Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I too strict with tint quality and PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO, Those issues you pointed out are not going to go away with time. For the money and the time - 6 days and 4500.00 later is a total rip off. All this ceramic coating and full coverage PPF stuff is out is getting control. Do the front and additional wear areas and be done with it. This is not a million dollar car. Not to bash decisions by others, Just MO

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
They'll probably pull off the PPF and it'll have to be reinstalled (wa

Be careful on this if not removed correctly you will also pull up clear coat :(:eek:...personally the risk of that over a small chip is not worth potentially ruining the clear coat ...you would do TMC members a service by listing out RPM as the vendor so no one goes there for wrap ...just sayin ;)

• Funny
Reactions: tracksyde
I have similar issues with dust under ppf and tints. Paid $4300 at a shop north of Atlanta for full xpel PPF and tints on all windows except roof. They didn't do b-pillars though. He mentioned that there is a standard where if you can't see the dust/bubbles standing 5 feet away, then it is within standards.

Almost every panel has a piece of dust like this under the PPF
IMG_20180809_031740.jpg

Dust under tints
IMG_20180809_031901.jpg IMG_20180809_032007.jpg IMG_20180809_032102.jpg IMG_20180809_032440.jpg

Some scratch on rear tints visible from interior
IMG_20180809_032512.jpg

I think I'm going to contact them about the rear windshield scratch. That's way worse than dust.

I actually had a few other bad issues but they addressed it when I brought the car back to get the windshield and rear window tinted

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tambam
I have similar issues with dust under ppf and tints. Paid $4300 at a shop north of Atlanta for full xpel PPF and tints on all windows except roof. They didn't do b-pillars though. He mentioned that there is a standard where if you can't see the dust/bubbles standing 5 feet away, then it is within standards.

View attachment 324310

Dust under tints
View attachment 324311 View attachment 324312 View attachment 324313 View attachment 324314

View attachment 324315

I think I'm going to contact them about the rear windshield scratch. That's way worse than dust.

I actually had a few other bad issues but they addressed it when I brought the car back to get the windshield and rear window tinted

The PPF you can actually poke it with a needle to remove the dust ..since the film is self healing put out in sun it will reform

View attachment 324310

Dust under tints
View attachment 324311 View attachment 324312 View attachment 324313 View attachment 324314

View attachment 324315

Thank you for posting this. This was my original question… is this just typical? Am I being too strict? Aside from the scratch, you and I have about the same amount of dust specks.

Thank you for posting this. This was my original question… is this just typical? Am I being too strict? Aside from the scratch, you and I have about the same amount of dust specks.

Dust means they were sloppy and didn’t wet down the floor area where they are working ...you can use as I posted above a pin to remove the dust than park in sun for film to self heal ...

I'm guessing the only way to properly fix that paint chip is to repaint, no way you can repaint with PPF. Maybe you can have tesla fix it, but it will cost you to PPF over it again :(

The tint issue should be corrected though, no your not picky.

edit: just read your last post. That's what I was afraid of.