replacement. They said they could send mobile to my house and they would also do the airbag recall at the same time. I asked if they could look at the drivers door handle and they said they would replace that too.

The night before my ranger appt. we got 6" of snow. I received a phone call from the tech. I was expecting them to cancel, which would have been understood considering the highways were garbage. But he said he was running about an hour late due to traffic and coming from Dayton, but was still on the way. It surprised the hell out of me and I was very thankful.

The second time was for a different door handle.

Im 15 min from the SC so its just as easy for me to stop there vs using a ranger who could help someone further away