Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AM radio retrofit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we drove home from our son's yesterday (an hour drive to the nation's capital, with its 10 minutes of no cell coverage) we discussed the news story (which had just played over the FM radio band) of the AM legislation.

Another, potentially better, solution would be to require Satellite radio installation in every car. In our experience (Prius) satellite had better coverage than AM although both suffered badly beside hills (in the Adirondacks in the NE states and Newfoundland and parts of the drive along the TransCanada in New Brunswick). It was great in Nebraska (where we had very long stretches of no cell service as well as no FM stations, just occasional AM.)

Obviously, cost is an issue with this; both the cost of installing the hardware as well as the cost of the subscribing. BUT it is possible to open up satellite channels for free (which XM does from time to time in order to offer free trials to either channels or new subscribers) so the government could make a deal with that in exchange for forcing every vehicle owner to have a satellite radio, in the case of an emergency all satellite radios would be able to receive the emergency channels.

Emergency preparedness is something most people don't think about. I do. For instance, I will not buy a mobile phone that does not have the FM chip enabled so that I can get emergency instructions when I am not at home or in my vehicle. In an emergency, I may not have access to my charger or electricity, but my radio will make the most of the battery power in my phone. I also keep my car at a minimum of 80% charged, 90% in the winter, in order to have some range in case of evacuation (bonus, I can charge my phone!) I don't own a satellite radio and wouldn't subscribe to use all its options (I thought I'd miss the stations but the premium connectivity of my car is a MUCH better option for my listening choices since I'm not interested in live sports events) but I still own portable AM radios that form part of my emergency kit.

The key is to have access to it and, on the weekend, I was reminded that that won't always be the case. I arrived home from church not able to park in the building's garage or go to my apartment because of a fire in the building. It was a stove grease fire that had been moved to a balcony, so in fact, nothing to worry about but that just means I was lucky this time. Had it been a major fire or anything else that would block access to my home for an extended length of time I was not prepared. Another AM radio needs to be purchased to keep in the car's emergency kit.

Another, potentially better, solution would be to require Satellite radio installation in every car.

Thanks, good points overall, but I should point out that although satellite communications is reliable during natural disasters, it would be extremely vulnerable war between major military powers. It is can also be affected by solar flares, and does not work as well indoors unless you are within the range of a ground repeater. SiriusXM has built out quite a network of ground repeaters, but will probably never approach the reach of AM.

I have a little Red Cross digital emergency radio that runs on AAA cells. It can also run on Solar on its rechargeable battery or hand crank to charge the battery. I did a little experiment with it in my M3. I tuned it to a couple of local AM stations and drove around town. I found that if I put it on the passenger seat or console there was too much interference . If I held the radio at shoulder level it played well. I tried the same in my ICE car and it played well on the passenger seat or at shoulder level.

I have a little Red Cross digital emergency radio that runs on AAA cells. It can also run on Solar on its rechargeable battery or hand crank to charge the battery. I did a little experiment with it in my M3. I tuned it to a couple of local AM stations and drove around town. I found that if I put it on the passenger seat or console there was too much interference . If I held the radio at shoulder level it played well. I tried the same in my ICE car and it played well on the passenger seat or at shoulder level.

Thank you, that saves me doing the same experiment. I've already picked up one which we keep in the apartment but it would be useful to have a second one for in the car. In a real emergency, shoulder level could be emulated by suspending the radio from the coat hook or perhaps a headrest. I'll add something to jury rig that to my car's emergency kit.

Reactions: dusty22