Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ambient lighting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like that. Where do I get those from please? Are they a nightmare to install?
From here (there's a choice of different colours):

Front footwell ones couldn't be easier to install, just pop the original ones out and put the new ones in.

The rear ones are a bit more involved, need to remove the under dashboard panels to run the wire from the footwell LEDs to the door surround, then you can just tuck the cable up into the door surround and into the join in the carpet leading to the seat rail, then stick the strip on the other side of the seat rail on the M3, or at the front of the seat on the MY. I tried at the front of the seat on the M3 but it barely shined through to the rear footwell due to the seat being so close to the floor.

Oh and there's a colour change version for the front too:

From here (there's a choice of different colours):

Front footwell ones couldn't be easier to install, just pop the original ones out and put the new ones in.

The rear ones are a bit more involved, need to remove the under dashboard panels to run the wire from the footwell LEDs to the door surround, then you can just tuck the cable up into the door surround and into the join in the carpet leading to the seat rail, then stick the strip on the other side of the seat rail on the M3, or at the front of the seat on the MY. I tried at the front of the seat on the M3 but it barely shined through to the rear footwell due to the seat being so close to the floor.
Thanks, very helpful. :) I've already done the front ones on mine, and the pocket lights.. need this to finish it off, although the install sounds more complicated than I hoped.
Can you get coloured pocket lights?!

It’s not too bad really 2 or 3 of those plastic reusable rivets each side, and maybe a torx screw or 2 depending on the model/year. You do have to be brave and yank the front of the panels down, they just unclip at the front and push back in.

Push the led strip though just above this join in the carpet, which can also hide the wire:
E4EAD373-E3FD-489E-BB9D-A2C5391B3503.jpeg
DB358828-2A5B-4321-A5DB-FCE2EE1970C4.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
Sorry, by pocket lights I meant puddle lights. I don't even have pocket lights on my car, as Tesla decided that it didn't need them (at the time) :(

Do you plug both strips into one of the front footwell lights, or does it make sense to wire one into either side?

Sorry, by pocket lights I meant puddle lights. I don't even have pocket lights on my car, as Tesla decided that it didn't need them (at the time) :(

Do you plug both strips into one of the front footwell lights, or does it make sense to wire one into either side?
You do wire one into each side, there wouldn’t be any other way to run the cable.

There are actually ambient lights in the door pockets, at least there was in my M3!

Yes I was exactly the same, really disappointed. I didn't understand why it was removed (but I'd go bald trying to figure out Teslas logic) and tried searching for a retrofit. Annoyingly my SC said I wasn't able to order the pocket lights as it was "region-specific" and the European spec didn't have it and even if I was to source the lights it wouldn't work as the harness was different. The mobile ranger said the same thing when I queried it with him and then went on to say 'be very careful and avoid changing the puddle lights' - his face when he saw the T was priceless.

The process was fairly simple really as long as you don't mind taking apart the door, spicing into wires. My wife was surprised to see me open up a few week old car (glad I did as it turned out 2 of the door cards weren't clipped in properly). I tested from the connector end first to ensure I had the correct wires ie turn off when cars off, comes on when ambient is on etc. I used a test led to do this along with a multimeter - ground and positive is all you need for these. As I wasn't able to get hold of the original lights and had spare led's I just used these and later changed them to led strips (I also had lying around) and just fed it through. The strips stuck nicely to the single piece which comes apart when removing the door card (where the pocket lights are) and looks brighter than the single led. Attached the difference in single led and the strip.
View attachment 611343 View attachment 611344
Do you have a picture/diagram/video to know which wires to tap into, to get the pocket lights working? I see that there is LED present in my 2020 M3 LR DM, but the wires are cut at the end.

Can anyone who has done anything with the rear footwells, including fitting those plastic vent covers, tell (or show) me what the big wrapped up wire looks like under the seat?

I finally got around to fitting my rear footwell lights, ended up attaching them to the rails because the seats are too low to let light through otherwise.

On the left hand side of the car the big wrapped wire thing has a black plastic attachment thing that looks like it should go under the rail. I loosened the bolt and lifted the seat up but this wire wouldn’t budge, so maybe it’s supposed to be like this? It partially covers the vent though as is, which blocks airflow, so I don’t know.

I have an OCD about this stuff so would like to confirm either way..

Attachments

• IMG_7239.jpeg
    IMG_7239.jpeg
    315 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7238.jpeg
    IMG_7238.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 2